Freestyle libre waiting time

mossys

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

Is there a certain time frame I'm looking at from when my consultant / DSN agreed to the freestyle libre to actually receiving it. Or is it just a case of them adding it to my prescription to be available straight away?

Thanks.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
It will have to go through a DSN committee meeting to be signed off so that can take weeks, depending on when the next one is. You also have to attend a training course organised through Abbott first. I suggest you sign up for their next one straight away. Mine took a month after it was first agreed to receiving the prescription at the end of the Abbott training day. Hope it's organised soon.

Reactions: mossys

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it completely depends where in the country you are, where I am in Scotland we had to book ourselves onto an education session and do the Libre Academy thing, when we attended the session we had to take proof of the course so certificate of completion, a repeat prescription, we were then given the starter kit and the dietician wrote to our GP's requesting the sensors be added to our prescription, my sensors were ready to be collected from the chemist the following week, I waited a few months to do the session but thats only as I had to wait until someone was available to drive me there for the 9am start time as there are no buses that would have had me there in time but when I booked my place there were still places available for the week after that week so couldv'e had it much sooner xx

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think in my area you also had to go on a training course before starting - though since I'd already been self-funding for 2 years before getting on prescription they allowed me to skip the training course and once the hospital finally sorted out a letter for my doctor (which I had to go collect) and then once the doctors got said letter they were added to my prescription.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It will have to go through a DSN committee meeting to be signed off so that can take weeks, depending on when the next one is. You also have to attend a training course organised through Abbott first. I suggest you sign up for their next one straight away. Mine took a month after it was first agreed to receiving the prescription at the end of the Abbott training day. Hope it's organised soon.

It must differ in areas. I have never heard of the Abbots training course? My Diabetes team/Consultant said I could have one (by fitting fairly strict criteria they said), I did attend a weeks diabetes course (unconnected with the Libre) during which they said 'You do NOT have to go on a course to get a Libre no matter what you are being told'. After the course they then said 'We have one for you, come and get it'. x

mossys

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for all your replies

Bit of back ground to my question.

Last month after many years of asking about funding for Dexcom or the freestyle libre my Consultant agreed he could get me started on the freestyle straight away, no problem. He also hoped to set up the Dexcom G6 due to having the budget left over because COVID had put a stop to new pumps being issued. I was over the moon with this. The G6 combined with my T-slim pump would be a dream come true.
The next week I emailed asking about time frames. I received a reply advising the G6 wouldn't now be funded due to the budget being consumed by COVID ( I understand the situation and the need) and their need to appoint a team to manage this workload and give them time to formalise the standard operating procedure for this system of the G6. The email also stated my DSN had re-activated the request for freestyle libre.
I have hypo unawareness and compatible pump so thinking this is why my Consultant suggested the G6.

I would ask my DSN but thinking my previous email about timeframe but her and my consultants backs up.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can only speak for France, it was over 3years ago now, I saw my consultant on Thursday got my prisciption went to the pharmacy on Friday picked up my first 2 sensers and the libre meter on Saturday, I was surpposed to go and see the hospital nurse on the following Wednesday but decided to fit it on straight away, the nurse was quite happy with what I had done, but I have to say I have never been happy with just the libre I have always found them not to be accurate enough for me, so at the moment I use the libre with the xdrip and miao miao and a smartwatch I find this much better as I can calibrate it and it gives me warning of highs and lows, still I wish you well when you get your libre

Mark in Spain

Hello Peter
I get my freestyle libre 2 sensors on the national health in Spain where I live and am given 3 months supply at a time. I really cant fault its accurecy, I check my sugurs every few day on my one touch machine. and it all marries up very close. are the sensors free in France?

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thats good that they are accurate for you, yes they are free, I just found on their own with no calibration I could not trust the readings maybe just me having been a diabetic for 51 years with little notice when I go low I need to keep my control as tight as I can

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had about 3 months (February-May of this year) between my consultant mentioning it and getting the libre starter kit. The training session I should have had was cancelled because of covid. I'm not sure if it's normally less than 3 months and they were holding off giving it to me without the training in case things improved and the training could go ahead

mossys

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In the last Week I have received email invitation for 6 month trail and sensor starter pack, LibreLink and libreview. Sensor should arrive next week and prescription being organized