Type 1 Libre Freestyle

Hussar1420

Can somebody please give some feedback about the Libre Freestyle discs from the people that matter I. E. Diabetics that use them. My daughter and daughter in law are both nurses and they are both not very complimentary about them. Can I get some real feedback please?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome to the forum. Are you referring to the sensors?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Presuming you mean the Freestyle Libre sensors, for me they have been a complete game changer, they have made so much of a positive effect for me, I couldn't be without them anymore (ok I'm sure I could, but I suspect my control would go downhill again).
I believe for some they can be very inaccurate so they may not work well for all, some people have nasty skin reactions to the adhesive, and some may find them to be a bit of a data overload - but for myself I thrive on data.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Can somebody please give some feedback about the Libre Freestyle discs from the people that matter I. E. Diabetics that use them. My daughter and daughter in law are both nurses and they are both not very complimentary about them. Can I get some real feedback please?

Welcome.

If you type 'Freestyle' or 'Libre' into the searchbar at the top of your screen, you will find many threads and comments in the forums.

Wayward Blood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Hussar,

I've been using the Freestyle Libre since October of last year, and I've been extremely impressed with it. I've found the sensors easy to apply, and I've yet to lose one or have it fail. However, on occasion they have started to peel; in these instances I've used a Tegaderm plaster (available to purchase from most pharmacies) to keep to keep them in place until it's time to replace them. My DSN told me that the middle of the sensor needs to stay uncovered (I'm not sure if this is true but I decided to follow the advice), so I cut a hole in the middle of the plasters before applying.

An important point: I follow a low carbohydrate diet, which means that my blood sugar levels do not rise and fall rapidly for most of the time. I've heard that the Libre can struggle to represent spikes and drops accurately, but, because I haven't experienced this myself, I can't confirm or deny this.

I also have very good hypo awareness; whenever I've felt myself starting to go low, my sensor has confirmed this for me. My main problem with the Libre is the applicator used to apply the sensor. It's a single-use device, which must be disposed of. This feels extremely wasteful to me, and I hope that eventually a re-usable one will be produced.

But overall, I can give a big thumbs up to my experience with the Freestyle Libre. I hope that helps!

Reactions: porl69

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like the type one illness they can have their moments, some folk have skin reactions, some can't keep them on and some don't know how to interpret and respond to the readings but if you can get one on the NHS don't even think about declining as they are a game changer.

And for a reasonably small investment can be rigged to your mobile for a form of constant monitoring.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
As @urbanracer said there are loads of threads about the Libre but as a one time badly controlled,hardly ever took blood sugar and suffered the consequences diabetic i will say its a total game changer. Unfortunately some of “ the hoops” you have to jump through to get one are ridiculous. Some people do get problems with them , but that’s life in general. Personally it’s helped me immensely. I’m retired now but I do know that had the Libre been about when I was working I would still have two legs.
Can’t really give it a better endorsement than that lol

Reactions: Hussar1420

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Yes to the sensors. Thanks
I have found that the sensors work fine as far as firing up (there is some controversy over the accuracy). I am currently 12 days into my "spike" test to see how much foods and exercise impact my sugars. The biggest issue I have had with Libres is knocking the sensors off. Here's a rather scummy looking concoction using my wifes physio tape:

upload_2020-6-27_11-30-51.png

Although this looks terrible it is working for me on this occasion.

I tried waterproof island dressing. These look smart but when I sweated on workouts curled up
upload_2020-6-27_11-34-41.png

It would be great if the Libre came with 2 options, the first would be a wider adhesive than the few millimetres at present (G6 like), maybe 1.5 centimetres, then a sports version perhaps 2 centimetres, being both waterproof and as sticky as the adhesive that hospitals use (I know it takes ages to get rid of the adhesive after use, but this is better than the frustration of loosing sensors a few days in, as I have done on many occasions with sports).

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are their concerns with them? In other words in what ways are they 'not very complimentary'? Then perhaps libre users on here can help in more specific ways?

