Is it possible to still eat desserts sometimes?

sd3oaa

Obviously you need to keep your blood sugar under control but I was wondering if people with Type 1 diabetes can still enjoy sweets sometimes as long as their insulin balance is fine?

Thank you.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As long as blood glucose is kept in the target range, it doesn't really matter what is eaten. Figuring out how much insulin and when when it is required when eating desert is difficult, though. I generally avoid all food containing carbohydrate for this reason. I no longer like sweet and carby food anyway, so it is not an issue for me.

Reactions: Catman507

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @sd3oaa - are you type 1 yourself ?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Obviously you need to keep your blood sugar under control but I was wondering if people with Type 1 diabetes can still enjoy sweets sometimes as long as their insulin balance is fine?

Thank you.
A T1 usually has 2 types of insulin; a bolus and a basal. The basal is a background insulin, a bolus is meant to cover a meal. So if one knows the carb content and how much to inject for it, well... They can pretty much often eat like someone with normal pancreatic function. Exceptions to every rule of course, as within T1 some can easily control blood sugars and others have unpredictable responses that make life more complicated, but... Should be possible, yeah.

Reactions: Catman507

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather

Thank you.
@sd3oaa I regularly eat desserts and sometimes have to prick for them. I generally have a few berries with natural yoghurt sometimes with a sprinkle of erythritol. Today I'm making some low carb banana bread which uses almond flour. I've found a low carb choc cake, then there's the cheesecake. The recipes are endless and don't spike me because there's no flour. Cheese is good too and I make the crackers. Hope you find some thing you like.

MattH892

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@sd3oaa I regularly eat dessert, probably 3/4 times a week and manage to stay in range . Of course low carb makes control easier, but if you can figure out correct ratios then it makes no difference.

Just my opinion....

Catman507

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Were you put on a particular diet plan to manage your type one? I am very physically active and am on a higher carb, low fat plan because it was suitable for me as opposed to low carb which also works for many. If you do basal bolus and are unsure trial and error will possibly happen but that's normal. Maybe you can speak to your dietician if uncertain about what works best.

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I eat them often..
Just try to make sure I take the right amount of insulin

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is possible to contrive low carb desserts which would have - should have - little impact.
I make real icecream from a custard of cream and eggs - add the flavour and sweetener of choice. Cream, berries and sugar free jelly are good. I sometimes whip the cream into the jelly at room temperature - just when it is thinking about setting to make it frothy and achieve more volume. There are lots of low carb baking options if you google for them, though you need to watch out for some which aren't really low carb and the serving size is minute. There are fat bombs, and 'chaffles' which are cheese and egg waffles which you can do a lot with and stay low in carbs. I do sometimes think that by seeking to eat 'normally' type ones miss out on a lot of good stuff that we type twos enjoy.

MarkHaZ123

Thank you.
I always have desserts
Sunday for my birthday I had lemon merangue(sp) pie and every night this week Iv had chocolate cake which my partner bought for my birthday
The beauty of T1 is just injecting for it

I do tend to eat healthily and work out but treats now and then are good

Goma5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thank you.

yes- absolutely - it's not too difficult to match the insulin profile with the GI of dessert.

Marieba

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is possible to contrive low carb desserts which would have - should have - little impact.
I make real icecream from a custard of cream and eggs - add the flavour and sweetener of choice. Cream, berries and sugar free jelly are good. I sometimes whip the cream into the jelly at room temperature - just when it is thinking about setting to make it frothy and achieve more volume. There are lots of low carb baking options if you google for them, though you need to watch out for some which aren't really low carb and the serving size is minute. There are fat bombs, and 'chaffles' which are cheese and egg waffles which you can do a lot with and stay low in carbs. I do sometimes think that by seeking to eat 'normally' type ones miss out on a lot of good stuff that we type twos enjoy.
The op didn't ask about low carb though. This was posted on the type 1 forum not the low carb forum

Reactions: KK123

Marieba

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thank you.

As long as you give yourself enough insulin to cover the carbs you are eating, it is all good :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Of course a T1 can eat deserts, but we would need to know more about the kind of insulin you’re using, and the dosing strategy you have right now @sd3oaa. You appear as a ‘newbie’, so if you’re currently on fixed doses, and haven’t yet encountered carb counting and ways to give yourself the amount of insulin you need for the carb you’re eating, you may be in a different situation from those of us who have lived with T1 for some time.
It’d be a good idea to ask the diabetes team who are helping you manage T1 about ways that you can choose what to eat and adapt your bolus (the faster release insulin that covers carbohydrate eaten, and is also used to correct higher blood sugars when required) to it. The other insulin most of us take is a basal insulin. The basal releases more slowly and generally covers the delivery of insulin to allow glucose uptake by major organs etc.)
It’s a bit different for people who use a pump.
If you’re still using a premixed insulin then it’ll be a bit different for you at the moment.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The op didn't ask about low carb though. This was posted on the type 1 forum not the low carb forum
Yes - hence my comment about little impact - I had the impression from the OP that injecting extra insulin was not the objective.

TypeZero.

Thank you.

I eat whatever I want. Don’t really pay attention to it but I generally eat clean anyways, more of a savoury person but like to have something sweet once or twice a month.

My advice would be to eat it the time of day you are most sensitive to insulin. My carb ratios are all the same but for some reason during midday insulin works very quickly and my blood sugar doesn’t rise that much. If you find a certain pattern in yourself then it would be a good time to eat it then.

I wouldn’t stress too much about it, don’t make yourself unhappy by not eating that muffin you really wanted.

There’s a wide spectrum of diabetics and remember that we are not here to judge. This forum has people who only check their blood sugar 3x a day and eat sugary foods often to people who are on keto diets and haven’t had an apple in 4 years

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whereas I'm not even sure if the OP is a Type1, he (or she) has posted asking about T1 stuff and T2 stuff, but never referred to themselves having diabetes. Would be useful if the poster could clarify :)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes - hence my comment about little impact - I had the impression from the OP that injecting extra insulin was not the objective.

Now I don't see it as 'injecting extra insulin', what I try to do is balance my insulin with what I eat so if what I eat requires more insulin then that's the balance, the objective being to emulate a normal pancreas. I do dislike this notion that the amount of insulin one uses is somehow good or bad notwithstanding of course that it is all about the balance you're able to achieve and remain healthy. x