Sleep clinic

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all as some may already know i struggle with my sleep & i know its a important for my diabetes control and my mental and physical health.

Has anyone been to a sleep clinic? .

Has it helped them with their sleep?

Im going to ask my gp to refer me since its definitely effecting my life.

Thank you.

Reactions: C_Wilson_14

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I went to a sleep clinic, they diagnosed me with sleep apnea and provided a CPAP machine for a trial. It ended up making my daytime breathing worse, and I'm now trying to return it (covid regulations being particularly awkward for apparatus you breathe through).

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went to a sleep clinic, they diagnosed me with sleep apnea and provided a CPAP machine for a trial. It ended up making my daytime breathing worse, and I'm now trying to return it (covid regulations being particularly awkward for apparatus you breathe through).

Hey, my nurse recommended i ask my gp about it but due to coronavirus i can understand that would be difficult, i hope you're better now!

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried taking supplements, such as magnesium and potassium? They're muscle relaxants. How about a calcium supplement? Calcium is the ingredient that makes a cup of warm milk before bed help us sleep, milk is carby so maybe a calcium supplement could help? (I take two tablets of a calcium, magnesium and potassium combined tablet which helps me).

Tryptophan is the amino acid that the body uses to make sleep-inducing serotonin and melatonin, the relaxing neurotransmitters that slow down nerve traffic and stop the brain buzzing, it's found in chicken, eggs, pumpkin and sesame seeds, peanuts, fish and cheese.

Lycopene is also a good one, found in tomatoes - tomato ketchup is a good source.

I'm just 'brain storming' for you - it's horrible not being able to sleep.

Reactions: Circuspony

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried taking supplements, such as magnesium and potassium? They're muscle relaxants. How about a calcium supplement? Calcium is the ingredient that makes a cup of warm milk before bed help us sleep, milk is carby so maybe a calcium supplement could help? (I take two tablets of a calcium, magnesium and potassium combined tablet which helps me).

Tryptophan is the amino acid that the body uses to make sleep-inducing serotonin and melatonin, the relaxing neurotransmitters that slow down nerve traffic and stop the brain buzzing, it's found in chicken, eggs, pumpkin and sesame seeds, peanuts, fish and cheese.

Lycopene is also a good one, found in tomatoes - tomato ketchup is a good source.

I'm just 'brain storming' for you - it's horrible not being able to sleep.

I will give it a try, magnesium, potassium and calcium, - yes, its definitely horrible i need to get up for work at 5am & my manager at work have noticed me slow and not quick; i have followed the NHS tips and nothing has worked, i literally lay in bed from 9pm to 5am but i have noticed i do feel sleepy around 4am-5am, if nothing works maybe i need to change my work-hours.

Thank you!

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried Tesco Herbal Sleep Aid, Asda Sleep Aid tablets or Wilko Sleep Aid Tablets (same supplier - identical tablets) There are other brands too. Take 2 when going to bed.

Contains extracts of Hop Strobile, Valerian and Passion Flower A traditional herbal medicinal product used for the temporary relief of sleep disturbances, based on traditional use only.

Stop watching TV and using mobile phones one hour before going to bed. Absolutely no TV watching or use of mobile phone in bed. These gadgets emit radiation that makes the body believe it is day time.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried Tesco Herbal Sleep Aid, Asda Sleep Aid tablets or Wilko Sleep Aid Tablets (same supplier - identical tablets) There are other brands too. Take 2 when going to bed.

Contains extracts of Hop Strobile, Valerian and Passion Flower A traditional herbal medicinal product used for the temporary relief of sleep disturbances, based on traditional use only.

Stop watching TV and using mobile phones one hour before going to bed. Absolutely no TV watching or use of mobile phone in bed. These gadgets emit radiation that makes the body believe it is day time.

I have tried them, they don't work for me.
& yes i have followed all those steps switch phone off, avoid light, and dont have caffeine close to bed.

I will give whatever has been suggested a try.

Daz007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Apple pie and custard.
I am on CPAP, Sleep Apnea apparently its caused by a large tongue....not kidding! It blocks the windpipe when sleeping on your side.

My problem was made worse due to diabetes I could sleep all day and all night. Insulin helped loads, but now I need to stop that and get a grip of my over carb use.

Sorry I realize thats the opposite of your post here.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I know you are having issues with blood glucose levels being high, and that could be a cause of sleep issues. High levels during the night?