Repeat test next week

LizzyB71

So I had an HBA1C test back on 11 Aug and the result came back at 49 ( just inside the T2 range. However, the doc explained they would not give a formal diagnosis unless two raised results and said I had 6 weeks to turn things around. I have been really good with the diet and immediately adopted LCHF and am loving it. No longer any carb cravings and I haven’t had any potatoes, bread, rice or pasta at all, nor any cakes, biscuits or sweets. As a bonus I have also lost over 1st in weight. I have tried to increase my exercise and now walk the dog further and longer and been out cycling a bit (although I could do better I think).

My doctor wants to do a Fasting Blood Glucose test next week, rather than another HBA1C. I’m not sure why and whether this would make any difference to the overall result? I bought a meter and my Fasting BG started around 6.2 and is more recently around 5.2 to. 5.4 so I am hopeful of a good result. I would be gutted if the result was high still as I have heard that the fasting result if often the last one to come down. Should I ask for a repeat HBAIC instead?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your current fasting numbers are non-diabetic. Just keep in mind your liver might dump a little glucose if you have to get to the appointment on an empty stomach... (In other words... Take the record of the testing you've been doing at home with you!)

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just be careful if he does a fasting test and its ok and drops the diabetes thing that you stay keto or at least keep testing after meals if you relax away from it a bit. The problem is that you may be getting high results after eating that go back to normal over time.

You will have to be very careful from now on not to go back to carbs or stop testing no matter what he says after your test or you could end up with a nasty shock further down the line.

If you were 49 on your previous diet, you will be 49 and increasing if you go back to that diet no matter if your formally diagnosed next week or not.

the same applies to HBA1C though, if you have been Keto, its likely you will have dropped your HBA1C, maybe back to normal. All that means is that you would know its worked, you wouldn't get diagnosed but if 3 months later you go back to your old diet you will shoot right back upto 49 but with no follow ups at the Dr's planned.

What i would do if he does a fasting test and its ok, is request that you get another HBA1C in 3 months or 6 months time and see how you do sticking at Keto.

LizzyB71

Just be careful if he does a fasting test and its ok and drops the diabetes thing that you stay keto or at least keep testing after meals if you relax away from it a bit. The problem is that you may be getting high results after eating that go back to normal over time.

You will have to be very careful from now on not to go back to carbs or stop testing no matter what he says after your test or you could end up with a nasty shock further down the line.

If you were 49 on your previous diet, you will be 49 and increasing if you go back to that diet no matter if your formally diagnosed next week or not.

the same applies to HBA1C though, if you have been Keto, its likely you will have dropped your HBA1C, maybe back to normal. All that means is that you would know its worked, you wouldn't get diagnosed but if 3 months later you go back to your old diet you will shoot right back upto 49 but with no follow ups at the Dr's planned.

What i would do if he does a fasting test and its ok, is request that you get another HBA1C in 3 months or 6 months time and see how you do sticking at Keto.

Thanks for your advice. Fortunately, I have no desire at all to go back to my old way of eating. Having educated myself in recent weeks and checking packaging in the supermarket, I can see where I had been going wrong. I will definitely continue to monitor my BS as I know that even if I escape a formal diagnosis, my body cannot cope with carbs anymore. This is a lifelong change for me and I feel a whole lot better for it.

LizzyB71

Your current fasting numbers are non-diabetic. Just keep in mind your liver might dump a little glucose if you have to get to the appointment on an empty stomach... (In other words... Take the record of the testing you've been doing at home with you!)
Thank you, that’s good advice.