What can increase acid reflux and can reflux cause cold symptoms

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So before Xmas I had a really bad throat. Went to dr in case tonsillitis. It wasn’t but she prescribed me omazepole anti acid as said it looked like that. My injections of trulicity has reflux as a side effect.
Yesterday I thought I’d try a day without.
Now I don’t know if the meal was just a recipe for disaster but I had reflux in the afternoon quite bad. To where one bit actually felt like it burnt my throat.
Woke up at 5 this morning with the exact start of the sore throat I had before Xmas (the very backs t the top where the dangly but is). Then I started getting cold symptoms. Given I don5 feel I’ve completely gotten over the virus I had before during and after Xmas I wasn’t overly impressed.
Sitting here now wrapped up warm and my nose needing blowing a lot then I’d get accumulation in throat so I’d have to spit in tissue (sorry for tmi).

im wondering if it is possible I haven’t come down with a cold but am in fact experiencing after effects of the acid reflux, I’m assigning if i5 can irritate throat it can if lying down travel to other parts that join the throat and the nose being one of them, so maybe it’s just an irritation .
Probably just to cheer me up so I know I may not just be doomed into feeling lousy for the next week with a cold, but thought I’d ask.

now the meal I had yesterday was this one from diet dr. As ever I just threw everything in made way too much but I divvy up for the rest of the week. So probably had more cream, defo more pesto and cheese etc. I’m wondering if the cream and cheese etc made it too heavy for me. So does creamy meals increase acid reflux?
I’m supposed to eat this every night now during the week but I’m a bit wary reflux. Oh and I’ve started taking the anti acid again this morning, dr is happy for me to take it but not as a repeat. Says it’s harmless but she wants to monitor it, I’m guessing as it’s side effects of the injections.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-chicken-casserole

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Omeprazole can have various side effects, including reduced absorption of foods due to a lack of acid in the stomach. Which IF the initial problem is too much acid or due to structural issue such as a hiatus hernia then not so likely much of an issue. However reflux type symptoms can often be as a result of too little acid and proton pump inhibitors PPI such as this can actually make the problem worse long term even if short term helpful. Also when you don’t take it there can be a rebound effect where symptoms are apparently worse. Hence drs prefer a short course and if problems don’t resolve then investigate the underlying cause - in your case if it’s not bugs the injection maybe? Weaning off them can help avoid the rebound.

I know the above from much research when I was treated for 4 yrs for reflux, despite my not fitting the typical patterns or responding to the meds as expected and repeatedly checking with several drs at my practice. That turned out to be because it actually never was reflux and only identified as gallstones when I asked a locum if that was the problem!

that all said I’ve never heard of cold symptoms being part of reflux and it really does just sound like another winter bug has got you, possibly still a weakened immune system from the first.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Omeprazole can have various side effects, including reduced absorption of foods due to a lack of acid in the stomach. Which IF the initial problem is too much acid or due to structural issue such as a hiatus hernia then not so likely much of an issue. However reflux type symptoms can often be as a result of too little acid and proton pump inhibitors PPI such as this can actually make the problem worse long term even if short term helpful. Also when you don’t take it there can be a rebound effect where symptoms are apparently worse. Hence drs prefer a short course and if problems don’t resolve then investigate the underlying cause - in your case if it’s not bugs the injection maybe? Weaning off them can help avoid the rebound.

I know the above from much research when I was treated for 4 yrs for reflux, despite my not fitting the typical patterns or responding to the meds as expected and repeatedly checking with several drs at my practice. That turned out to be because it actually never was reflux and only identified as gallstones when I asked a locum if that was the problem!

that all said I’ve never heard of cold symptoms being part of reflux and it really does just sound like another winter bug has got you, possibly still a weakened immune system from the first,

it’s undoutedly the injections because it’s listed on side effects.

gah, I’m sick of feeling sick. Pretty much been ill since med dec in various stages of feeling nasty

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it’s undoutedly the injections because it’s listed on side effects.

gah, I’m sick of feeling sick. Pretty much been ill since med dec in various stages of feeling nasty
Those two sentences kind of contradict each other. You say you’re sick, likely a sore throat cause, yet also blame the side effects. Just because something is listed as a side effect doesn’t mean it will happen or that if it does it’s the only potential cause. In your shoes I’d wait out the bugs and see how things feel then. You should know in a week if the throat issue outlasts the bug or not. Then if it does, address the cause ie likely the meds.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
So before Xmas I had a really bad throat. Went to dr in case tonsillitis. It wasn’t but she prescribed me omazepole anti acid as said it looked like that. My injections of trulicity has reflux as a side effect.
Yesterday I thought I’d try a day without.
Now I don’t know if the meal was just a recipe for disaster but I had reflux in the afternoon quite bad. To where one bit actually felt like it burnt my throat.
Woke up at 5 this morning with the exact start of the sore throat I had before Xmas (the very backs t the top where the dangly but is). Then I started getting cold symptoms. Given I don5 feel I’ve completely gotten over the virus I had before during and after Xmas I wasn’t overly impressed.
Sitting here now wrapped up warm and my nose needing blowing a lot then I’d get accumulation in throat so I’d have to spit in tissue (sorry for tmi).

im wondering if it is possible I haven’t come down with a cold but am in fact experiencing after effects of the acid reflux, I’m assigning if i5 can irritate throat it can if lying down travel to other parts that join the throat and the nose being one of them, so maybe it’s just an irritation .
Probably just to cheer me up so I know I may not just be doomed into feeling lousy for the next week with a cold, but thought I’d ask.

now the meal I had yesterday was this one from diet dr. As ever I just threw everything in made way too much but I divvy up for the rest of the week. So probably had more cream, defo more pesto and cheese etc. I’m wondering if the cream and cheese etc made it too heavy for me. So does creamy meals increase acid reflux?
I’m supposed to eat this every night now during the week but I’m a bit wary reflux. Oh and I’ve started taking the anti acid again this morning, dr is happy for me to take it but not as a repeat. Says it’s harmless but she wants to monitor it, I’m guessing as it’s side effects of the injections.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-chicken-casserole

Hi, I found this on Google :
Causes of heartburn and acid reflux
  • certain food and drink – such as coffee, alcohol, chocolate and fatty or spicy foods.
  • being overweight.
  • smoking.
  • pregnancy.
  • stress and anxiety.
  • some medicines, such as anti-inflammatory painkillers (like ibuprofen)
  • a hiatus hernia – when part of your stomach moves up into your chest
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/heartburn-and-acid-reflux/

Reactions: woollygal

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Those two sentences kind of contradict each other. You say you’re sick, likely a sore throat cause, yet also blame the side effects. Just because something is listed as a side effect doesn’t mean it will happen or that if it does it’s the only potential cause. In your shoes I’d wait out the bugs and see how things feel then. You should know in a week if the throat issue outlasts the bug or not. Then if it does, address the cause ie likely the meds.

sorry I wasn’t clear. I mean the acid reflux is a side effect of the injections so yesterday’s incidence of that is undoubtedly the side effects.
Not the cold is caused by it, I was hoping it was maybe some irritation in the nose cause by reflux but it was a pipe dream I think.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I suffer terribly with acid reflux.
Have been prescient omeprazole twice aday and to have gaviscon advance liquid after each meal and just before bed.

Arsenal79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suffer terribly with acid reflux.
Have been prescient omeprazole twice aday and to have gaviscon advance liquid after each meal and just before bed.
I to is suffering terrible with this I'm on 2 omeprazoles daily and liquid mine came on after a cold after I drank freshly squeezed lemons in hot water big mistake now I'm regretting having that to drink.