Sourdough Bread

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Confession! I'm scared of carbs, I'm a pitiful carb addict! :nailbiting:

There's been a few low carb 'bread threads' on here over the last few days. I know I have to be super careful because I know I can easily slip into baking lovely goodies made with almond and coconut flour every day.... and I've got loads of 'excuses' ready to indulge!

For nearly 2 months I've been really good and have not really gone over 16g of carbs a day (calories; I've not been so good). At the moment I'm flagging, not for sweet things, but for a slice of bread or two. I made cream of chicken and mushroom soup the other day.... a slice of bread would have been great with the dish. I'm also missing boiled eggs with 'soldiers' :(

I don't want to be on a 'keto diet', but I do want to continue on a keto way of eating, and I have to be realistic - otherwise I know as in the past, I'll break my resolve if I'm too rigid. This past week I've stopped recording every morsel, I felt I was getting extreme and obsessive. I need to 'relax' around food.

My bedtime reading at the moment is Ben Bikman's book "Why We Get Sick" - last night I read the following:

"The benefits of fermented foods

When bacteria are fermenting a food, like a grain, they're not eating the small amounts of fat or protein but rather the starches; bacteria eat glucose. Thus, by eating the starches in the fermenting food, the bacteria help us by lowering the amount of sugars we consume, thereby lowing the effects of the food on blood glucose and insulin............... Sourdough, in which natural bacteria allow the bread to rise over time and in the absence of the ubiquitous 'fast acting' yeast, is another remnant of fermented foods in the West. Moreover, sourdough breads have a significantly lower effect on blood glucose compared with normal bread, even when made of the same grains.

If you're in the market for sourdough bread, pay close attention: many are fake. Most 'sourdough' breads in your supermarket are actually normal bread with vinegar added to mimic the tart flavour of the real thing. True sourdough bread, rarely sold in supermarkets, will mention 'sourdough starter' among the ingredients; it's usually sold in speciality or health food shops. And it's worth it."

Before I was diagnosed T2 in July I made my own sourdough... and I destroyed my starter when I decided to start keto again. It'll take about 10 days to make another starter..... which is giving me 10 days to think about how to handle this. I must admit, I did enjoy baking sourdough, and I miss the 'hobby'.

Am I kidding myself.... :grumpy:

Hotpepper20000

Confession! I'm scared of carbs, I'm a pitiful carb addict! :nailbiting:

There's been a few low carb 'bread threads' on here over the last few days. I know I have to be super careful because I know I can easily slip into baking lovely goodies made with almond and coconut flour every day.... and I've got loads of 'excuses' ready to indulge!

For nearly 2 months I've been really good and have not really gone over 16g of carbs a day (calories; I've not been so good). At the moment I'm flagging, not for sweet things, but for a slice of bread or two. I made cream of chicken and mushroom soup the other day.... a slice of bread would have been great with the dish. I'm also missing boiled eggs with 'soldiers' :(

I don't want to be on a 'keto diet', but I do want to continue on a keto way of eating, and I have to be realistic - otherwise I know as in the past, I'll break my resolve if I'm too rigid. This past week I've stopped recording every morsel, I felt I was getting extreme and obsessive. I need to 'relax' around food.

My bedtime reading at the moment is Ben Bikman's book "Why We Get Sick" - last night I read the following:

"The benefits of fermented foods

When bacteria are fermenting a food, like a grain, they're not eating the small amounts of fat or protein but rather the starches; bacteria eat glucose. Thus, by eating the starches in the fermenting food, the bacteria help us by lowering the amount of sugars we consume, thereby lowing the effects of the food on blood glucose and insulin............... Sourdough, in which natural bacteria allow the bread to rise over time and in the absence of the ubiquitous 'fast acting' yeast, is another remnant of fermented foods in the West. Moreover, sourdough breads have a significantly lower effect on blood glucose compared with normal bread, even when made of the same grains.

If you're in the market for sourdough bread, pay close attention: many are fake. Most 'sourdough' breads in your supermarket are actually normal bread with vinegar added to mimic the tart flavour of the real thing. True sourdough bread, rarely sold in supermarkets, will mention 'sourdough starter' among the ingredients; it's usually sold in speciality or health food shops. And it's worth it."

