Haven't measured in months and months. I've tripled.

belfastbiker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being so big I have my own postcode.
I'm very overweight (usually 275-330 lbs, but recently, let it get up to 362 lbs, I've had success but it comes and goes, I'm at 346 lbs again on the way down), and used to measure my glucose as a precaution, and have yearly doc checks also.

Reading were between 4.5 and 6 mmo/l, depending on when I measured. Meh, but nothing to write home about.

I found my old glucometer, the test strips are well out of date, but just tried it twice, been about 90mins since I ate an honestly poor quality meal, and I get a couple readings around 20 mmo/l, about FOUR times my typical reading.

I've been locked down since March, and I struggle HUGELY with fatigue now, I fall asleep at my desk 20 times a day. I pee more and drink more, water. Eyes are a little worse too.

After those initial two readings of about 20, I ate a healthy meal devoid of sugars, and took readings 30/60/90/120 mins after eating.
14.2 mmol/L
14.7 mmol/L
14.6 mmol/L
14.3 mmol/L
Better, but still absolute ****.

Obviously, you're the internet, and I'm gonna phone my doc first thing tomorrow, but I realise this is a bad sign, can you talk to me about diabetes type 1 vs 2 likelihood?

EDIT: what prompted me to tear my old bedroom apart looking for my glucose testing kit, was the urinalysis strips I got. Everything was normal, except glucose, which was on the second to worst colour.

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Out of date strips, in my experience, give false readings and cant be relied on. I suggest getting some fresh ones and seeing what happens.

Reactions: belfastbiker

belfastbiker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Out of date strips, in my experience, give false readings and cant be relied on. I suggest getting some fresh ones and seeing what happens.

Have ordered some, but won't be here until Mon to Wed next week. They're about 20 months past their use by, surely they'd not be THAT amount inaccurate? I'm using second drop of blood from finger to help isolate issues to do with my skin.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
still make an appointment for doctor in the meanwhile. Their tests are better, more accurate.
Don't do what I did and wait and lose some weight first as that didnt show how bad i was and therefore to this day i dont know how far I've come

belfastbiker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
still make an appointment for doctor in the meanwhile. Their tests are better, more accurate.
Don't do what I did and wait and lose some weight first as that didnt show how bad i was and therefore to this day i dont know how far I've come

I'm just concerned how long a proper test will take to arrange with doc/nurse. I've ordered some new strips, but those too will take until Mon/Wed next week to arrive. The 20 mmol/L reading scared me, I'm anxious about getting confirmation by doc ASAP.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Your symptoms regardless of the out of date readings are well worth talking to your doctor about, good thing you're calling sooner then later. Getting blood work done is really important for you at the moment.

In regards to your question about T2 or T1. I would say if and I say, IF, you were to get a diagnosis I'd probably say it would be T2 more so then T1, but you really need new strips asap. However, we can't diagnose, that's your doctors job and they will need the blood results to do that. If you have a history of family with T2 or T1 then it would be worth asking for a c-peptide measurement and GAD test, but not sure your doctor will go for it as most just guess your type based on the standard results in front of them.

Good luck in any case on getting things worked out.

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @belfastbiker,

Welcome to the forum.

Agree with the above, we can't diagnose you on this forum -- only your GP can.

Even though I agree with the others that your test strips are out of date and might not be accurate, your symptoms alone plus the result for glucose on the urine strip should probably prompt you to get this looked at as soon as possible. My guess would also be T2 unless the weight you lost recently was unintended.

By the way, it is not only sugar that increases our blood glucose levels, but also any type of carbohydrate (with the exception of fiber) which does this.

Please stay in touch and let us know how things go.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have ordered some, but won't be here until Mon to Wed next week. They're about 20 months past their use by, surely they'd not be THAT amount inaccurate? I'm using second drop of blood from finger to help isolate issues to do with my skin.

Belfast biker - most pharmacies do a free finger prick test service. Why not pop into a local pharmacy and ask them to do one?

It does sound like you do need to talk to your Doc too.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
If the urine strip tests are in date, then they'll show sugar whenever your blood sugar goes above 10.

Though T1 is possible, T1s generally have weight loss as a symptom, while weight gain goes with T2 and high blood sugars (high insulin plus high blood sugar leads to weight gain).

belfastbiker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
OK, in preparation for a possible (but unlikely) test today, I ate a healthy no processed stuff and low carb meal yesterday (fasting afterwards), checked my readings, and they'd reduced to just over 14 mmol/L for the duration of the couple hours after the meal. Less, but still v.bad. Again, not sure how much is down to 2 year out of date strips, I suspect not that much. I've tested glucose in urine since that initial reading (strips are recently purchased), and any readings since that initial "2nd box from worst" reading, are now "2nd box from best".

Yeah, from 20 Sept 2019 to 27 June 2020, I went from 265 to 362 lbs. I know. After hovering at that weight until August, I've deliberately got that down to 345 lbs as of today.

I only got glasses a couple years ago, but in the last couple month, I've noticed my sight is worse. I'm peeing like a racehorse and drinking water lots too. I do get a bit of tingling and numbness from time to time. And the fatigue is off the charts, I'll fall asleep 20-30 times per day (but I've got apnoea also most likely - obesity brings numerous gifts).

