Type 1 Hba1c

Jimmyk

Hi I am 56 years old and diagnosed type 1 in may this year.I take 10 units of lantus once a day with no fast acting at all.My hba1c at diagnosis was 101 and now it is 48 which is amazing but just wondering could I continue like this for years to come.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there

Well done but be careful, a sudden plummet in hba1c can do damage rather than good, I know as I've been there myself

What do you mean by continue like this for years to come? Do you mean only taking lantus? Then yes its a possibility, you'll currently be in the honeymood period, my honeymoon I needed only 1 unit of my Tresiba and used fast acting but on a 1:25g ratio for a good while, this lasted for 2 years for me but everyones honeymood period is different

If I've got what your asking wrong then please do say
xx

Jimmyk

Thankyou for your reply it’s much appreciated but I think I could be in the honeymoon period for a few years just like your self which I’m quite happy with

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most don't have an extended honeymoon like I did, I only did because I was severely underweight, I wouldn't get your hopes up is all I'm saying and be prepared to adjust etc as soon as problems and patterns start arising xx

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Right ok I went from 101 on diagnosis to 33 next check

Less than a month after I was diagnosed I developed diabetic macular oedema which required numerous eylea eye injections, a huge drop can cause real damage to eyes and other things so it isn't the best way to go about things, and yes the opthalmologist and my D consultant have both said my eyes were due to the hba1c drop
xx