How to convert IU to mL?

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

I have a syringe that has up to 100IU indications.

How do these translate into millilitres?

Thanks!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For most insulins they are 100 units per ml (there are stronger ones though) - anything that says it is U100 strength means 100 units per ml (U200 would mean it had 200 units per ml)

If it is a syringe for insulin then that syringe can hold 100 units of insulin which for most insulins would be 1ml (IU's are different amounts for different substances I think)

Why do you want to know how many ml it is btw?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

I have a syringe that has up to 100IU indications.

How do these translate into millilitres?

Thanks!

The simplest way would be to fill the syringe, then empty it into a small measuring vessel and see how many ml it is, however, why do you need to know? I'm a bit concerned you might be using something not meant for what you want to do.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The simplest way would be to fill the syringe, then empty it into a small measuring vessel and see how many ml it is
You'd need a very, very small measuring vessel to be able to measure 1 ml. Syringes are perfect measuring vessels to measure very small amounts, like cat medication or the stuff you use to kill nettles with.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You'd need a very, very small measuring vessel to be able to measure 1 ml. Syringes are perfect measuring vessels to measure very small amounts, like cat medication or the stuff you use to kill nettles with.

You can get some tiny pipettes on eBay (says the voice of experience, because I use them to measure fertiliser and chemicals for my aquariums).
But I don't think they would be anywhere near accurate enough for assessing precise insulin quantities.