Injected too much basal by mistake. Help!

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just injected 17 units of NovoRapid instead of 17u Lantus. Should i just eat extra carbs with breakfast? Normally I inject 9u NR to cover about 36g of carbs. Should I skip taking the Lantus for today?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just eat extra carbs to deal with the extra Novorapid, you will still want to take the Lantus, though I'd eat the extra carbs first :)

Reactions: Janslv

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Do your lantus. Take in extra carbs to account for the Novorapid. (Milk can help in the form of liquid carbs, should you feel too full on the solids.) Keep hypo treatments handy.
Also closely monitor your BGs with more frequency, for at least 5 hours. (In my experience Novorapid can have a lick in the tail in the 4th hour?)

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I've just injected 17 units of NovoRapid instead of 17u Lantus. Should i just eat extra carbs with breakfast? Normally I inject 9u NR to cover about 36g of carbs. Should I skip taking the Lantus for today?

We've all done this. Can I just say that it's way worse when you do it at night and wake in major hypo territory after one or two hours.:)

Reactions: urbanracer and ert

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I nearly did the same thing this morning too! Luckily noticed right before I injected.

I hope the extra carbs helped & you feel ok.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Sincere thanks to all who have responded! I've kept monitoring closely all day (thanks to Libre!), and resorted to jelly babies and extra carbs a few times. Now at tea time things seem to have levelled off so have taken a slightly reduced bolus and will continue to monitor every half hour until bed time.
Hopefully I'll not be so stupid again!!

gto19660

Sincere thanks to all who have responded! I've kept monitoring closely all day (thanks to Libre!), and resorted to jelly babies and extra carbs a few times. Now at tea time things seem to have levelled off so have taken a slightly reduced bolus and will continue to monitor every half hour until bed time.
Hopefully I'll not be so stupid again!!
It happens. I'm glad thing's turned out ok. I'm a little late putting my two cents in but the decision to eat the extra carbs right on and holding off on the Lantus for about two maybe three hours is perfect. Lantus doesn't kick in for at least one to two hours
And it has no peak time.

Reactions: miahara