Before I was diagnosed T2 in July I made my own sourdough... and I destroyed my starter when I decided to start keto again. It'll take about 10 days to make another starter..... which is giving me 10 days to think about how to handle this. I must admit, I did enjoy baking sourdough, and I miss the 'hobby'.

Am I kidding myself.... :grumpy:
I won’t touch grains any more. They make my whole body ache and spike my blood sugar, fermented or not.

There are other ways of incorporating fermented foods in your daily diet.
Sour Kraut is easy to make and doesn’t taste anything like store bought. Also if you look online there are various ways to ferment other vegetables.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I won’t touch grains any more. They make my whole body ache and spike my blood sugar, fermented or not.

There are other ways of incorporating fermented foods in your daily diet.
Sour Kraut is easy to make and doesn’t taste anything like store bought. Also if you look online there are various ways to ferment other vegetables.

Sour Kraut doesn't really touch the spot for me. I guess I'm trying to 'replicate' my previous way of eating, making it less carby and more healthier.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess I'm trying to 'replicate' my previous way of eating, making it less carby and more healthier.

Sorry to say I think you are trying to pander to your old food addictions.
I'd really advise against it very strongly.
It takes a long time to overcome and using "substitutes" makes the process even harder.
I found out the hard way.. be strong and get healthy for a year before trying and hopefully you'll find the substitutes both tasteless and unnecessary

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to say I think you are trying to pander to your old food addictions.
I'd really advise against it very strongly.
It takes a long time to overcome and using "substitutes" makes the process even harder.
I found out the hard way.. be strong and get healthy for a year before trying and hopefully you'll find the substitutes both tasteless and unnecessary

Think probably I needed this reply :( - thank you :depressed:

Reactions: bulkbiker

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm also missing boiled eggs with 'soldiers' :(

@bulkbiker makes a good point, but have you tried halloumi fries? Chop halloumi into chip sized pieces and air fry or fry until golden. Even better, wrap them in bacon first. They’re delicious.

There’s also fathead dough, or if you want to avoid having baking goods such as almond flour in stock, I make a carnivore dough using ground pork rinds, grated cheese and cream cheese. I use it for pizza, but it could be cut into soldiers.

Reactions: JenniferM55

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Think probably I needed this reply :( - thank you :depressed:

Jennifer, I agree with Bulkbiker in that it could be a slippery slope. A lot depends on the type of person you are as well. I buy good quality sourdough in a whole loaf form. I then pluck a small amount off the end and take the soft bready bit out leaving just a small piece of crust, (probably around two mouthfuls).This is enough for me but I appreciate that some might find it tempting to eat the whole loaf. The two mouthfuls (for me) are better than not eating it. I could use insulin I know but it's tricky to handle so I know that this small amount needs no insulin. I'm KK123 and I'm a bread addict...there, I've admitted it. x

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Yes, it very much depends both on the strength of your 'carb addiction' and on your own personality.
Personally I'm better off ditching them completely and instead eating, or even over-eating something that I like and that I know won't either harm me or fuel my hunger.

But perhaps some people don't have anything that fits the bill.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jennifer, I understand where you are coming from with baking. For months I avoided buying any special ingredients or using any sweetner but I never said "never" and I did enjoy making and eating a coffee cake (reduced recipe to a third) and some biscuits to celebrate a friends birthday.
My problem would be quantity, once I start I don't think I could stop at one slice, and I'm frightened of the cost of the ingredients
But to satisfy my occasional need for 'bread' I use a simple one slice recipe. Melt a bit of butter in a rectangular plastic microwave container then stir in 20g ground almonds and 10g milled seeds and seasoning of choice. Mix with 1 egg and a pinch or 2 baking powder. Cook for 90 seconds in microwave. Gives just enough for one meal for one as either toast or sandwich

I know this doesn't answer the fermented question but might help with the bread bit

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker makes a good point, but have you tried halloumi fries? Chop halloumi into chip sized pieces and air fry or fry until golden. Even better, wrap them in bacon first. They’re delicious.

There’s also fathead dough, or if you want to avoid having baking goods such as almond flour in stock, I make a carnivore dough using ground pork rinds, grated cheese and cream cheese. I use it for pizza, but it could be cut into soldiers.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'd never heard of 'halloumi', it' now on my online shopping list for Tuesday, I can't wait to try it. It would probably make very good croutons too.