As other have said some have problems with accuracy and knocking the sensors off. I've never had problems with either and it has greatly helped me with bolus timing to avoid unnecessary glucose spikes surrounding food. We know non diabetics have blood glucose spikes, but this has helped me avoid them in a way I didn't manage eventhough I'd spent years testing 10+ times a day.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My fingers don't hurt any more, I did get a bit of a skin reaction to the adhesive but nothing too bad, I purchased and arm band sensor protector which works OK stops it being dislodged also Tegaderm film dressings which are pretty good, and I've found the sensors reasonably accurate.

Hussar1420

I have found that the sensors work fine as far as firing up (there is some controversy over the accuracy). I am currently 12 days into my "spike" test to see how much foods and exercise impact my sugars. The biggest issue I have had with Libres is knocking the sensors off. Here's a rather scummy looking concoction using my wifes physio tape:

View attachment 42367

Although this looks terrible it is working for me on this occasion.

I tried waterproof island dressing. These look smart but when I sweated on workouts curled up
View attachment 42368

It would be great if the Libre came with 2 options, the first would be a wider adhesive than the few millimetres at present (G6 like), maybe 1.5 centimetres, then a sports version perhaps 2 centimetres, being both waterproof and as sticky as the adhesive that hospitals use (I know it takes ages to get rid of the adhesive after use, but this is better than the frustration of loosing sensors a few days in, as I have done on many occasions with sports).
Mbaker thanks for the reply and the in depth review. Although the majority of the feedback was positive there are still some issues. I will get one and see how I go, most of the feedback I was getting was to do with false readings or in accurate readings and this was shown to me by my DSN who is a diabetic herself, and had 2 differing readings within minutes.
My bloods at the moment are fluctuating but then I get a good run of steady readings. My Hba has come down a lot but I want to get them better.

iblamedan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mushrooms, needles and blood
I was diagnosed type 1 on 6th June. I'm not good with blood or needles and the finger pricks were really difficult for me so I've got a trial of one. I can't begin to describe how much anxiety its removed along with how much information I can see which i'd have never have seen with finger prick test! only had it for 2 weeks and i'm a fan! Its stayed stuck and not got in the way of anything, got to put my 2nd one on tomorrow. I can see that some of the stickers have come a little loose around the edge, but I've ordered some additional stickers to help them stay for when i'm back exercising a bit more. So far five stars and so glad my DSN let me try it!

GerryBolger

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm pre-and in same boat as you hate ideas oif needles, the irony is I am a NURSE!! anyway thinking of getting the Libre, question is how painful is it to apply?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm pre-and in same boat as you hate ideas oif needles, the irony is I am a NURSE!! anyway thinking of getting the Libre, question is how painful is it to apply?

For me I either hardly feel it, or I feel it and it stings for about a minute, not hideously so though (except that one time where I think I hit muscle - and then I knew about it, but that's happened only once in 3.5 years), after the initial application, I mostly don't even notice it there and have to search for it to scan with my phone cos I cant remember exactly where it is (and my phone is a bit picky and needs to be dead close)

Reactions: GerryBolger

GerryBolger

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For me I either hardly feel it, or I feel it and it stings for about a minute, not hideously so though (except that one time where I think I hit muscle - and then I knew about it, but that's happened only once in 3.5 years), after the initial application, I mostly don't even notice it there and have to search for it to scan with my phone cos I cant remember exactly where it is (and my phone is a bit picky and needs to be dead close)
Thank you, thats' useful. Considering i'm needle phobic and the idea of stabbing myself 6-8 times a day is about as inviting as jumpiming into the artic waters; is this the right route or not?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you, thats' useful. Considering i'm needle phobic and the idea of stabbing myself 6-8 times a day is about as inviting as jumpiming into the artic waters; is this the right route or not?
The libre is very good at showing trends, but accuracy can be a bit hit and miss (below 5 and above 10), some use the MiaoMiao device and phone apps so it can be calibrated to make it more accurate, but calibrating does involve blood tests as it cant do it by magic unfortunately

GerryBolger

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks :) I think I can cope with the odd blood test on a finger. I can be brave :)