Type 2 low carb diet

themutant

Hi new member here, recently diagnosed and been told to go on a low carb diet so i was wondering if you nice folk may share what you have found in the way of things you can eat on such a diet. im getting differing opinions from websites on stuff like Pasta and brown rice so i thought id go straight to people who have dealt with this themselves.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Meat, fish, seafood, eggs.
Green veg (grown above ground so includes cauliflower etc)
Berries (raspberries and strawberries.)
Dairy if you like it great for satiety.

Avoid stodgy food like rice, pasta, bread, root veg and anything with sugar so no cakes, pastries etc.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Don't fall for the various 'experts' claiming that low GI foods such as brown bread, brown rice and wholemeal pasta are better for blood glucose. They usually contain almost exactly the same amount of starch, which just hits the bloodstream a fraction slower. The result is very little different to white carbs.

Some people find they can tolerate more carbs than others, but I would advise you to make up your own mind on this by getting a blood glucose meter (the Tee2 and the Codefree are v economical to run, and available in the UK) and testing your own reaction to the foods you want to eat. Don't accept that 'porridge is OK' or 'granary bread is good for you' or 'weetabix is the breakfast of champions!' until you have tested those foods thoroughly on your own body with your own meter.

The odds are good that once you see what they are doing to your blood glucose, you will find a better, lower carb replacement. :D

jennyjane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I dislike cruelty to children and animals and all living creatures. Also, I dislike bullies, extreme modern art and architecture, supermarket and shop music that is unmelodic
Someone I know has just lost 6 stone in weight! He said it was just giving up bread and keeping off obvious foods that are bad for you and eating sensibly. He had severe back problems and was in great pain and was supposed to have an operation on his back - this was why he lost weight, but now the back pain is minimal and controlled with drugs and he has now been told that he probably would not need an operation now because of his weight loss. He is a type 2 diabetic.

I have lost half a stone during lock-down. I eat lots of nice things but use sweetners instead of sugar, never have take-aways - except perhaps bought fish and chips about once every six weeks and have lots of home made smoothies ie I have just had one today - ie blend two tangerines plus a ripe banana, a dessertspoolful of low fat creme fraiche plus a little milk to make it up to a glass full. Delicious and very good for you. Obviously, one needs to be careful with bananas as very ripe ones contain a certain amount of sugar, but you can just use half of one if worried on this score. I make homemade stews in my pressure cooker and freeze them down in individual portions but I use some root vegetables - something people on low carbohydrate diets might not want to do - my bloods are, fortunately, always under control. My very best wishes to everyone wanting to lose weight.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't manage smoothies even if made from salad - bananas and tangerines would put me way high.
I do have a fish from the fish and chip shop - no chips and I peel off the batter, and no root vegetables - my meter shows me that my personal tolerance of carbs is very low - so I just adjust down to what I could cope with and it works very well.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't be afraid of good fats they help you not to feel hungry as you lower your carbs I enjoy butter on my vegetables ,full fat natural yoghurt, double cream, cheese ,nuts, avocados .These have minimal effect on my blood glucose levels and my cholesterol levels are within limits
Carol

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Always look for Carb content on the back of food packaging and look for Total Carbs. Keep the daily total down to a sensible amount possibly 150gm or less.

Reactions: Tophat1900

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I agree with the suggestion by @Brunneria to invest in a meter. A year on and I still test regularly even though my HbA1c has been in the normal range from 3 months after diagnosis. I went really low carb for a couple of reasons- I wanted to lose weight (and have), I wanted to try to attack my insulin resistance and I physically crave carbs less if I have fewer carbs.

The meter is the tool that will tell you how your body is dealing with the carbs you eat- it allows you to work out how many carbs your body can tolerate and which ones are particularly bad for you. We are all different and some types of carbs can punch above their weight for some people.

Read around- you've been given a great link by @Tophat1900 - it is a great place to start. Fell free to ask questions or ask for suggestions- people here are wonderful and ready to help.

Good luck and welcome.

Reactions: Tophat1900