Possible misdiagnosis

Hayzel30

Is it possible to be misdiagnosed with Type 1 diabetes?
My son has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the end of July (he is 13). However, his antibody blood test result has come back as negative for diabetes. He was admitted to hospital with heart palpitations and urticaria flare up and then when they done his bloods they came back and said he was in keto acidosis and it could only be diabetes. However, we have also found that keto acidosis is also a sign of an overactive thyroid and along with the urticaria and heart palpitations plus weight loss these are all symptoms more pointing at an over active thyroid. He has also been having a lot of hypos lately but with this he is still his normal self and not having any symptoms of a hypo and they have massively had to change his carb ratios and long lasting insulin amounts to try and reverse this and so far with no success. Could it be possible he is t type 1 at all?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it possible to be misdiagnosed with Type 1 diabetes?
My son has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the end of July (he is 13). However, his antibody blood test result has come back as negative for diabetes. He was admitted to hospital with heart palpitations and urticaria flare up and then when they done his bloods they came back and said he was in keto acidosis and it could only be diabetes. However, we have also found that keto acidosis is also a sign of an overactive thyroid and along with the urticaria and heart palpitations plus weight loss these are all symptoms more pointing at an over active thyroid. He has also been having a lot of hypos lately but with this he is still his normal self and not having any symptoms of a hypo and they have massively had to change his carb ratios and long lasting insulin amounts to try and reverse this and so far with no success. Could it be possible he is t type 1 at all?

Hi there Hayzel - It must be a shock for your son to be diagnosed T1.

Whilst the symptoms you describe can happen with hypothyroidism, they are also symptoms of diabetes.

Ketoacidosis with hyperthyroidism is quite rare (although that obviously doesn't mean your son hasn't experienced it). What happened to your son's symptoms, once he started on insulin? Did the urticaria settle? What happened with his weight loss and palpitations?

Hayzel30

Hi there Hayzel - It must be a shock for your son to be diagnosed T1.

Whilst the symptoms you describe can happen with hypothyroidism, they are also symptoms of diabetes.

Ketoacidosis with hyperthyroidism is quite rare (although that obviously doesn't mean your son hasn't experienced it). What happened to your son's symptoms, once he started on insulin? Did the urticaria settle? What happened with his weight loss and palpitations?

He hasn’t gained the weight back but also hasn’t lost more. Palpitations have stopped (unless he just doesn’t tell me) still has flare ups with his urticaria.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He hasn’t gained the weight back but also hasn’t lost more. Palpitations have stopped (unless he just doesn’t tell me) still has flare ups with his urticaria.

Did he have the urticaria before he became ill recently?

I have urticaria, and it can go really bonkers if my body gets out of sorts, in almost any way. It seems like it's one of my protest mechanisms!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's possible to have several conditions at the same time. Perhaps your medical team can do more investigation on some of the symptoms, while continuing to treat his diabetes?

Hayzel30

It's possible to have several conditions at the same time. Perhaps your medical team can do more investigation on some of the symptoms, while continuing to treat his diabetes?

we have spoken to a consultant since this post and they are going to do a full investigation on him. He was diagnosed the end of July and should’ve been seen in clinic no more than 2 weeks later. We are 10 weeks down the line and they’ve just realised we’ve been failed in care.

Hayzel30

Did he have the urticaria before he became ill recently?

I have urticaria, and it can go really bonkers if my body gets out of sorts, in almost any way. It seems like it's one of my protest mechanisms!

Urticaria was his first sign something was wrong with him. Followed by weight loss and then palpitations. Nobody has been interested in his urticaria though or what could be causing it. However, his care plan has failed as we found out last night as he was meant to have seen a consultant in clinic no more than 2 weeks after diagnosis. We are now 10 weeks after and they’ve realised they haven’t seen us in clinic. Hopefully, we should have more answer and any more investigations in place no later than Monday now