What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Antje77 you are brilliant! Parmesan it shall be!
@Rachox I'm really appreciating your meal pics!!
@Lindy-Lou01 Welcome!
@Annb I have never been able to shop without a list which I've created over the week. One item I think I could do, but living in suburbia, I don't drive out just for one thing. Sure wish my mind could be telling me I was 40 years younger!!
Having watched closely my mother's dementia journey, I am on hyper-alert for signs of what we call here Mild Cognitive Impairment in myself. I think I'm going to ask my PCP to do the little mini mental test on me. And then there's MrZF... his mother also had dementia, but did not progress as far as Mom. So there we'll be, two old folks with "dementia-probably-Alzheimer's" and neither of us will think a thing is wrong with us, and will fight proffered help tooth and nail. We have only sons, and only one of them will really know what to do. Lord have mercy on us all.
Bfast scraping the non-crunchy part of an avocado half off the pit, pecans, 2 boiled eggs, flax crisps/dilute soy, pinches of non-LC ginger cookie dough as I baked the last of the original batch. Have to think of a dessert to bake for tomorrow's lunch. If I put in so many pecans it's 75% pecans, maybe I can make nut jumbles in a bar form and have one myself, with less guilt.
Lunch and/or snack if I have to, maybe cheese and pecans
Supper maybe zucchini spirals (angel hair for MrZF)/spaghetti sauce from a jar, spinach/hm dressing, flax crisps/dilute soy
It got cold out (alright, I have thin blood lol youall would probably call it warm...) which deserves a casserole, but we are live-streaming a symphony concert tonight and before that I have to get alot of music work done. Performing arts are no respecter of weekends!

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I am a newbie here.

Breakfast - a cup of water, One multigrain toast with peanut butter and then I had white tea.
Morning tea - an apple with few strawberries
Lunch - Chicken with lots of salads. I ate two cream cake :nailbiting: BG 6.3 at 2 hours.
Dinner - One multigrain toast with peanut butter.

Cheers
Welcome. I'm pretty new myself. but I've quickly discovered that everyone is very friendly and always willing to help with recipes and advice.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sensible question. Em hasn't thought of that one yet. Kids are much more sensible than we often give them credit for. I don't suppose that, on this still very religious (not to say pious) Island, I should really encourage her to ask what fundamentalist Christians would call blasphemous questions. I had plenty of that when I was at school because I couldn't understand how RE teachers could believe what they told us to believe. Neil asked them to prove what they were saying. When they wouldn't (couldn't) he told them that he simply didn't believe them. He wasn't popular either.
The boys have had loads of questions and they are working out there are a lot of illogical issues with the stories from the bible. It doesn't stop them actually liking them though, particularly the old testament. Oddly, they were quite satisfied that Lazarus was resurrected and accepted tgat without question. Noah and these animals though is a different story. They are of the opinion no way would lions, tigers and hyenas not feast on other available animals.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, and to @shelley262 too. I thought that DP came on before you woke up/as you were waking up, rather than some time later, or is this incorrect? My BG readings just before supper were 5.3 and 5.5 though so perhaps the liver dump was after I'd got up and taken my morning readings. Interesting.

Funny, at lunchtime I struggled to eat two courses and this evening I've really got the munchies and am having to stop myself from rampaging through that box of chocolates (and more besides). :D
I've seen me being in the 5's on waking, other times up in the 7's. There's no reason to what the liver gets up to. Even if I start in the 5's guaranteed it rises as soon as I start moving about until such time as I eat something. If I don't eat it will eventually plateau and descend again. I just accept it for what it is now.
Another oddity is exercise I'm a regular gym attendee (currently my Club is still closed) but I discovered if I didn't eat before going, had a gym session then a swim or a class my BGs would increase. Highly annoying but made sense when you thought about it. Your body was looking for something to "burn" and in the absence of food, in kicked the liver again. That got me into the habit of eating a cracker or an oatcake pre gym. It did descend without food but it was tge psychology of it 1-1.5 hrs and it increases??

Reactions: ziggy_w and Mauriac

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Way behind with all your news and not sure I’ve posted meals for a few days. Don’t remember most of what I ate prior to today, aside from some illicit crisps on the train yesterday. Very enjoyable but a bit too much of a spike really - a nice mountain range on the Libre.

