New and Struggling

Maw R

Need help... about 2 month ago I was told I had type2.. my blood test came back as 99, and with the little machine it was 22. I have been put on gliclazide 2 twice a day...

To be honest I have been overwhelmed with all the info, but I am still having trouble with my sugar levels they bounce between 8 and 19 can't get them to say steady. I have cut my carb portions down but not out... I cant exercise as I am riddled with Arthritis and in a wheelchair... any advice on a fast way to bring my numbers down would help

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can you let us know what your BMI is just in case you are late onset T1 and not T2. Gliclazide can work very well but not so well if you are overweight and have insulin resistance. Do keep going with the low-carb diet.

Maw R

Hi. Can you let us know what your BMI is just in case you are late onset T1 and not T2. Gliclazide can work very well but not so well if you are overweight and have insulin resistance. Do keep going with the low-carb diet.
In july 2019 my BMI was 43.6
But in July 2020 it had dropped to 39.8

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Need help... about 2 month ago I was told I had type2.. my blood test came back as 99, and with the little machine it was 22. I have been put on gliclazide 2 twice a day...

To be honest I have been overwhelmed with all the info, but I am still having trouble with my sugar levels they bounce between 8 and 19 can't get them to say steady. I have cut my carb portions down but not out... I cant exercise as I am riddled with Arthritis and in a wheelchair... any advice on a fast way to bring my numbers down would help
I'd personally be more rigorous with the carb cutting, especially because of the arthritis. It might alleviate the pain some. (Carbs are inflammatory. My reumatism's better than it was. Cow dairy, also an inflammatory, was step one, but once I cut carbs it got LOTS better.). With gliclazide you might drop too low on a very low carb diet though, so do be careful if you go that route. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help.

Reactions: Maw R

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Strict keto should help. Also intermittent fasting can help get some quick results. Although if doing any of this on gliclazide, you should definitely have medical supervision. If you get quick results you may need to adjust your meds go avoid dangerous hypos.

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

You may be like me started of as type 2 but my body did not respond well to metformin several changes in my medication and 1yr later a stay in hospital found me using insulin and end of last year after another stay in hospital and high habc1 readings another insulin added into the mix, it all came out of the blue, in my fifties no family history not overweight why me yet to pin point the reason may be associated with autoimmune illness as a 5yr ?
Now classed as a type 1

New Haven Neil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogance, awkward people
I'd personally be more rigorous with the carb cutting, especially because of the arthritis. It might alleviate the pain some. (Carbs are inflammatory. My reumatism's better than it was. Cow dairy, also an inflammatory, was step one, but once I cut carbs it got LOTS better.). With gliclazide you might drop too low on a very low carb diet though, so do be careful if you go that route. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help.

Jo, do you have any references for the carbs causing inflammation? As an arthritic I am interested to read about it if at all possible!

Thanks, Neil

BigNorsk

Need help... about 2 month ago I was told you how many carbs are in something, they often are not that accurate I had type2.. my blood test came back as 99, and with the little machine it was 22. I have been put on gliclazide 2 twice a day...

Well this might shock you. Those labels that tell how many carbs in something, they often aren’t very accurate.

And your med makes it tough tobadjust because you have to continue eating carbs so it doesn’t kill you. You really can’t take it and cut out carbs.

in your situation, here is what I would try.

take a breakfast you like, a snack, a bigger meal you like and one more snack.

you will eat that every day until you get stable and where you want to be. if your blood sugar is too high at snack time, skip the snack.

gradually reduce the carbs in the meals until you get your sugar where you want it.

you should be measuring someway and recording it so you can do it again later.

then change one meal to something else you like. Go again through the balancing and recording. This way you build a menu of meals that work for you.

the snack is like an adjustment if you are going low. No need to always eat it.

I ho-e your doctor gets you off an SU, they are pushing a tired pancreus even harder. And the high insulin levels produced tends to make your resistance and your health get worse over time.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

New Haven Neil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogance, awkward people

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Jo, do you have any references for the carbs causing inflammation? As an arthritic I am interested to read about it if at all possible!

Thanks, Neil
AS Jo said there is a wealth of articles about carbs being inflammatory. Actually it is the Insulin produced in response to carbohydrates in the diet which is inflammatory - so if you cut the carbs your cut the Insulin response and thus cut the inflammation.

Reactions: New Haven Neil

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hello and welcome

I agree with previous posters in relation to cutting down carbs- what it may be useful to do is to start logging your food and exactly how many carbs you are having and the readings you get you then have some idea of exactly how many carbs you have a day- then as suggested above lower you carbs a bit- not too dramatically but so that you see a result- keep recording and a pattern should emerge giving you some idea of exactly how many carbs you can eat on your current medication. I think that if you continue to cut the carbs you may be able to control your blood sugar levels.

In relation to what @JoKalsbeek said- going very low carb has cured my asthma completely - in my 50s. In Australia so we had bad fires at the beginning of the year- normally would have sent me to hospital - now not even a wheese.

I also found I lost weight while doing much less exercise than usual.

Good luck.