Type 2 Flatbread slip up

Buzzer81

My lunch today came with a free complimentary flat bread. I looked at this bread for a while and made a poor decision to eat. Gone from 5.4 to 10.9 at the last check 2.5 hours later......

Wwwhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyy??????

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My lunch today came with a free complimentary flat bread. I looked at this bread for a while and made a poor decision to eat. Gone from 5.4 to 10.9 at the last check 2.5 hours later......

Well you know exactly why your blood has spiked so I"m thinking the why is why didn't I just chuck it in the bin?

Reactions: MrsA2 and Buzzer81

Buzzer81

Yes! I have been so good and resisted so many things, countless times in last 6 months..... but I just crumbled....

Fearful for the damage it may be causing on my body but I’ll have to refocus my efforts now.

Three and a bit hours I’m logging 8.8mmol..... I hope it’ll return to under 6 soon

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes! I have been so good and resisted so many things, countless times in last 6 months..... but I just crumbled....

Fearful for the damage it may be causing on my body but I’ll have to refocus my efforts now.

Three and a bit hours I’m logging 8.8mmol..... I hope it’ll return to under 6 soon
If you can take a quick walk, do.

We all stumble at some point or another. Get 'em back down and go from there.

Reactions: Buzzer81

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Whilst it looks like you had a stonking response to the flatbread, possible some of the remaining high could be attributed to the stress and frustration reaction to the reading.

Buzzer81

Ah yes a walk would have been a good idea!!!! I was very flat out with work today and stress would definitely have played a part I imagine.

Just checked 5 hours later and down to 6.4. Have a headache as well now.

Oh well, time to start thinking about dinner and I’ll be very good!!!!

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I feel your pain.

This morning, 2 slices of toasted Nimble bread (9g carbs per slice) and a large cup of instant coffee (2 teaspoons of Douwe Egberts in a mega-mug, with a dash of semi-skimmed) have taken me from a 5.7 to (take your pick of 3 tests within the space of 5 minutes) 8.6, 9.8 and 8.7, 2 hours later. The last time I had the same 2 slices of buttered toast, the rise was 0.9 and I don't think coffee usually affects me significantly at all.

I once saw learning to fly a helicopter described as "You move the controls and you see what happens. If you want the same thing to happen again, you move the controls the same way." But the way diabetes seems to work, you move the controls the same way, and something totally different happens each time. I don't think it helps that your typical glucose meter is basically a random number generator, centred vaguely around your actual blood sugar level. Given that 2 of the 3 above were 0.1 mmol/L apart, I'm going to take them as accurate, and ignore the 9.8 altogether. But still a full 3 mmol/L rise from 2 slices of toasted low carb bread and a big mug of coffee. And I think 9.8 is the highest reading (including misreads) I've had out of the meter since going low carb.

My only takeaway from this is that my tolerance for bread, even the supposedly low carb stuff with smaller slices, is appalling. As non-sweet substances go, it's probably the one I need to avoid more than any other, including rice.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel your pain.

This morning, 2 slices of toasted Nimble bread (9g carbs per slice) and a large cup of instant coffee (2 teaspoons of Douwe Egberts in a mega-mug, with a dash of semi-skimmed) have taken me from a 5.7 to (take your pick of 3 tests within the space of 5 minutes) 8.6, 9.8 and 8.7, 2 hours later. The last time I had the same 2 slices of buttered toast, the rise was 0.9 and I don't think coffee usually affects me significantly at all.

I once saw learning to fly a helicopter described as "You move the controls and you see what happens. If you want the same thing to happen again, you move the controls the same way." But the way diabetes seems to work, you move the controls the same way, and something totally different happens each time. I don't think it helps that your typical glucose meter is basically a random number generator, centred vaguely around your actual blood sugar level. Given that 2 of the 3 above were 0.1 mmol/L apart, I'm going to take them as accurate, and ignore the 9.8 altogether. But still a full 3 mmol/L rise from 2 slices of toasted low carb bread and a big mug of coffee. And I think 9.8 is the highest reading (including misreads) I've had out of the meter since going low carb.

My only takeaway from this is that my tolerance for bread, even the supposedly low carb stuff with smaller slices, is appalling. As non-sweet substances go, it's probably the one I need to avoid more than any other, including rice.

Hi Nicole, I absolutely agree. There are 4 things that I KNOW I have to take a lot more insulin for than absolutely anything else and those are bread/potatoes/rice/cereal!!!!!

Reactions: Nicole T

Buzzer81

I feel your pain.

Yes! I agree that it is so frustrating how random the readings are.... I tend to categorise them into 5-7 Ok range.... 7-8 better do something an 8+ you’ve been an idiot again.

I tried three back to back tests once and they were all over the place.

However, I have now learnt that chips and any sort of bread will make me rise beyond levels I’m comfortable with so will be sure to avoid..... god I miss chips!

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes! I agree that it is so frustrating how random the readings are.... I tend to categorise them into 5-7 Ok range.... 7-8 better do something an 8+ you’ve been an idiot again.

I tried three back to back tests once and they were all over the place.

However, I have now learnt that chips and any sort of bread will make me rise beyond levels I’m comfortable with so will be sure to avoid..... god I miss chips!
I broadly agree. I don't mind seeing up to a 7.5, 2 hours after food. I'd rather see 6's and below, the rest of the time. I've a Libre on its way, and a fairly bingey weekend coming up. I'm rather hoping what the Libre records doesn't scare the pants off me. But I'm better off knowing than not.

jane d

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I broadly agree. I don't mind seeing up to a 7.5, 2 hours after food. I'd rather see 6's and below, the rest of the time. I've a Libre on its way, and a fairly bingey weekend coming up. I'm rather hoping what the Libre records doesn't scare the pants off me. But I'm better off knowing than not.
Your libre readings will be an education. When I got mine I found I was having regular lows overnight which I was unaware of. So I've got that sorted. Now I'm trying to tackle the mid morning high that happens even if I don't eat.