Reactions: Goonergal

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Jennifer, I agree with Bulkbiker in that it could be a slippery slope. A lot depends on the type of person you are as well. I buy good quality sourdough in a whole loaf form. I then pluck a small amount off the end and take the soft bready bit out leaving just a small piece of crust, (probably around two mouthfuls).This is enough for me but I appreciate that some might find it tempting to eat the whole loaf. The two mouthfuls (for me) are better than not eating it. I could use insulin I know but it's tricky to handle so I know that this small amount needs no insulin. I'm KK123 and I'm a bread addict...there, I've admitted it. x

The type of person I am... I'm afraid I can't be trusted, I get haunted by food if it's in the cupboard and I know I'm not 'allowed' it. It's best not to put my foot on that slippery slope! But I was close :arghh: Thanks.:)

Reactions: Newlysweet

Newlysweet

My issue is with eating as a social activity. I don’t want my life to revolve around ‘what I can’t eat’. I can generally find something adaptable (replace pasta/potatoes with veg/salad etc) on the menu when eating out, but if I go to stay with someone I would be *very* hungry if I didn’t take my low-carb substitutes - some home-made almond flour bread, some dark chocolate - based baked snacks, some nuts, avocado, cream cheese, smoked salmon... . Low carb options are pricey, as JenniferM says up thread, and I don’t want to be an expensive house guest! I’m going to try halloumi fries though, they sound good.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can use sourdough to make a low carb soy based "bread".

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't want to be on a 'keto diet', but I do want to continue on a keto way of eating,

I would love to know what you mean by this.

Here's my experience so far: When I'm keto, I get fat-adapted, and I lose the cravings for most carbs. There are still cravings rooted in social and emotional reasons, but at least the physical is dealt with. When I am "keto-ish", I still have the spikes and crashes that drive hunger and cravings. For that reason, for me, I find a keto diet easier to stick to than a "keto way of eating" that includes items like bread.

But YMMV. You may have a different experience. We are all only accountable to ourselves.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would love to know what you mean by this.

Here's my experience so far: When I'm keto, I get fat-adapted, and I lose the cravings for most carbs. There are still cravings rooted in social and emotional reasons, but at least the physical is dealt with. When I am "keto-ish", I still have the spikes and crashes that drive hunger and cravings. For that reason, for me, I find a keto diet easier to stick to than a "keto way of eating" that includes items like bread.

But YMMV. You may have a different experience. We are all only accountable to ourselves.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't want to class the rest of my life as being on a diet. I want to be on 'my way' of eating - something I can live with without any pressure. Diets always feel like I'm being 'punished'.

Having been on keto for 2 months (some days I don't go over 5g of carbs, and I think the highest over that time was 18g) so I think I've been diligent. There's no doubt keto is THE best diet to subdue carb cravings.

This morning, I had under 2g of carbs for breakfast, carbs came from 0.77g for 2 eggs, and 5g of HP Reduced Salt and Sugar Brown Sauce which yielded 0.94g of carbs (most of the sauce was left on the plate).

A couple of hours after eating BG was 6.2. I felt satisfied.... but then within an hour or so I starting thinking 'how low in carbs' can I concoct a recipe for some sourdough bread? Adding in a high amount of chia seeds, and other mixed seeds, adding hemp protein in place of some of the flour.... it's torture! :rolleyes: It's like having an itchy nose!

I feel I'm becoming obsessive about carbs. I could say they terrify me. I don't want to fall off keto.... guess I'm dreaming of unicorns :banghead:

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been meaning to do more work on low carb homemade bread, but I have just got out of the habit of eating bread now.
I used to make bread with things such as psyllium husk, coconut flour, ground almonds, milled mixed seeds - some rye flour to mask the purple colour from the psyllium and I now have some wheat gluten.
It seemed to have only a mild effect on blood glucose levels, but I was going to try making it in muffin tins to get more crust and not need to worry about cutting up loaves before freezing portions.

BigNorsk

Real sourdough will have a lesser effect on blood sugar. You would have to check yourself and a particular bread.

it is very possible you might have a slice or two with a meal that kind of demands it. That doesn’t mean half a loaf with every meal but you know that.

the dangers comes in that we are basically food addicts and our behaviors are still there. But if you can make a bread that doesn’t cause the drug reaction in your brain, it is very possible you can continue with it.

if you show unreasonable eating with it then either the bread just won’t work or you just aren’t ready.