Sugar Withdrawal

Wayward Blood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All!

Basically I’m just here to complain today. I became a Dad a few weeks ago, and it’s turned out to be far more physically demanding than I expected. I’ve been struggling to keep my blood sugar levels above 4, but just about managing with a LOT of glucose tablets.

This obviously isn’t healthy in the long run, and my stomach hasn’t been thanking me either. I’ve spent the last few days adjusting my insulin doses, and now have things pretty much under control. This has massively reduced my glucose intake, and I’ve not needed to worry about hypos for the past couple of days.

However, I’m now getting sugar withdrawal symptoms! I’m hungrier than I’ve been in years, and meal times can’t come quickly enough. I’m also finding myself even more tired than usual and with a headache that disappears when I eat.

I can deal with this, and it’s very much a temporary thing, but I thought I’d visit the forums and have a good old fashioned complain in the meantime! It’s really nice to be able to go out for a walk with my son without having to stop and scan every 2 minutes in case I’ve gone low.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Congratulations on your new dadhood.

Could it be the lack of sleep/change in sleep pattern affecting your hunger?
I seem to remember reading somewhere tiredness can affect or increase the need to snack??

Wayward Blood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Congratulations on your new dadhood.

Could it be the lack of sleep/change in sleep pattern affecting your hunger?
I seem to remember reading somewhere tiredness can affect or increase the need to snack??
Thank you! I think it’s mostly the sudden drop in glucose intake, as it wasn’t too bad until a couple of days ago. The sleep situation probably isn’t helping either though! But both shall pass.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
congratulations on your son!

Yes parenthood can be very hard work. so glad you are feeling better and can now spend some time enjoying your son.

Reactions: Wayward Blood