Am away for the weekend in Newcastle - fabulous view of the Tyne Bridge from my hotel room - and had a day out at Beamish open air museum today. That meant nothing to eat until 3pm. Ordered click and collect Nando’s from the bus home (!) - wings and halloumi. Still peckish a bit later so stopped at Five Guys for a bunless burger. Hotel Chocolat is within view of Five Guys. Succumbed to one of their delicious ultimate chocolate ice lollies. That was all in the space of 2 hours, so almost counts as an extended OMAD :hilarious:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been not quite right since migraine at beginning of the week, but think its morphed into some sort of nose infection that may have gone down to chest. Can function OK but chest aches and one side of nose drips... might have been returning to yoga or a massage I had moving stuff around. Been reading up on keto and migraines. Mine should have vanished by now.

L: 2 fried eggs and bacon. Not my favourite way of eating eggs and bacon but not as slimy as I remembered. Did enjoy a fresh tomato with it. Its a texture thing.
D: 1 chipolata, a half a mozzarella ball and a slice of halloumi
I had aches, migraine and awful nasal issues at the tail end of my lengthy illness from March until recently. I'm convinced there are lots of viral nasties going about.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Way behind with all your news and not sure I’ve posted meals for a few days. Don’t remember most of what I ate prior to today, aside from some illicit crisps on the train yesterday. Very enjoyable but a bit too much of a spike really - a nice mountain range on the Libre.

Am away for the weekend in Newcastle - fabulous view of the Tyne Bridge from my hotel room - and had a day out at Beamish open air museum today. That meant nothing to eat until 3pm. Ordered click and collect Nando’s from the bus home (!) - wings and halloumi. Still peckish a bit later so stopped at Five Guys for a bunless burger. Hotel Chocolat is within view of Five Guys. Succumbed to one of their delicious ultimate chocolate ice lollies. That was all in the space of 2 hours, so almost counts as an extended OMAD :hilarious:

That's not One Meal A Day, that's An All Day One Meal.

Reactions: zauberflote

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I follow Gertrude Jeykell. Odd numbers all the way for a naturalistic presentation.
We will agree to differ when it comes to chips
Yes, very chefy the odd numbers. Personally, my limit is 3 chips

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Mauriac - I agree with @Annb, that's an OK rise. Remember, DP is the last to show a change and it can take months. It also takes a while for DP to get lower if you've been ill. I am also an avid list maker (@Annb, @Chook,@zauberflote). I keep a magnetic note pad on the fridge and list things as we run out. I had more than enough of us knowing there were 3 things we needed and sitting with Hubby trying to remember what the 3rd thing was! @Goonergal - we were in Malmaison in Newcastle last year - great views. Is it under curfew yet?
B. TAG and 2 slices of skinny bread with pate.
L. Nothing - out with No 2 grandson as big brother was having a mini birthday party with friends from his class "bubble".
D. The other chicken pattie with the peppercorn centre but with a salad of lettuce, avocado, tomato, 2 mini beets and cheese.

You'll remember "that child" and the awful mother. No 2 grandson announced while we were heading to the toy shop that "mother" had turned her schedule inside out. In what way? Oh she sleeps all day and works all night. Oh, I said but hold on, she can't leave you know who alone all night. Oh it's OK he said, she works on a laptop . While I mulled over what job required working all night on a laptop and while parking the car, the voice from the car seat behind me announced, "Personally Nana, I reckon she's a kind of bat". I burst out laughing so he felt the need to tell me bats come out at night I've laughed a few times since then.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a rather large notebook which lives on the table in the kitchen. As I think of things to go on the shopping list, I write it down (if I can remember what it was by the time I get to the table - often it's too late). The list gets tidied into groups, eg veg, fruit, dairy, meat, fish, Neil's stuff and at the end extras that don't fit into any category. Mondays and Thursdays Neil tears the list out of the book and gets what he can from it. Anything not available goes onto the next page from the notebook for next shopping day list. Usually, I've thought of something that should have been on the list before he gets back from town and the new list is already started. It sounds fairly organised, but it is a haphazard way of remembering things and is usually a late night Sunday or Wednesday job to sort it out.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The boys have had loads of questions and they are working out there are a lot of illogical issues with the stories from the bible. It doesn't stop them actually liking them though, particularly the old testament. Oddly, they were quite satisfied that Lazarus was resurrected and accepted tgat without question. Noah and these animals though is a different story. They are of the opinion no way would lions, tigers and hyenas not feast on other available animals.

