Diabetes and bad Temper...

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

prior to being diagnosed over a decade ago one of the symptoms was an incredibly bad temper that I didn’t realise until levelled off. It was like being wound up too tight, but only after the fact did I realise... I’m told I’m much improved but occasionally have issues if hungry, luckily not in a long time!

My dad had the same symptoms, you always knew when his bloods were high as he became a nightmare

so, curious if this is an issue for all types of diabetics? Am I just unusual? Or is there a medical reason for it?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
High levels = frustration.

Hunger from my point of view, even just getting a cup of coffee when I feel I'm getting a bit too hungry and become impatient with getting stuff done like if out shopping for example. Get a cup of coffee and I'm ok. Or eat and I'm back to normal temper wise. Taking steriods doesn't help matters with temper either.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

prior to being diagnosed over a decade ago one of the symptoms was an incredibly bad temper that I didn’t realise until levelled off. It was like being wound up too tight, but only after the fact did I realise... I’m told I’m much improved but occasionally have issues if hungry, luckily not in a long time!

My dad had the same symptoms, you always knew when his bloods were high as he became a nightmare

so, curious if this is an issue for all types of diabetics? Am I just unusual? Or is there a medical reason for it?
I was a dragon before I lowered my blood sugars. Never realised what it was, until it was gone. Much easier to get along with now, which is nice within a marriage. :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get Hypo-Rage

For Hypers I tend to just get more energy, but it is a weird, 'sugar high' energy, rather than a good sustainable endurance energy.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Nope, I’m pretty jovial, I reached inner peace about 15 years ago when I quit my job, sold my house, cars, and became a digital nomad traveling around East Asia. Was fat and happy when diagnosed, now I’m just happy

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I get Hypo-Rage

For Hypers I tend to just get more energy, but it is a weird, 'sugar high' energy, rather than a good sustainable endurance energy.

I get the same with hypos, but time isn't exactly your friend in these situations. Everything needs to be done quickly to reverse it. And I get an energy kick with a higher level... I think it's possibly the bodies way of getting you to try and burn it off quick.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Bad temper grrrrrrrrr. &#&########. Never lol high bloods sugars I’m like the Incredible Hulk with termites in his pants , my mother always use to say check your blood sugar you grumpy sod lol
Blood sugars have a huge affect on people’s character either high or low bit of a Goldilocks theory only just right will do lol well that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it

stay safe

“the night is dark and full of terrors”

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bad temper grrrrrrrrr. &#&########. Never lol high bloods sugars I’m like the Incredible Hulk with termites in his pants , my mother always use to say check your blood sugar you grumpy sod lol
Blood sugars have a huge affect on people’s character either high or low bit of a Goldilocks theory only just right will do lol well that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it

stay safe

“the night is dark and full of terrors”
Yeah, sounds like me. Luckily my bloods have been low for a long time. But yes, it’s usually the people around who notice the mood change

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I get grumpy with highs and lows. If its pointed out to me I can pretty much snap myself out of a high grumpy mood but low grumpies are much worse because if they are pointed out to me I can get angry and argumentative or tearful.