Just completed my first ever 10k

Sarbak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All of the other things
I've been increasing my fitness and stamina steadily since my diagnosis in May and have gone from really struggling to walk even half a mile at that time to just completing my first 10k.... in fact, to be precise, 6.88 miles.

I would pat myself on the back, but I'm too knackered and sweaty :happy:

p.s. I'm just under 18 stone, so carrying a pretty hefty amount around with me :inpain:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great stuff @Sarbak

Do you enjoy the walking? I did similar to you, started walking after diagnosis and am now totally addicted.

Reactions: Sarbak

Sarbak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All of the other things
Great stuff @Sarbak

Do you enjoy the walking? I did similar to you, started walking after diagnosis and am now totally addicted.

Well, that's a tricky question to answer. A walk like today's is enjoyable for odd reasons - because I feel like I deserve to be punished for allowing myself to get so fat and because I know I'm burning way more calories than I would if I sat on my backside on the sofa for the same amount of time.

But, what I do really genuinely enjoy is the slower paced walking off road - hiking through the woods, navigating fallen trees, challenging myself to climb steep hills and stuff. This is the kind of activity I can 100% see myself continuing when I've got to my goal size and stopped punishing myself with the speed walking that leaves me in quite a bit of discomfort lol

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A walk like today's is enjoyable for odd reasons - because I feel like I deserve to be punished for allowing myself to get so fat
I expect you already know the getting fat is likely at least partly due to being predispositioned to getting T2? You've likely overproduced insulin for a very long time before it culminated into having diabetes.
Feelings aren't very good at listening to logic though, but I thought to mention it anyway :)

But, what I do really genuinely enjoy is the slower paced walking off road - hiking through the woods, navigating fallen trees, challenging myself to climb steep hills and stuff. This is the kind of activity I can 100% see myself continuing when I've got to my goal size and stopped punishing myself with the speed walking that leaves me in quite a bit of discomfort lol
Sounds good!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, that's a tricky question to answer. A walk like today's is enjoyable for odd reasons - because I feel like I deserve to be punished for allowing myself to get so fat and because I know I'm burning way more calories than I would if I sat on my backside on the sofa for the same amount of time.

Beware of causing yourself too much discomfort, that’s how injuries happen. I speak from experience of shin splints, Achilles tendinitis and various other things - all of which stopped me doing so much of something I’ve come to love.

And absolutely no need to punish yourself. Sounds like you got this!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes indeed.

i have, over the decades, done some serious damage to my body due to overenthusiastic exercising - including walking too far, too hard, and too often. Please be careful. Wear good shoes. Not too much pounding of the pavements.

hard walking at 60kg bodyweight is a totally different thing from hard walking at 120kg.
your weight bearing joints are the ones which may pay a hefty price.
voice of experience.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Sarbak way to go! Another voice of caution here-- watch those big joints. I jogged (never fast, never farther than 4.25 miles) over 20,000 miles in 17 years. I have two new hips now. To be fair, there was a predisposition to osteo-arthritis in the family, but the pounding didn't help one bit.
Glad you enjoy the walking, I do too!

Reactions: HeliGary and Sarbak

HeliGary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Load eating , idiots.
I am late to the party, but seriously well done.

I enjoy walking but since being diagnosed I’ve hit running quite hard, not quite to 10k yet but will be by end of April if nothing fails in the meantime.