Em's latest was: When her Dad reached something on a very high shelf - "Dad, you are amazing! You must be God." "Well, no. I might be godlike, but I'm definitely not God." "No, of course not - you're far too pale to be God." This was puzzling but it turned out that she had seen the film "Evan Almighty" in which Morgan Freeman was God. Her take on colour is a bit puzzling too. She asked me if Neil and her Dad were coloured because she and DIL are far paler skinned than either of them. I explained that their skin colour is naturally dark because they are often outside in the Hebridean weather, but not what is known as "coloured". "But that is what dark skin is, isn't it?" "Yes, everyone is a slightly different colour to everyone else." "Well, that's what I meant!" "I love you Granny, but you are a bit silly sometimes."

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For shopping, we have a master list that never moves, and only has things added or removed, with a segregated list for the butcher.

As we need something it is added to the master list. When I am (or MrB is) running errands, if going near (name shop), I'll copy items from the master list to a post-it note, to go with me. Items bought are then scored through on the master when I get home.

That works for us - mainly.

We also have To-Do lists - Major and Minor. Of course,both lists are somewhat dynamic, but I will crow when I state that I could take down the Summer Majors list yesterday, as I finished the outside painting (outbuilding doors and gates) on Thursday. Hurrah!

We're also coming towards the close of the build phase of a summer project, which has been subject to the most outrageous project creep known to man. It started having only one phase, and we're getting there with phase 4.

Next year,...........

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox I'm really appreciating your meal pics!!
Oopsie sorry @zauberflote i forgot tonight :shy:

Sixth day of holibobs.
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: coconut cappuccino and birthday cake phd bar
Late Lunch: bacon and leafy salad followed by DGF lemon and blueberry cake with cream and vanilla and raspberry LC granola.
Dinner: Indian, lamb bhuna with veggies and 1/2 a poppadom followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola back in our lodge.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Late quick entry:
Breakfast one boiled egg and buttered lc seeded crackers
Lunch smoked trout, some nuts, and more LC crackers
Mid pm Aldi seed and nut and dark choc bar
Dinner hm chicken curry with Corriander followed by DGF lemon and blueberry with a few berries from garden and cream.
@Goonergal enjoy your break in the North East hope that it goes well despite the new restrictions in place.
@Rachox your hols sound great

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Goonergal how come, wherever you find yourself, there is a Hotel Chocolat right across the way from a Five Guys?
@Annb I use a slip of paper custom cut for mine but I organize it by my grocery store-- same idea. My 30-yr-old son who works at that store gets a list in a text message, but he probably goes all differently than I do. He certainly shops well for somebody who has never eaten a vegetable in his life (is pizza sauce a vegetable? Ketchup was a vegetable to one of the Presidents Bush, and went on the federal nutrition list for school lunches.
@DCUKMod cartwheels for the painting!!!!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal - we were in Malmaison in Newcastle last year - great views. Is it under curfew yet?
I don’t think formal curfew (I’d never be out late enough to know for sure) but bars etc have to shut at 10pm.
I’m just across the river from Malmaison, at the Hilton in Gateshead.
@Goonergal how come, wherever you find yourself, there is a Hotel Chocolat right across the way from a Five Guys?
emoji16.png
That made me laugh out loud!

Morning Teaolat with cream before an outing on the Tanfield railway. Only one bus an hour and going extra early so I can have a wander and peak at a couple of other things a bit further down the line from where the trip starts.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
So last few days have been organising for a dinner party for some of my family who are coming over for dinner. Today was the day and I made Greek Lemon Chicken and Potatoes and fatoush salad and a fresh fruit platter and my sister made pana cota was a lovely day that's all I have eaten today I'm still very full.... but I'm exhausted I'm not used to cooking for that many people. I still eating some carbs but have cut back on them slowly getting there. But During the day we had a conversation about diet and I was trying to explain how the standard diet changed because low fat diet recommends we eat carbs like bread pasta etc and how the pyramid is used to suggest that but they argued with me that we should eat carbs that the pyramid does not suggest this and when I said look at the pyramid they kept on saying that we must eat carbs etc so I just kept my mouth shut no use arguing because they were not understanding what I was trying to say. They believe drugs are how to treat T2D and the current diet is the correct way and we should only stop junk food sure I agree with that but if your T2D eat less carbs also but it's there choice.

Reactions: Chook and maglil55