LCHF & Cholesterol.

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and on the flip side, an even greater number of qualified medical people ( ones that may have spent 5 or so years studying) believe that having a high cholesterol is not the best way to live a healthy life. I would also think that a very significant number of medical people are completely right about T2

There are also "significant numbers of qualified medical people" (I count myself in those numbers...) who do NOT believe that having a high cholesterol necessarily indicates any pathology or adverse finding at all. It depends on many factors and is not as simplistic as just "having high cholesterol" which is in itself, actually meaningless unless the ratios are known and the particle sizes and probably also the CAC scan results............
Most of the old mantras about T2 are definitely showing signs of changing, thank heavens. The good carb / bad carb / brown rice / white rice advice etc.........

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My cholesterol level was below average last time it was suggested that I take a statin again. It seems to be a mindless thing they have to d. When I asked if they'd read my reaction to statins at diagnosis it was obvious they had not.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My cholesterol level was below average last time it was suggested that I take a statin again. It seems to be a mindless thing they have to d. When I asked if they'd read my reaction to statins at diagnosis it was obvious they had not.
I had the same conversation with a new GP at my practice - until I told him to go back through my notes and find out what happened last time I was on statins. He took one look at the rise, and fall, in hba1c from 48 at diagnosis to 54 then down to non diabetic levels after stopping them that he’s now put statin intolerant on my notes as neither of us wants to risk it happening again.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For anyone not sure about the low/high cholesterol issue it's worth having a look at the recent research - start with the HUNT 2 study published in 2012

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3303886/

The conclusion says:
"Our study provides an updated epidemiological indication of possible errors in the CVD risk algorithms of many clinical guidelines. If our findings are generalizable, clinical and public health recommendations regarding the ‘dangers’ of cholesterol should be revised. This is especially true for women, for whom moderately elevated cholesterol (by current standards) may prove to be not only harmless but even beneficial."
I would add to that another recent study that showed low cholesterol is not helpful for elderly people either.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/he...ittle-cholesterol-is-harmful-for-elderly.html

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cholesterol numbers in my signature.. yes they have gone up but am I worried about them? no way..
I'm quite happy to take on my doctors when they mention stains as it seems I now know more than they do about T2 and cholesterol.
So ... my results are in ...
cholesterol 6.8 (usually 4.5)
Triglyceride 0.6
HDL 2.5
LDL 4.0 (usually 2.4)

May I have your thoughts?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Triglyceride 0.6
HDL 2.5
LDL 4.0 (usually 2.4)

Brilliant! Your triglycerides are less than 1.0...that's fantastic. My guess is that the increase in total cholesterol is because your HDL (good chol) has gone up so your ratio will actually be better than last time.

Women need higher cholesterol figures as they age anyway. I would be over the moon with your results.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Triglyceride 0.6
HDL 2.5
LDL 4.0 (usually 2.4)

Absolutely brilliant results.. Trig/HDL ratio of 0.24 (anything under 0.87 is thought as very good) stunning.

Reactions: Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely brilliant results.. Trig/HDL ratio of 0.24 (anything under 0.87 is thought as very good) stunning.
Cheers - Trigs have been 0.5 last 3 years and have gone up to 0.6 -so if the trigs are good is that the main thing do you know and HDL is 1.7, 2.0 and now 2.5 so are they the main ones, LDL was usually 2.4 & 2.5?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers - Trigs have been 0.5 last 3 years and have gone up to 0.6 -so if the trigs are good is that the main thing do you know and HDL is 1.7, 2.0 and now 2.5 so are they the main ones, LDL was usually 2.4 & 2.5?

LDL does all sorts of odd things but is interestingly never used to calculate CVD risk.

It is however lowered by statin usage so it has been labelled "bad" to makes drugs companies oodles of money ..

Pfizer made almost $2 bio out of one statin last year.

Reactions: Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant! Your triglycerides are less than 1.0...that's fantastic. My guess is that the increase in total cholesterol is because your HDL (good chol) has gone up so your ratio will actually be better than last time.

Women need higher cholesterol figures as they age anyway. I would be over the moon with your results.
Why do women need higher figures and from roughly what age?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When someone checked it was realised that higher cholesterol tallied with living longer, something particularly noticeable for women.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
LDL does all sorts of odd things but is interestingly never used to calculate CVD risk.

It is however lowered by statin usage so it has been labelled "bad" to makes drugs companies oodles of money ..

Pfizer made almost $2 bio out of one statin last year.
Interesting - so - the lower my trigs the better?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

aard

Anyone have any idea how much a cac test costs in the UK? I find it really frustrating that not one website like buoa, nuffield etc will give a price.