LCHF & Cholesterol.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well we know a significant number of "medical people" are completely wrong about T2 so why would cholesterol be any different?

and on the flip side, an even greater number of qualified medical people ( ones that may have spent 5 or so years studying) believe that having a high cholesterol is not the best way to live a healthy life. I would also think that a very significant number of medical people are completely right about T2

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and on the flip side, an even greater number of qualified medical people ( ones that may have spent 5 or so years studying) believe that having a high cholesterol is not the best way to live a healthy life. I would also think that a very significant number of medical people are completely right about T2
The one's who have ignored the orthodoxy certainly are.. those that follow mainstream less so.
Kind of similar to the diet heart hypothesis being the orthodoxy and newer thinking showing that "high cholesterol" has little to no effect on heart health.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cholesterol is the body's response to inflammation. Remove the cause of the inflammation and the body produces less Cholesterol. In my case the cause was carbs so when I reduced them and increased fat my Cholesterol levels dropped.

Reactions: Evie-D

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. A total cholesterol level of 2.7 is too low if you are on statins and the dose needs to be reduced. A cholesterol level that is too low can do as much harm as if it's too high. The body needs it for repair so have a look at the dose and discuss reducing it with the GP. They should know that level could be too low.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I am with you on this. A high cholestrol is not good for you.

As with all things in life, take everything in moderation, carbs, fats , calories, fibre etc and remember we are all different.

High cholesterol isn't good for some, that is true. However, people with high cholesterol have had CAC scans done and have been shown to be clear of disease. So, the idea that it is automatically bad just doesn't hold up. This is where difference comes comes into play I think.

I think if someone has a history of heart disease or is concerned about it, a scan is the best diagnostic tool available and it's rather cheap, but it is very accurate because it looks into the arteries and is non-invasive. Without the ratios and fasting, total cholesterol is a poor marker, as is LDL, but the ratios are important and so are the trig levels. These just give an indication of things per blood test that day. It doesn't mean you have heart disease and it doesn't mean you don't if you have accumulated damage over the years, but changed your diet to a healthier one.

I think if someone really wants to know, then a CAC scan is the way to go.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please help me understand what you are saying. High cholesterol is not a problem to you and your heart??

Hi,

It depends on the type running through the system..? Most the time one gets an overal figure without the break down then possibly offered statins "just incase."

I suppose it's a little like the wrong mix or wrong sort of coolant in the car's system? Possible in the long term clogged rad & or heater matrix, failing corroded pipes, rad or pump. Or costly head failure with an overheat??

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/high-cholesterol/cholesterol-levels/

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please help me understand what you are saying. High cholesterol is not a problem to you and your heart??

Correct.

It's an old myth.. people who have heart attacks have all different levels of cholesterol low and high.

Read the thread I posted a link to.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For anyone not sure about the low/high cholesterol issue it's worth having a look at the recent research - start with the HUNT 2 study published in 2012

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3303886/

The conclusion says:
"Our study provides an updated epidemiological indication of possible errors in the CVD risk algorithms of many clinical guidelines. If our findings are generalizable, clinical and public health recommendations regarding the ‘dangers’ of cholesterol should be revised. This is especially true for women, for whom moderately elevated cholesterol (by current standards) may prove to be not only harmless but even beneficial."

Reactions: AloeSvea and Evie-D

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Yep all the old nonsense that we've had since the 70's regurgitated once more.

"bad cholesterol" ... odd that LDL - so called "bad cholesterol" - doesn't feature in any risk calculation for heart attack risk don't you think?

The thread is above if you want to read it.

I will do over the weekend

Reactions: zand

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Taking Atorvastatin affected my memory very badly - I have had to relearn a lot, and I find that there are holes in my recollections even now, which I suspect means that some memories have gone for ever.

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think your heart may disagree with you on that?

This is a highly contentious area and cholesterol is definitely not the simplistic idea touted to the masses - all of us - over many years. Lots of really informative threads on here - well worth informing yourself FULLY before making a decision - most GPs and DN's unfortunately seem to be very ill informed and simply tout the old ideas over and over.
It is however, much more widely accepted now that Total Cholesterol is pretty meaningless as a number on its own and the ratios are far more important, as is the particle size (which is not routinely tested in the UK at all.) I wish CAC scans were more available too. We deserve better here in the UK, TBH..............

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am across this today. A very easy to understand presentation about cholesterol

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am with you on this. A high cholestrol is not good for you.

As with all things in life, take everything in moderation, carbs, fats , calories, fibre etc and remember we are all different.

100% disagree about the "high cholesterol is not good for you". That is an old perception based on flawed "science"and I can only advise people to research this quite thoroughly as not all is as it seems and mantras we were indoctrinated in over years are a load of nonsense with a measure of disingenuity and untruth mixed in.........

Only thing I agree with is that we are all different...........and we should all make fully informed decisions about our lives. Emphasis being on the FULLY........