Keto caused muscle atrophy

tom2pin

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I've lost too much weight and muscle due to Keto and have become very weak. Lost muscle all over and especially around my spine.

I eat plenty but my body has gone into overdrive it seems. Having to add in higher carb veg and beans and see how I go.

Anyone else had thse issues? I thought I'd be able to sustain this keto lifestyle for life bu my body is saying otherwise.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've lost too much weight and muscle due to Keto and have become very weak. Lost muscle all over and especially around my spine.

I eat plenty but my body has gone into overdrive it seems. Having to add in higher carb veg and beans and see how I go.

Anyone else had thse issues? I thought I'd be able to sustain this keto lifestyle for life bu my body is saying otherwise.

Tom - Have you tried adding more protein and fat before resorting to carbs?

I know when I trimmed up I found it tricky to stall the weight loss, but eventually did so by upping my protein then my fats.

I have never tried to live a long term keto lifestyle, but if I were in your shoes, I'd try protein and fat first.

I didn't drown things in butter or such like, but just had fattier cuts of meat, extra cheese and nuts.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've lost too much weight and muscle due to Keto and have become very weak. Lost muscle all over and especially around my spine. ...
Are you getting enough calories? You should also be getting at least 1 gram of protein per Kg of body weight every day. Excessive weight and muscle loss, at least temporarily, can be an issue because of reduced appetite. Losing muscle can also mean that fat adaptation, which takes up to 6 months, has not yet occurred. If the body wants carbs badly enough, it gets it from muscle. It doesn't happen when the body is fully adapted to using fat for energy. Occasionally indulging in carbs inhibits that process.

Reactions: Auto E

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “

IMHO you need to up the protein and activate protein synthesis via exercise. Muscles are a use or lose thing. Any extra protein will be used for fuel.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite the reverse. After a few years eating low carb - under 40 gm a day, my strength has returned and I have been back at work hauling knitting machines around for servicing.
I did a low fat low calorie diet for almost two years, and was pressured not to do 'fad diets' for years before that, and had to get my daughter to come along to help.
Since diagnosis I have become far more active, joined several morris sides to play music for them - involves quite a lot of walking around and playing the melodeon can be a bit of a workout when playing for a double jig - but it gets easier. I will be 70 next Spring.

tom2pin

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you getting enough calories? You should also be getting at least 1 gram of protein per Kg of body weight every day. Excessive weight and muscle loss, at least temporarily, can be an issue because of reduced appetite. Losing muscle can also mean that fat adaptation, which takes up to 6 months, has not yet occurred. If the body wants carbs badly enough, it gets it from muscle. It doesn't happen when the body is fully adapted to using fat for energy. Occasionally indulging in carbs inhibits that process.

Hi thanks for your reply, I've been doing really strict keto for a year..I'd like to think I'm fat adapted but maybe I've not been eating enough fat? I've not followed macros and I should have done to be sure. I eat 2-3 eggs in the morning, protein at every meal, 3 full meals a day consisting of loads of low carb veg, meat and healthy fats (olive oil,ghee, nuts etc.)

I've been through a period of huge stress and definitely had reduced appetite due to all the medications they put me on.

My Chiropractor picked it up recently and was puzzled. They are referring me to a neurologist for caution.

Its all adding to what is already a big anxiety & fatigue problem.

tom2pin

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Tom - Have you tried adding more protein and fat before resorting to carbs?

I know when I trimmed up I found it tricky to stall the weight loss, but eventually did so by upping my protein then my fats.

I have never tried to live a long term keto lifestyle, but if I were in your shoes, I'd try protein and fat first.

I didn't drown things in butter or such like, but just had fattier cuts of meat, extra cheese and nuts.

Thanks yeah good advice mate

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Hi thanks for your reply, I've been doing really strict keto for a year..I'd like to think I'm fat adapted but maybe I've not been eating enough fat? I've not followed macros and I should have done to be sure. I eat 2-3 eggs in the morning, protein at every meal, 3 full meals a day consisting of loads of low carb veg, meat and healthy fats (olive oil,ghee, nuts etc.)

I've been through a period of huge stress and definitely had reduced appetite due to all the medications they put me on.

My Chiropractor picked it up recently and was puzzled. They are referring me to a neurologist for caution.

Its all adding to what is already a big anxiety & fatigue problem.
Stress can be catabolic. Personally, stress totally nukes my BG levels. Had a stressful event last week and it showed up on my libre sensor as a huge spike.