Tescos got it very wrong...

zenabubbles

I just wanted to share that (admittedly this was a while ago), at my local Tescos in Brooklands they had a table display for promoting Diabetes awareness, and on the same display they had a large bowl of sweets to help yourself to. I did bring it to their attention at the time saying this was not helpful and what kind of message did they think they were giving? But they were not interested in my rant, so I'm putting it on here.... if I ever see anything like this again I would take it much further.

Reactions: Bex72 and ert

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That'll be the same Tesco plc that is a corporate partner of Diabetes UK
Screenshot 2020-09-12 at 12.01.59.png

They are so wedded to CICO that sweets would be considered fine in "moderation".
I bet the stall had Diabetes UK labelling all over it too?

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I encountered the same display in our local Tesco a couple of years ago and said more or less the same to the girl that was manning it.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I resigned my membership of Diabetes UK after they signed on with Britvic. I wrote and asked if they thought it sent the wrong signal to be linked with a company who produce high sugar products and their response was that they could change things at Britvic now they were linked up together. As far as I know they haven't been very successful. I doubt my membership fees or lack thereof will have impacted them much but I felt I had to make a stand

Reactions: JenniferM55

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I resigned my membership of Diabetes UK after they signed on with Britvic. I wrote and asked if they thought it sent the wrong signal to be linked with a company who produce high sugar products and their response was that they could change things at Britvic now they were linked up together. As far as I know they haven't been very successful. I doubt my membership fees or lack thereof will have impacted them much but I felt I had to make a stand
I resigned a few years back when they kept promoting a high-carb diet. If enough of us resign it might, just might, have a small effect.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I encountered the same display in our local Tesco a couple of years ago and said more or less the same to the girl that was manning it.

I think I remember posts about this or something similar a while back, with photos of the displays...

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I just wanted to share that (admittedly this was a while ago), at my local Tescos in Brooklands they had a table display for promoting Diabetes awareness, and on the same display they had a large bowl of sweets to help yourself to. I

Maybe the sweets were meant as an aid an aid for hypo T1s ? :) (Anyone know if there is a sarcasm emoticon?)