Statin timeframe?

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am trying to understand my morning insulin resistance.

I have been on statins for over 20 years and have decided to try a statin "holiday" to see what it does to my numbers. Does anybody know how long the statins would have to be out of my system before any possible change in my readings take place, if at all?

Reactions: LaoDan

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would think a few days.

So are you saying that the effect stains would have on blood sugars would be short term i.e., whilst the last few days of tablets are still in the blood stream and that long term use of statins would not have made changes that would take longer to work out of the system?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So are you saying that the effect stains would have on blood sugars would be short term i.e., whilst the last few days of tablets are still in the blood stream and that long term use of statins would not have made changes that would take longer to work out of the system?

I guessing it will also be slightly dependent on the dosage you were on..
Were you taking anything like CoQ10 to ameliorate the statin side effects etc etc

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guessing it will also be slightly dependent on the dosage you were on..
Were you taking anything like CoQ10 to ameliorate the statin side effects etc etc

I used to take CoQ10 and loads of other supplements years ago, but dropped most of them, including Q10 because I was rattling with all the prescribed medication I am on !

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Look up the "half life" of the drug you are taking. If this is, for example, 24 hours, it will take one day to clear half of it from your system. It will then take another 24 hours to clear half of the remainder (leaving you with a quarter dose in your body). A further 24 hours will, once again, remove half of the remaining, leaving an eighth. A doctor I discussed this with said that the rule of thumb was three half lives for a drug to become ineffective.
Sally

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am trying to understand my morning insulin resistance.

I have been on statins for over 20 years and have decided to try a statin "holiday" to see what it does to my numbers. Does anybody know how long the statins would have to be out of my system before any possible change in my readings take place, if at all?
My hba1c increased from 48 to 54 when I started taking statins - after I stopped taking them my next 6 monthly hba1c was 43. I was only on them for about 6 months though.