Type 2 low/high blood sugar levels

caboffice1

Hi All, I am type 2 ,until recently I have had no problems until 4 weeks ago. and I have had daily low levels readings where I Cant get up because I am feel so weak. Then I eat and it goes up only for it to come back down quickly. I then this week had high level readings that I have not had before, my concern is in the night if it goes so low I will go in a coma . I am going for blood test monday but I am stressing any guidance I would so appreciate it

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All, I am type 2 ,until recently I have had no problems until 4 weeks ago. and I have had daily low levels readings where I Cant get up because I am feel so weak. Then I eat and it goes up only for it to come back down quickly. I then this week had high level readings that I have not had before, my concern is in the night if it goes so low I will go in a coma . I am going for blood test monday but I am stressing any guidance I would so appreciate it
Hi @caboffice1 , and welcome to the forum!
May I ask, what kind of meds are you on?
Wish you all the best!

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome @caboffice1,

That sounds very frustrating. It would be helpful to have a little bit more information so that people can give useful advice. Specifically not would be good to know how long you have been diagnosed what type of diabetes you have, what medication if any you are on and what your diet is like.

For me- as a Type 2 diagnosed a year or so ago I have found that eating low carb has kept my blood sugar levels in the normal range with no other medication other than metformin. When I was diagnosed my doctor recommended that I eat 'healthy' carbs as part of my diet. This did not suit my body at all and I had high blood sugar levels.

Of course things like stress and illness also effect my b blood sugar levels and some medication also.

Welcome to the forums.

caboffice1

Hi All, I have been diagnosed three years ago only problems I had was last year a handful of lows. Recently They have dropped real quick I am on metformin morning and evening this started 4 weeks ago with low 3.4 then it went this week to 20 sorry I cant convert the numbers only what I See on the monitoring machine cut out bread trying to abide eating low carbs I do panic when it goes really low because I Don't understand why.

caboffice1

Hello and welcome @caboffice1,

That sounds very frustrating. It would be helpful to have a little bit more information so that people can give useful advice. Specifically not would be good to know how long you have been diagnosed what type of diabetes you have, what medication if any you are on and what your diet is like.

For me- as a Type 2 diagnosed a year or so ago I have found that eating low carb has kept my blood sugar levels in the normal range with no other medication other than metformin. When I was diagnosed my doctor recommended that I eat 'healthy' carbs as part of my diet. This did not suit my body at all and I had high blood sugar levels.

Of course things like stress and illness also effect my b blood sugar levels and some medication also.

Welcome to the forums.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are not taking insulin or any medication which could lower glucose levels then you are unlikely to go into a coma - but it is also unusual to see very low levels in type two diabetes, though there is reactive hypoglycaemia which is an over response to eating carbohydrate.
It is a good thing you are going to see your doctor soon, as it needs sorting out, we can only say what the possibilities are, not what might be your problem. Whatever it is, carbs are not going to help long term, though Metformin might not be helping as it restricts the liver putting out glucose, which migh be what you need to correct these mysterious lows.

annmcs

Hi i am new to this forum had T2 for 9ys but been on Metformin but not anymore as sugars high i am now on
gliptozide and having to check my blood sugars now but i am totally confused its coming up at 19 sometimes 9 before meals my results from dr was 8.5.Ab/c1 but this meter is showing mml whats the difference . Can you help me understan this please

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi i am new to this forum had T2 for 9ys but been on Metformin but not anymore as sugars high i am now on
gliptozide and having to check my blood sugars now but i am totally confused its coming up at 19 sometimes 9 before meals my results from dr was 8.5.Ab/c1 but this meter is showing mml whats the difference . Can you help me understan this please
Yeah there are a few ways of recording which confuses things. Interesting your dr gave 8.5 as that’s the old way of reporting values. (I still tend to think in that way myself as I’ve been diabetic for over a decade and that’s the way I understand)

this might help:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

Did they add the drugs alongside your metformin?

What’s your diet like at the moment? I had levels higher than your earlier in the year, I dropped to 46 (6.4%) and lost over 18kg by reducing my carbs to <130g a day, weight loss and exercise. Some on here go even lower carb and get amazing weight loss and blood results. I’m now trying even fewer carbs. But everyone is different