Buzzer81

Oh interesting. I looked at that and think it will be a good investment to really understand how my body is doing. I’ll be interested to hear how you get on. Enjoy your weekend!!!!

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh interesting. I looked at that and think it will be a good investment to really understand how my body is doing. I’ll be interested to hear how you get on. Enjoy your weekend!!!!
I'm still within the first 24 hours, and the readings are awful. Absolutely no correlation to what I'm getting from finger prick testing (Libre readings are much higher, and not by any specific amount. I've had 6.0 read as both 9.4 and 10.6 at different times) Apparently the sensors can cause some irritation for the first 48 hours or so, that causes your body to send glucose to the insertion point. Hoping they'll start to get closer to agreeing over the next 24 hours or so. It's tomorrow night's results that I'm really interested in.

They do puncture your skin (the blurb is a little ambiguous about that) and I'm getting the occasional twinge from it. Though that seems to have settled down a lot from yesterday, too. On another thread, @Brunneria suggested following the trends rather than the figures, since I'm not using insulin. And the chart is proving quite telling, in that respect.

Buzzer81

Interesting, I’m sure it will settle down and yeah, the trends will be good to see. I’ll keep my eyes out for your progress.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting, I’m sure it will settle down and yeah, the trends will be good to see. I’ll keep my eyes out for your progress.
Since you asked (so I'm not hijacking your thread )

48 hours in, and the figures are still nonsense. Anything between 2 mmol/L under-read and 3 mmol/L over-read compared to finger prick, at times when my blood sugar shouldn't really be rising or falling significantly. I've seen higher numbers on the Libre app than I've ever seen on my finger prick meter, including the ones from the couple of days I was testing before going low carb.

Tonight is the night I really bought it for: having a curry with a friend. So I'm disappointed it hasn't settled down and is still untrustworthy. The only remotely useful thing I will get from it is the trend, and I'm not even sure I trust that. If it's still like this on Monday, I will be contacting the manufacturer.

Buzzer81

Since you asked (so I'm not hijacking your thread )

48 hours in, and the figures are still nonsense. Anything between 2 mmol/L under-read and 3 mmol/L over-read compared to finger prick, at times when my blood sugar shouldn't really be rising or falling significantly. I've seen higher numbers on the Libre app than I've ever seen on my finger prick meter, including the ones from the couple of days I was testing before going low carb.

Tonight is the night I really bought it for: having a curry with a friend. So I'm disappointed it hasn't settled down and is still untrustworthy. The only remotely useful thing I will get from it is the trend, and I'm not even sure I trust that. If it's still like this on Monday, I will be contacting the manufacturer.

How frustrating?! That’s disappointing. Maybe worth starting a new thread to see other people’s experiences? Fingers crossed it settles down and gives you readings you can trust. Did you have rice with your curry?! A new curry place opened at the end of our street. We’re thinking of getting takeaway tonight and making cauliflower rice at home to go with it!

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How frustrating?! That’s disappointing. Maybe worth starting a new thread to see other people’s experiences? Fingers crossed it settles down and gives you readings you can trust. Did you have rice with your curry?! A new curry place opened at the end of our street. We’re thinking of getting takeaway tonight and making cauliflower rice at home to go with it!
I think it finally settled sometime in the early hours of this morning, sadly missing the event that I really wanted to monitor. This morning's Libre reading was identical to my finger prick reading. A couple more of those, and I think my faith will be restored. I've seen it said that these things take up to 48 hours to settle. It took even longer than that for me, but fingers crossed I have 12 days worth of valid readings to look forward to. On your first one, I think the temptation to see how it works and play with the app is too great to wait more than the hour that it forces you to, but in future, I think I'd apply it and wait 48 hours before activating it, both to get the maximum of meaningful data out of the unit, and to avoid the anxiety causing false readings.

I had rice. Boiled basmati, pre-soaked, and then thoroughly rinsed after cooking. My friend said she cooked about 100g for me, but I think it was more like 150. It was at least twice as much as I needed with the meal, but it's rude not to finish. That and a reckless fruit juice based cocktail shoved the Libre up to 13.8 at one point (not good - it actually produced a warning) and the graph shows I was above 8.5 from around 6pm until midnight. But finger prick testing was showing the Libre to still be over-reading by about 2 mmol/L at that point, so if you factor that in, it's probably not so awful. Still, I hit 10.2 on the finger prick test. That's still the first time I've seen double figures on the meter since going low carb. (Not that last night's experiment was low carb.)

Next time I go, I'll ask her to halve the amount of rice. I think I'll be happy to take the hit on that, as an occasional treat. She wasn't comfortable doing the konjac, so that remains to be tried another day.

In spite of the issues, I've learned a couple of useful things. Alcohol doesn't delay carb spikes for me: consuming too many still hits me within an hour of doing so. No nasty surprises several hours later, after sobering up. And in general, it seems my blood sugar is doing just fine without medication, as I don't do anything especially stupid. Though that last one might change, as I collect more data.

Buzzer81

Ok brilliant, so now it’s working the next 12 days will be interesting. That 10 is a bit worrying but obviously rice is going to do that. I had a takeaway curry last night and made cauliflower rice at home with it. Was amazing. Forgot to test but this morning was 5.9 finger prick test so hope I didn’t have any rise overnight.