Teeth

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I am waiting to have some teeth taken out. So far the worst tooth has become infected four times, each time resulting in the well known (by now) routine: wait 48 hrs for ' in pain' dentist appointment, get prescribed antibiotics, told to take over the counter pain relief, told I am on list for tooth removal and will be phoned with appointment time. Last time I pushed harder, turns out there's about a month's wait to have a tooth removed, which restarts when the tooth gets infected and is seen by a dentist.
The bg readings are actually helpful, when they shoot to 20+ for no apparent reason I know I have a tooth infection and will shortly be in pain.
And the final straw? My fourth and final wisdom tooth has started erupting. Yes, I'm 46 and teething. At the moment it appears to be going sideways, so if it doesn't straighten up it'll be a trip to hospital and extraction under general anaesthetic.

I don't want to have teeth anymore. Gastroparesis is going to put me on a soft/liquid diet anyway, what do I really need these bleeding teeth for? (Note to moderator: teeth are actually bleeding from the gums, adjective not expletive).

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
So horrible for you. I know how quickly this can happen. Before I was diagnosed with diabetes, I called my dentist to ask for an appointment as I was getting a bit of a twinge in one of my teeth. "Wednesday OK?" "Fine". Two hours later I had to call back and ask for an emergency appointment, as the twinge turned into hell.

The reason you have to wait after a recurrence of the infection, is that the bacteria in the tooth turn the gum and tooth environment acid, which stops the local anaesthetic working properly.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
The reason you have to wait after a recurrence of the infection, is that the bacteria in the tooth turn the gum and tooth environment acid, which stops the local anaesthetic working properly.

Thank you for telling me this. I was left with the impression it was mindless bureaucracy, but if there's a genuine reason I'm just going to have to hope for a month-long infection break.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently had a tooth out which came out easily but then had two bouts of dry socket - ouch!!

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I have a dentist appointment tomorrow, for the rotten tooth to finally be extracted. So, this morning I wake up, think hang on, was that a twinge. No. No way, purely psychosomatic surely. By lunch I phone up and change to a exam-and-antibiotic appointment (got the routine down now). Right now I'd be howling if I wasn't tanked up on painkillers.

Sigh. Looks like I'm keeping the tooth for another few weeks...

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
The good news - the dentist took pity on me, squeezed me into a slot, warned me he had to use LOTS of local, both because of possible recent infection and because it was a back tooth. TOOTH IS GONE

The bad news - it didn't break cleanly so the poor man had to put quite a lot of effort and leverage into getting the last little fragments. I'm bruised. That's an understatement, I look like a hamster with a walnut in its cheek pouch. It also tastes like the aforementioned hamster crawled into my mouth and died. But...

WAHEY!! THE TOOTH IS GONE

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Seacrow we can be twins, I had an infected back tooth out on Friday. Hope your bruising and dead-hamster taste subsides soon. Look after yourself :cat:

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello @Seacrow, just wanted to see how you were getting on after your tooth extraction, hope you are feeling better now :)

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hello @Seacrow, just wanted to see how you were getting on after your tooth extraction, hope you are feeling better now :)

Having never heard of dry socket until someone mentioned it in this thread, I've now got it. Totally my own fault, I did an overly vigorous gargle with saline, and pulled the blood clots out. I now have a cavity in the gum that hurts when I rinse it out, and the dentist recommends rinsing with warm saline every couple of hours. Prognosis? It'll get better eventually.

Hope your ex-tooth is doing so much better.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having never heard of dry socket until someone mentioned it in this thread, I've now got it. Totally my own fault, I did an overly vigorous gargle with saline, and pulled the blood clots out. I now have a cavity in the gum that hurts when I rinse it out, and the dentist recommends rinsing with warm saline every couple of hours. Prognosis? It'll get better eventually.

Oh dear I'm sorry to hear that, you seem to have had some rubbish luck with your poor tooth, I hope it's not too painful and sorts itself out soon. Do you just have to wait for another clot to form? Mine's doing ok thanks, shame yours isn't :(

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I

I don't want to have teeth anymore. Gastroparesis is going to put me on a soft/liquid diet anyway, what do I really need these bleeding teeth for? (Note to moderator: teeth are actually bleeding from the gums, adjective not expletive).
My mum when she was in her early 50s decide SHE didn't want teeth any more and had the whole lot taken out. She lived happily ever after for another 40+ years with a nice pain free set of false gnashers....

But I don't think she was having anything like the issues you've had - I hope you'll be OK now and not end up going to the same extremes as she did...

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

@Seacrow hope the dry socket is on the mend. I had to go back to the dentist twice to have mine flushed out and repacked. The second time he prescribed antibiotics which did the trick. It will take a while but you’ll get there - I used to rinse, carefully, with warm salt water every morning, after each meal and at night.