New job

taxi lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.. so I've been diagnosed with lada and waiting on few more blood results before I get put on insulin.
Question is.. ice just had an interview for a new job as a delivery driver..

Will me being on insulin affect me being able to drive a 7.5 tonne van?
And will it affect my new employer from actually hiring me ?

Many thanks

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.. so I've been diagnosed with lada and waiting on few more blood results before I get put on insulin.

Many thanks

Hi there Lee. There are plenty on here who drive for or as part of the work. I admit I'm not entirely sure of the thresholds for additional scrutiny, but the DVLA website might have some good information.

I'll tag in @LooperCat , as I seem to recall she has an extended license, I think. I think my colleague @Jaylee might also have an insight.

On a total aside, your profile is still showing as T2, which, over time, might get a bit confusing or lead to questionable suggestions. When you have a minute, could you update your information? You can do that by going to your account settings. You need to do that in your browser, rather than the app.

If you can't work it out, just tag myself or one of the Mods and we can get it done for you.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the tag @DCUKMod . You just had me scrambling for my licence renewed earlier this year just before the lockdown.

Hi @taxi lee , love the name..

If it's any consolation to you. I've done delivery works & wot not put on fleet insurance for flatbeds & alsorts..
One operations manager thought he could get me trained on the HGVs. (A few years back) I knew that wouldn't fly at the time..
But it was nice of him to consider me.. T1 or not.

It all depends on when you passed your test according to this.. (Linked below.)
Did you pass before Jan 1st 1997? https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

You may well be in luck.. I know I am.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

Many thanks
Hello! I have a 7.5t truck licence, had to jump through some hoops with DVLA to get it, but nothing major - a GP medical, another with my diabetes hospital consultant and a third with their own independent diabetologist. You only pay for the GP one, same as a non-d has to. As long as you’ve got three months worth of blood readings (not CGM), can explain any drops below 4mmol and know the rules, you’re good to go. It’s renewed annually instead of every three years, but we just have to suck that up, I’m afraid!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My licence had one class of vehicle removed when I went onto insulin and had a 3-year renewal so I would certainly check

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My licence had one class of vehicle removed when I went onto insulin and had a 3-year renewal so I would certainly check
They do that as soon as you go onto insulin or glucose lowering tablets, but if you pass the three escalating medicals you can get it back. I had mine taken off back in 1998 and had it reinstated just over a year ago because I need it to drive ambulances.