Type 1'stars R Us

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@becca59 I freeze them too but the fresh ones are just so lovely. To be honest, I'm not sure they affect BG that badly.
@hh1 I don't have grass but love the smell. I was listening to Ramblings on Radio 4 about the Somerset levels, Sweet Track, Green Down and Niland Hill. It sounded brilliant walking country
Thai food is clearly very naughty, hidden sugar and underestimated hugely. BG bad Yummy though.
That’s my area of Somerset and my OH’s uncle used to farm by Nyland Hill. Not heard of Green Down or do you mean Brean Down which juts out into the sea?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I learned a lesson today! I have added a Libre so when I snorkel I can get a reading. My Dexcom is just not cooperative about giving me a reading out in the ocean. The Libre has been working great and the freedom I've enjoyed knowing what my blood sugars are with a scan while in the ocean has been amazing.

But big note to self....................if I am dropping I still have to stop snorkeling and head in. Today I pushed it because there was a group of turtles and I didn't want to leave. I ate some candy and stayed a little longer, got out at around 4.4 but by the time I got to the car I was dropping. Ate lots of candy because I persistently wanted to keep dropping and yuck, it just doesn't taste as good when you have to eat it.

I am glad I can snorkel and I am glad for the technology, but I am feeling it's unfair I can't just stay out as long as I want. One of those days I guess.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That’s my area of Somerset and my OH’s uncle used to farm by Nyland Hill. Not heard of Green Down or do you mean Brean Down which juts out into the sea?

Small world, your OH's uncle may have known my drummer's family..

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Diagnosed in Somerset, back in 1969, and spent some days in the Taunton hospital. We, my mother, sister and me when home from Uni, were living just on the edge of Sedgemoor, in a village called North Curry. That part of the U.K. has a very special feeling; it was a good place to be. My sister’s still in Somerset, near Banwell.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good afternoon, hope you are all keeping well and staying safe, Cooking a roast today, so really looking forward to to it. Making an apple and pear crumble for daughter.

Bg have been good yesterday and today, but awoke with a thumping headache this morning, after some painkillers it gradually went.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, planning to spend the last day of warm weather dog walking and in the garden. Oh, and calling in on a friend up the road who has a glut of pears. My very small tree wasn't too productive this year and is earlier than this, so I'm really happy to help out a neighbour! Pears are almost my favourite fruit; top is probably fat sweet juicy black cherries. Fave fruit day - what's yours?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all, Hope you're in range. I get to wear my 5 badge today which was beginning to get a bit dusty as BG has been erratic.
Favourite fruit? That's a tricky one but probably raspberries, cherries, plums, bananas and rock hard pears in that order but I love all fruit.

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I thought I loved all fruit lol.....................until I was hit with some very weird ones here. We have some off the wall kinds that I am not fond of. Some extremely tart, some bitter and some sort of tasteless. The really tart ones are my least favorite. I have a huge mountain apple which is a cross between a tasteless pear and a tasteless apple. If I'm going to eat fruit I want it to have flavor. We cut it back quite a bit, some branches actually broke from how much fruit it had on it. It was here when we moved in and I would remove it but the birds love it so I guess it stays.

I have gone through the farmers markets and bought some of the strange ones just to try, a few have been really good, a lot I'll pass on trying again. There was one a young gal said they called it a marshmallow fruit, it had no relation to that name at all. It was a long pod with fluffy insides, sort of a sweet flavor. It was okay. Nothing to get excited about though. But the best one was Rambutan, I think I posted pictures of it. A very weird looking fruit, but delicious. You cut it in half and pop out the fruit inside.

Then we tons of varieties of bananas. Ice Cream bananas and strawberry bananas are my favorite. The ice cream bananas are nice and firm and very sweet with lots of flavor but ripen quickly once picked so you only have a few days to eat them. Although they can be half black on the outside and still be firm and almost not ripe on the inside. Almost all of the bananas here are half the size of store bought bananas. Fruit seems to ripen and go south faster here, higher humidity maybe?

Last edited: