Front page of this site?

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
As I came to this site, there was a full page of "Foods that help diabetes" When I read it, the advice was NHS advice. Lean meats, chicken without the skin. ETC..Then there is a video with a woman quoting NHS recommendations? Why would a site like this be putting up NHS food recommendations? Thought we were advised to eat fat, and chicken skin?

Reactions: KK123

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I came to this site, there was a full page of "Foods that help diabetes" When I read it, the advice was NHS advice. Lean meats, chicken without the skin. ETC..Then there is a video with a woman quoting NHS recommendations? Why would a site like this be putting up NHS food recommendations? Thought we were advised to eat fat, and chicken skin?

Hi Derry, I don't think this site is JUST about keto/low carb diets though. Thank goodness really because it would alienate quite a few people who don't follow that strategy. I imagine it's all about balance and at least if people can research all of it they can then make an informed decision as to what regime to follow. I also don't think this site is telling everyone to eat fat & chicken skin? x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Derry - could you post a link to the page you are referring to, please?

When I go to the Homepage, this is where I land: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/ by any chance?
Blue instead of the fetching red of this site? :cool:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
only type 2's low carbing. The site is here for all types of diabetics, and food choices to control their condition. Can I have a link to the page you are talking about please?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I tried to find the page in question, but couldn't, I even tried my phone too, but nothing, maybe a gremlin in the works :wideyed:
Regarding food, I have never been advised to eat fat and chicken skin.
This site is for all type of people with different type's of diabetes and management. :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. It was the advise on lean meat, and saying the word "Limit" white bread, pastries etc. Here it the link...https://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/which-foods-help-diabetes.html

The same page also says this (see quote in italics below), which is a fair explanation and allows everyone to make their own decisions, according to their own type of diabetes, carb tolerances, health issues and so on. I think it provides enough info to allow people to make up their own minds (although maybe the saturated fat comment is a bit outdated):

Some people may be comfortable completely ruling these foods (white carbs) out of their diet whereas others may want to occasionally include some of these foods every now and again. The key is to be able to pick a sensible limit and be able to stick to it.

Many people also suggest staying away from so-called Diabetic Food.

EAT ACCORDING TO YOUR BLOOD GLUCOSE METER
Everyone is different, so what works for one person is no guarantee it will work for another. It’s worth knowing and being aware of general guidelines and then testing to see how different foods affect your sugar levels.

One tried and tested method is to try different foods and meals by testing your blood sugar before eating (taking any medication as you usually would) and then testing your blood at two hour intervals.

A blood test before eating, 2 hours after and 4 hours after will be a good test for most meals, however, some low GI foods (such as whole meal pasta) may need a test 6 hours after to see the effect of the food.