Libre and hba1c

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi has anyone had a hba1c done and has it come close to the libre % i havent had my hba1c tested in 5 months now so if i know that libre is fairly accurate with the hba1c i can understand why i haven't had 1 done in a while since my gp has access to my libre.

Thanks

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Screenshot_20200914-160433_LibreLink.jpg

Sorry if you can view its 12.5%

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In my experience it always reads low. I must have had 6 blood tests over my time with Libre, HbA1c is generally about 45, Libre estimate about 35.

I'm not too interested in HbA1c prefer TIR (time in range). HbA1c was a best attempt at calculate your success in staying range, just a glorified average of blood stickiness or something like that.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my experience it always reads low. I must have had 6 blood tests over my time with Libre, HbA1c is generally about 45, Libre estimate about 35.

I'm not too interested in HbA1c prefer TIR (time in range). HbA1c was a best attempt at calculate your success in staying range, just a glorified average of blood stickiness or something like that.

My time in target 30%

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200914-161423_LibreLink.jpg
    Screenshot_20200914-161423_LibreLink.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 239

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @UsmanMo96 ! It may well be that your GP hasn't called you for a test is that he/she has forgotten to do it, I often have to remind the practise that I'm due a test.
As far as assessing your diabetes management goes, although a Libre estimate is usually pretty close to a HbA1c test, a much better picture of your management can be gained from time in target as it provides a more or less up to the minute picture.
The generally accepted TiT target is that anything above 70% is good. There is somewhere a good video expalining TiT - prehaps on the Libre site, but I can't find it now, however the link below should provide a bit of clarity.
https://www.medpagetoday.com/meetingcoverage/ada/80346

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @UsmanMo96 ! It may well be that your GP hasn't called you for a test is that he/she has forgotten to do it, I often have to remind the practise that I'm due a test.
As far as assessing your diabetes management goes, although a Libre estimate is usually pretty close to a HbA1c test, a much better picture of your management can be gained from time in target as it provides a more or less up to the minute picture.
The generally accepted TiT target is that anything above 70% is good. There is somewhere a good video expalining TiT - prehaps on the Libre site, but I can't find it now, however the link below should provide a bit of clarity.
https://www.medpagetoday.com/meetingcoverage/ada/80346

I am trying to get better control, i hope to get back to where i was once my hba1c for the past 2 years hasn't been great, but im going to try my best to get better control

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm someone else who always got lower readings and predictions from my sensor, although the patterns I saw were quite consistent with those from finger prick tests. If I'd believed my Libre's HbA1c predictions I would have been nicely non-diabetic, while actual HbA1cs confirm I'm low pre-diabetic. But I've always relied on finger pricks to guide me , as HbA1cs are simply averages and same results can come either from stable glucose levels or spikes and dips... IMO.

(I can set target ranges on my meter, and have always tended to rely on them since I first started testing as a guide to how well under control I may be. )

Reactions: JohnEGreen

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Last time my estimate was 4.5, actual was 5.2% Currently the estimate is 4.5, I’ll get my actual tomorrow morning. Note my a1c units are in percentage

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Both my meter and the Libre were predicting an A1c in the mid 30's what I actually got on my last blood test last month was 44 that being up from my previous A1c of 38.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My DN told me that the hba1c can change even in a week if you dont keep numbers stable, so you can have good control all 3 months but the last week or so if you lose control on BG it can make a difference.