My mum was diabetic (didn't know my father). I've got a nurse appointment for tomorrow for the test, but i'm trying to ring back as it clashes now with an essential zoom training session for work. Trying to get through to local chemist to see if they offer finger prick test.

Reactions: NicoleC1971

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As you say you have a lot of excess weight which strongly implies you will be T2 rather than T1. Although out-of-date strips may not be accurate they probably are unless many years old and left open. You need to adopt a low-carb diet if not already doing that.

belfastbiker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi. As you say you have a lot of excess weight which strongly implies you will be T2 rather than T1. Although out-of-date strips may not be accurate they probably are unless many years old and left open. You need to adopt a low-carb diet if not already doing that.

Yup, lower carb is what I've been doing to lose it, need to focus more on that. No more sugary or carby things in the house at least, I ate them all... got everything in to make low carb bread etc too.... almond and coconut flour, xanthan gum, erythritol, flaxseed, chia/pumkin/sunflower seeds, and so on....

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yup, lower carb is what I've been doing to lose it, need to focus more on that. No more sugary or carby things in the house at least, I ate them all... got everything in to make low carb bread etc too.... almond and coconut flour, xanthan gum, erythritol, flaxseed, chia/pumkin/sunflower seeds, and so on....
Hey good luck tomorrow. This is a great time to turn this around (what choice do you have even if you are not diabetic yet?). I think if you switch up your diet your energy levels will zoom up and remember that whether you are diabetic or not, going low carb will likely help you lose some fat whilst still giving you all the nutrients you need. You are going to have cravings for the bad stuff but there are some great people here and on the internet who can provide factual guidance and practices that will help you not to have to ride this rodeo again.
I quite like the Carb Addiction Doc (Robert Cwyres)and the US podcast Primal Potential by Elizabeth Benton (a former 360 pounder who focuses on the mental side of things).

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

You have received great advice already.

I really understand how easy it is to live in a state of denial. Having said that now is the time to take action. The symptoms you describe are symptoms that mean you need to see a doctor. If they are as a result of diabetes the earlier you tackle them the better the results will be. Diabetes although common can be. very serious if not dealt with. For me fear was the biggest drive to do something. After that it has been the help I've found here that has helped me persist. I've lost over 30 kgs and my blood sugars have been in the normal range sine my first HbA1c review. It is possible. I am an absolute carboholic but with the advice and support I've found on here I have turned my diagnosis around.

Good luck with it- let us know the results and how we. can help.

belfastbiker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doc phoned already, one day after pee/blood draw/BP test.

Says the diabetes test was slightly up, I'm to go in again for a fasting BG test on 1st Oct. Thyroid test was borderline, so another test for that in 3 months.

That call was less bad than I thought it would be. But as you say, it's still a wake up call. I even bought fresh kale, spinach and romaine lettuce after the appt, and washed, blanched, refreshed and froze it all - no more wasted veg, gimme all the cruciferous dark greens!! Just waiting on new glucometer next Mon to Wed with in-date strips. Keen to see what results that gives vs the out of date strips on the older SD Codefree model.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doc phoned already, one day after pee/blood draw/BP test.

Says the diabetes test was slightly up, I'm to go in again for a fasting BG test on 1st Oct. Thyroid test was borderline, so another test for that in 3 months.

That call was less bad than I thought it would be. But as you say, it's still a wake up call. I even bought fresh kale, spinach and romaine lettuce after the appt, and washed, blanched, refreshed and froze it all - no more wasted veg, gimme all the cruciferous dark greens!! Just waiting on new glucometer next Mon to Wed with in-date strips. Keen to see what results that gives vs the out of date strips on the older SD Codefree model.

I just compiled this list of friendly foods on another thread and thought it might help you too

Meat any and every kind
Fish any and every kind including all shellfish
Eggs
Any vegetable that grows above the ground salad stuff included.
Non sweet fruit like tomato, olive, avocado some berries in moderation (raspberries and strawberries are best blueberries are far higher carb)
Dairy if you like it cheese, butter , cream and yoghurt in more controlled portions (that's unsweetened non fruit yoghurt).

The trick is to check the labels of every food you buy.
Check out the carbohydrate content I rarely buy anything with more than 5g of carbohydrate (sugar is irrelevant) per 100g.
I rarely buy anything with more than a couple of ingredients

After a couple of weeks you'll have a list of low carb foods that you can buy and eat that have a minimal impact on blood suagr levels and will greatly help most with weight loss (if that is a goal).

Hope that helps.

In your case I'd ditch bread and bread replacements completely and eat more eggs and bacon.
I started at 321 pounds and now bounce around between 198 and 208 eating stuff from that list.

belfastbiker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I just compiled this list of friendly foods on another thread and thought it might help you too
I started at 321 pounds and now bounce around between 198 and 208 eating stuff from that list.

impressive loss!!

also, yup, we appear to be on same page food wise, started putting together a list to check. (Note, sugar is here, only for guests.)

Attachments

• 0301D1E9-A82A-4E0E-8E00-9CBC48BE0E3E.png
    0301D1E9-A82A-4E0E-8E00-9CBC48BE0E3E.png
    609.3 KB · Views: 262
  • 0B5AD10C-B302-4486-8B7B-C0CA2D89F434.png
    0B5AD10C-B302-4486-8B7B-C0CA2D89F434.png
    623.3 KB · Views: 249