Hyper awareness?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I will be asking a few dumb questions this week due to idle thoughts in the shower.

First one:

We are mostly aware that there is Hypo awareness, that is an awareness of low BG levels which can be dangerous.
Lack of Hypo awareness is generally a bad thing because one could become irrational and even unconscious before being able to take glucose on board to raise BG.
False Hypos are where the body shows the symptoms of a hypo when the BG level is still in a safe zone. Usually because the body has adapted to long term high BG levels and is treating normal BG levels as dangerously low.

However I haven't read that there is the equivalent Hyper awareness; that is, an awareness of a short term peak in BG equivalent to a short term drop in BG which is a Hypo.

Long term symptoms include the classic diagnostic symptoms of thirst, frequent urination, lethargy etc. however it is hard to see these as a diagnostic for a 30 minute period.

Which brings me to ask "Does anyone correctly identify when their BG has just shot up - that is, they have just started a Hyper?"

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
A really obvious sign that my BGs are higher than they should be is not being able to concentrate.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will be asking a few dumb questions this week due to idle thoughts in the shower.

First one:

We are mostly aware that there is Hypo awareness, that is an awareness of low BG levels which can be dangerous.
Lack of Hypo awareness is generally a bad thing because one could become irrational and even unconscious before being able to take glucose on board to raise BG.
False Hypos are where the body shows the symptoms of a hypo when the BG level is still in a safe zone. Usually because the body has adapted to long term high BG levels and is treating normal BG levels as dangerously low.

However I haven't read that there is the equivalent Hyper awareness; that is, an awareness of a short term peak in BG equivalent to a short term drop in BG which is a Hypo.

Long term symptoms include the classic diagnostic symptoms of thirst, frequent urination, lethargy etc. however it is hard to see these as a diagnostic for a 30 minute period.

Which brings me to ask "Does anyone correctly identify when their BG has just shot up - that is, they have just started a Hyper?"

(speaking as a non-insulin user)
I think the clue is most likely in the eating.

In other words, hypers are far less likely if you haven't eaten something to cause them. Not impossible, obviously, due to steroids, insulin use, etc. But far less likely.

So I go through a microsecond thought process of 'ooh, feeling a teensy bit different/weird/zingy/foggy, ah, that would be the (insert high carb food of choice) then.' Doesn't take very long and is both less noticeable, and less immediately dangerous than a hypo.
Though having said that, I have learned to never get behind the wheel or operate machinery if my bg is above 12. I am simply not a safe driver under those circs.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I would describe how I felt after drinking Lucozade (on glucose tolerance test). A dry mouth, twitchy, bordering irritable, blurred eyes, feeling sick, tired, (tummy pain -really high sugars), fruity breath (if ketones are rising).

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

First one:

I didn't have the courage to refuse a dish with carbs in it while on holiday. It looked beautiful, the kitchen did its best, and when we'd sat down I'd been slightly distracted and hadn't made my dietary needs clear. This was on me, my fault entirely for not having my head about me, so I ate it. Well, I left the fries for my husband. But the chicken was drowned in peanut sauce and yeah.... That's got sugar in. It was the only meal that wasn't carnivore, and I felt it. Oooh, did I ever. We skipped a coffee / dessert after because I felt I had to leave, this couldn't wait. So yes, I have hyper awareness, if that is the term we're going for here. My heart'll race out of my chest, legs wobbly, brain panicky, breathing hyperventilating, more often than not, because the racing heart is scary in and of itself. If that happens, I know I'd better go for a walk, and do it fast, or I'll keep on feeling like that for a good while. Wobbly legs be damned. It just so happened I was in an area with a steep uphill climb right around the corner, and that fixed me right quick. I'd left my meter in the cabin, but by the time we got there I was back to a five-something. So, yeah.... Once your blood sugars are in control for a while, you do start feeling the highs as well as the lows. Now I can't imagine what a 22 mmol/l would do to me, while that was a common daily number little over 4 years ago....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would describe how I felt after drinking Lucozade (on glucose tolerance test). A dry mouth, twitchy, bordering irritable, blurred eyes, feeling sick, tired, (tummy pain -really high sugars), fruity breath (if ketones are rising).

Hi,

Possibly like a hangover.. Especially on a fast over treated rebound from a low.

Auto E

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Headache, mushy-brained feeling, and sometimes the racing heart

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Light headed, blurred vision, headache behind the eyes, hunger, anger and my anxiety kicks in.
Since I had my breakdown, my stress, anxiety and depression have lifted my levels higher than it is normally, it is harder to control my bloods, almost zero carb every day, intermittent fasting and my appetite is not so good.
I have had a headache every day, slightly different, and my usual warning signs are not as good as it was, I have not gone hyper, or not high enough to trigger the reaction, but I'm on the borderline most of the time, and the biggest change is my tiredness, lethargy and since taking serataline, I'm sleeping nine hours a night regularly. My energy levels are nowhere near as good as they were, but I think that was expected.
But I am still aware of what is happening to my blood levels.

Stay safe

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Thank you all.
Very interesting indeed.

One thing that prompted the question was that I am using a Libre at the moment, and I had one massive peak to around 16 but wasn't physically aware that anything unusual was happening.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I know if my bs goes above 10 I get impatient and I have heavy legs which seeing as I have a prosthetic should be heavy leg lol , also have a muggy head . Can’t imagine how I use to survive when my blood sugars were 13 constantly,

Stay safe
“ what’s dead may never die”

Carbs4life

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am constantly running at 18-27 atm. I have an appointment at the hospital next week. Change of meds etc. I was always bobbing around 13 but recently with the numbers getting higher I have noticed a dry mouth,sore tongue, red eyes and itchy skin. It’s horrid. I am almost looking forward to experiencing the feelings of going into a “normal range” I also suffer from insomnia, so I don’t really get tired. But blurry eyesight is definitely a problem.