Hiya Sugar lovers... I am new here.

Daz007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Apple pie and custard.
Well hello everyone, if we didn't love sugars we wouldn't be here, maybe.

This is my first post, I am T2D on insulin, only recently px and my weight has ballooned!

My burning question is:

At what BG level does the body switch to burn fat?

I trying low carb and IF so it would be helpful if I knew what to aim for with BG levels, I assume below 5.8 ?

(I did a forum search for this, nowt answered)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @Daz007,

Welcome to the forum. Glad you found us.

Ketosis only happens if insulin is low -- so it has nothing directly to do with blood sugars. (Think of diabetic acidosis -- where there is very high blood sugars and low insulin.) However, for most of us T2s, who have enough endogeneous insulin, of course high blood sugars trigger an insulin response and therefore prevents ketosis.

So, the mechanism for ketosis is to lower insulin by eating fewer carbs as to not cause an insulin response. However, as you are injecting exogeneous insulin, I would suggest carefully monitoring blood sugars if you decide to decrease carbs. Cutting out carbs is a very powerful tool to lower blood sugars and combined with insulin might push you into hypo territory.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robbity

Daz007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Apple pie and custard.
Thank you ziggy.

That is very useful info. I monitor my sugars when doing the low carb, so much so, I ran out of my sticks and bought more. Ive reduced my insulin use by over 50% so far, since trying low carb and some IF....and lost 7lbs.

I get the feeling insulin meds add to the problems, I was on an ever increasing dose and my weight was gaining rapidly. Using the BG sticks has helped motivate me as I can see instantly the benefits of low carb. Rather than a weekly jump on the bathroom scales.

Ive had one hypo and learned from it lol.

Maybe the next question is:

At what BG levels can ketosis indirectly occur? I imagine it cant happen with a high BG level, directly or indirectly?

Reactions: KB1978

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes a T2 shouldn't normally need insulin but if you have excess weight GPs may prescribe it to try to help with BS but as you have found it can be a vicious circle. If you low-carb the weight should come down and the need for insulin to reduce - hopefully to nothing

Daz007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Apple pie and custard.
Thank you Diabell that makes sense.

What I aim to do, is have a target BG level so I know that I am burning fat, using low carb, fasting and exercise. In a careful manner, testing very often. If no one can suggest otherwise I am aiming for below 7.

Whether I can do this is another matter, but I am doing ok.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't need any medication but by eating a low carb diet I usually see no more than 7.5mmol/l after eating.
I eat twice a day, and have under 40 gm of carbs a day, usually split 10 in the morning and the rest in the evening.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Daz007

I agree with the previous posters that you need to be very careful when on medication to reduce your blood sugars and test regularly.

Another thought is to get specific tests for ketones. Some meters can measure both- I got one of these so I could measure- I don't use it very frequently as the first meter I bought couldn't but it gave me some reassurance when I was starting. There are also ketone sticks which I know some use.

As far as I know there is no specific blood sugar level to show you are in ketosis- but I don't know for sure so a good question and I will keep reading g this thread.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Daz007,

I am not aware if there any specific blood sugar level at which you would be guaranteed to be in ketosis (it would of course also very much depend on how you got there -- i.e. by fasting or eating low car or by injecting insulin). I agree with @VashtiB, your best option would be to get ketostix to test your urine. They are relatively inexpensive.

May I ask you a question? Why is it that you want to be in ketosis? You are already seeing the benefits of going lower carb and being in nutritional ketosis might not even be necessary to get where you want to be.

Daz007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Apple pie and custard.
Thanks for all the replies, I think yes to all the comments. I have been supplied with the keto dip sticks, so yes I will look at using them (didnt think of it doh!). Ziggy I want to lose weight hence want ketosis.

Resurgam I want to do the same as you, but gradually and carefully of course.

Is it possible to have a low BG and not be in Ketosis?

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Thanks for all the replies, I think yes to all the comments. I have been supplied with the keto dip sticks, so yes I will look at using them (didnt think of it doh!). Ziggy I want to lose weight hence want ketosis.

Resurgam I want to do the same as you, but gradually and carefully of course.

My BG is stable with low carb and a 1:1 protein, fat ratio. I think the extra protein had knocked me out of ketosis. I’m probably making some ketones since I was pretty fat adapted.. BTW my weight is still dropping since I’m in a slight calorie deficit

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

As far as I know this is perfectly possible.
It is also possible to have a high BG and be in ketosis.
[This is a potentially dangerous position, especially for T1s.]

As I understand it the primary source for BG is dietary carbohydrates.
When those run out there are limited glucose stores in the body.
When those run out, as the body (mainly parts of the brain) requires glucose to work, the body (liver) produces glucose from mainly fats, although if the going gets tough muscle can also be converted.

Minimising your carbohydrate intake can encourage the body to be in more or less permanent ketosis but this isn't directly linked to BG levels because there other factors such as insulin levels and glucagon levels which are used to regulate BG levels.

Many people will dip into ketosis overnight when their body runs low on BG.
This is perfectly normal.

Daz007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Apple pie and custard.
The replies here are all helpful without exception, I am grateful :).

Probably answered my own question and it fits with the comments posted above....my BG is 6 right now, Ive fasted and exercised like ****, used a ketone stick and its zero. I am miffed ! I probably have hardened insulin resistance, its stubborn like me lol (but trying to change). BG and ketosis not linked directly, I get it now (eventually :facepalm:).

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I did not do gradually or carefully.
When I was diagnosed as type two diabetic and told I was a very bad diabetic I ordered a whole hogget at the butchers on the way home, and bought pork chops at the same time.
For two days I ate nothing but the pork chops and then beef - I think it was that way round, and then I added in a salad, and went back to Atkins-ing.
I have always been happiest on a low carb diet and I had been instructed to eat carbs to lower my cholesterol level - but I had just put on weight.
The Metformin and a statin I was given to take made me very ill, but I threw them away and just kept to the diet. I was no longer in the diabetic range in 80 days from diagnosis. That is probably why I always felt so well eating LCHF as per the Atkins diet - or way of eating, as it is described. At the test at 6 months I was in the normal range, so I have just stuck to what I was doing.
Perhaps I should have been more cautious - but I used to ride my 650 BSA motorcycle under 'Spitfire Bridge' and long for wings.....

Benodel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Traditional Politics
Hi everybody, I am new to this forum. I am a T2D on metformin but not needed any for the past 4 weeks since I went on a LCD.
I was looking for information about Lidl low GI bread when I saw this group. Keep up the good work

Reactions: MrsA2

Daz007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Apple pie and custard.
Hello Benodel well done!

Low GI bread, not a fan. Hence I bake my own bread, so I know whats in it, I use the no knead method. I ration myself to two small slices per day...at the most! I use wholemeal flour, oats and various ground seeds and olive oil. Obviously wont touch it when fasting. I try to make it my only carb.