Newcastle diet

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, good luck @Lizzyr59 .
Have you read all of the info on Newcastle Diet?
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwncla.../files/201809 Sample Recipes & meal plans.pdf

Also, important:
If you are on medication or have other health concerns, or history of eating disorder, then consult and get support and monitoring of conditions from GP.

Have a follow on plan. No use thinking you can quickly fix diabetes ( not sure if you have diabetes, as no mention in profile) and weight then go back to previous lifestyle diet.

Make sure you include a small amount of oil with some veg, as this can help prevent gallstones from developing.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have professor roy taylor book. Thanks for that booklet, I will print it out.
Still wishing you luck, @Lizzyr59 . I found that after day 2 I felt very well, and hunger wasn’t an issue. Just had to beware of social occasions when well meaning folks would offer food Not sure all meant well, or if they were trying to sabotage. I expect there are fewer social occasions at the moment, but be on your guard. I would suggest just telling people what you are doing on a ‘need to know’ basis.
Keep posting, and let folks know how you are doing.

wobbles

Still wishing you luck, @Lizzyr59 . I found that after day 2 I felt very well, and hunger wasn’t an issue. Just had to beware of social occasions when well meaning folks would offer food Not sure all meant well, or if they were trying to sabotage. I expect there are fewer social occasions at the moment, but be on your guard. I would suggest just telling people what you are doing on a ‘need to know’ basis.
Keep posting, and let folks know how you are doing.

Hi all,

@Pipp

I have also started the Newcastle Diet on Friday and I have also just finished reading the book.

One question that I have so far is whether any adjustment to calories IN should be made due to exercise.

I have just returned home from a leisurely stroll for about 2 hours. As I am 113 kgs that will have expended a few hundred calories. Should I have an extra shake or just stick to 800 calories?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

@Pipp

I have also started the Newcastle Diet on Friday and I have also just finished reading the book.

One question that I have so far is whether any adjustment to calories IN should be made due to exercise.

I have just returned home from a leisurely stroll for about 2 hours. As I am 113 kgs that will have expended a few hundred calories. Should I have an extra shake or just stick to 800 calories?
Hello @wobbles.
I am not setting myself up as the expert in ND, just sharing personal experiences. When I followed the regime, bearing in mind it was in 2011, and only in early stages of development, I did exercise regularly, (swimming and aquafit for at least an hour a day, sometimes 2 x1hour sessions) . I did not increase the amount of shakes / meal replacements.

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp

I've looked at Slim and Save plus the Optifast (on the NCD list of meal replacements)ingredients;they have glucose syrup and fructose.Is that okay? I'm new to this.

Last edited:
Reactions: OrsonKartt

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
One question that I have so far is whether any adjustment to calories IN should be made due to exercise

No, partly way ND works is that it is simple and you have nothing to decide about what you "eat"

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
@Pipp

I've looked at Slim and Save plus the Optifast (on the NCD list of meal replacements)ingredients;they have glucose syrup and fructose.Is that okay? I'm new to this.

Hi., are you just trying to lose weight, or do you want to control your Blood Glucse in order to prevent diabetic complication?

If you just care about weight loss then glucose and fructose in the shakes doesn't matter.
If you prefer to be healthy, rather than just slimmer then yes it does matter because neither of those is good for your blood glucose numbers or the amount of Insulin circulating, or the health of your Liver and pancreas.

You may consider me biased because I considered alternative measures to reduce my Blood Glucose and decided that since I wasn't so much overweight that I would go Low Carb rather than a shakes based very low calorie diet. Despite doing LCHF with no calorie restriction and no additional exercise I still lost weight - around 28lbs at present (from 12stone 2lbs to between 10stone and 10stone 4lbs).

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi., are you just trying to lose weight, or do you want to control your Blood Glucse in order to prevent diabetic complication?

If you just care about weight loss then glucose and fructose in the shakes doesn't matter.
If you prefer to be healthy, rather than just slimmer then yes it does matter because neither of those is good for your blood glucose numbers or the amount of Insulin circulating, or the health of your Liver and pancreas.

You may consider me biased because I considered alternative measures to reduce my Blood Glucose and decided that since I wasn't so much overweight that I would go Low Carb rather than a shakes based very low calorie diet. Despite doing LCHF with no calorie restriction and no additional exercise I still lost weight - around 28lbs at present (from 12stone 2lbs to between 10stone and 10stone 4lbs).

Hi, both ! Just interesting since the ND is recommended for diabetics. I would think they put stevia in the soups and shakes. I am now about 15 pounds overweight; just changed my meds so will have to have a look at how these new ones work.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did a version of the ND about 4 years ago using Slim fast as at the time the access to the shakes was a lot more limited than now, I only managed 6 weeks and the protein cravings were killing me (I was dreaming about roast chicken :chicken:), but my BG's still dropped rapidly (down from over 10 to around 5.5 during the diet) I also lost around 3 stone in weight which is not only still off but have increased to around 5 stone now on a low carb WOE, still got a long way to go, but slowly getting there

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
also lost around 3 stone in weight which is not only still off but have increased to around 5 stone now on a low carb WOE, still got a long way to go, but slowly getting there

Do you feel the shakes give you a benefit compared to doing low carb from the start?

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you feel the shakes give you a benefit compared to doing low carb from the start?
For me the intial weight loss was rapid, but a VLCD isn't sustainable long term and it doesn't help you to learn new eating habits. BUT the shakes remove the need to plan meals and provide all the vitamins/minerals you need for a short term "kick start". I have tried the Michael Mosley 8 week blood sugar diet which works on the same VLCD principle but with "real food" but you need to be very organised and much more disciplined to make sure you keep to it. (Meal prepping for the week, weighing and measure your food etc). a VLCD helps shift some of the visceral fat from your liver which is why it has an (relatively) rapid effect on T2 insulin resistance

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Lượng calori thấp thì tốt hay xấu vậy ta
English translation for the benefit of our other members:
Is low calorie good or bad?

Welcome to the forums @chungduan . This is an English language forum so it would be easier if you posted in English. You can use google translate.

• Agree
Reactions: Pipp