Nurses failing to administer insulin correctly

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always feel the tiny scratch, they use different needles than usual in here , the needle is didden and you have to press down until you hear a click then press the plunger , as I said when it happened at breakfast I knew and you could see the insulin dripping down my stomach, insaidnit to the staff nurse and her attitude was , it worked and if it didn't they could correct it at the next.dose , so before lunch the exact same thing happened and again she refused to believe me saying I'm probably just immune to the feeling of the needle, my bloods for the past 6 weeks have been constantly between 5.5 and 6.7 the bloods before lunch were at 12.4 , will take a few days at least to get the levels back to "normal" again

Again not blaming the student but the staff nurse, i know my own body and she didn't seem to want to believe me
This sounds shocking to me. I agree with all those who've said take back control yourself. I can understand wanting to help someone learn, but not when you're disbelieved and have managed to keep yourself alive and under control until 'the experts' messed it up. Good luck and do let us know what happens next. Maybe showing the staff nurse this thread would help!!!

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bread, Potatoes, anything Carby
Hi everyone, thanks for advice , I didn't make a big issue of it , I pulled one of the night staff and said it in passing and mentioned it , he apologised unreservedly, he agreed that the student hadn't been properly trained in these new type needles , he even stayed back this morning and showed her how to administer correctly so all good , incidentally my levels are back to normal with out any major correction so no big issues there

Reactions: JMK1954 and Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, thanks for advice , I didn't make a big issue of it , I pulled one of the night staff and said it in passing and mentioned it , he apologised unreservedly, he agreed that the student hadn't been properly trained in these new type needles , he even stayed back this morning and showed her how to administer correctly so all good , incidentally my levels are back to normal with out any major correction so no big issues there

Hi,

Sounds like a positive result..

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery from your hospital admission.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

Well done you. I do believe that was the best action to take in the circumstances

Wishing you a speedy recovery

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good job, really glad you got it sorted and that your bg's back to normal!