Type 1 Has anyone with type 1 diabetes had Covid? I’m worried as my 19 year old son type 1 may have it

colc

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone with type 1 diabetes had Covid? I’m worried as my 19 year old son type 1 may have it

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know a T1 friend of mine had it (a few years younger than me so decidedly older than 19), he had a fever for 3weeks and then still felt awful for another 4-5 weeks after, including having stomach issues, but he never had any breathing problems though and didn't need to go to hospital - but he was very frustrated and fed up about it (he was off work for about 8 weeks in total and yes he can work from home)

MarkHaZ123

Iv just been tested today as a friend who played at footy last week has tested positive.
Iv had symptoms the last couple of days so I'd say Iv got it but knowing me it will come back negative which is good but doesn't explain why I feel like I do

My bloods have been OK. Maybe going down slower than normal but they've always come down

Currently got a sore throat, feel hot and Iv got a stinking headache I just can't get rid of at all. I feel tired all the time.
Iv not noticed any change to other things really

Would prefer not to have it but will deal with it if I have, a little scared with been diabetic and been type 1 so tried to do some research on how others have dealt with it but not doing too much as I might not have it

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@MarkHaZ123 sorry you're feeling unwell, and do hope it's not Covid, but if it is, hope that you only get it mildly and recover quickly. The same for your son @colc. Sending hugs to you both. If you're under the care of a hospital team, it would be worth contacting them on Monday.
I've read about other type 1 diabetics that have had it and recovered ok without ongoing symptoms.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Iv just been tested today as a friend who played at footy last week has tested positive.
Iv had symptoms the last couple of days so I'd say Iv got it but knowing me it will come back negative which is good but doesn't explain why I feel like I do

My bloods have been OK. Maybe going down slower than normal but they've always come down

Currently got a sore throat, feel hot and Iv got a stinking headache I just can't get rid of at all. I feel tired all the time.
Iv not noticed any change to other things really

Would prefer not to have it but will deal with it if I have, a little scared with been diabetic and been type 1 so tried to do some research on how others have dealt with it but not doing too much as I might not have it

I’ve been feeling the same, the kids came back from school with cold symptoms & it’s ripped through the household. I’ve also taken a test but expect it to come back negative, you might be slightly more at rush since you know you’ve had contact with a positive case But this cold going around is hard hitting.

My BG have been running high & sometimes spiking over 12 but do come down. I’m just keeping an eye on ketones & using the sick day rules as appropriate.

From what I’ve read T1 are more at risk from high BG & ketones when having Covid so I would apply the same rules as DKA regarding when to get extra medical help.

MarkHaZ123

Thankfully it came back negative but still feeling a little bad

Iv actually had a sinus infection since March but as the ENT department haven't been working much over the last few months Iv just never been sent to them.
I'm going to push tomorrow to see them as I think the way I feel is down to that and it's just got worse coinsiding with my mate been positive this week

Everyone on the team came back negative thankfully

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the update, glad test was negative for everyone.
That's a long time to have had a sinus infection. I know how grotty they can make you feel. Hope you can get referred, but I had a phone call last week from initial appointments dept re referral gp had made for me, and the guy said be prepared to wait a long time. They've got such huge backlogs, I'm not sure when I'll be seen, especially with Covid rates rising.

MarkHaZ123

Thanks for the update, glad test was negative for everyone.
That's a long time to have had a sinus infection. I know how grotty they can make you feel. Hope you can get referred, but I had a phone call last week from initial appointments dept re referral gp had made for me, and the guy said be prepared to wait a long time. They've got such huge backlogs, I'm not sure when I'll be seen, especially with Covid rates rising.
Yeah I expect a long wait. Tbh Iv waited 6 months just for them to finally refer me today and also get me in for bloods etc to see if there is any infections there causing the issues I have

I would say most hospital departments are going to be the same, just a huge backlog of people