New covid case in school

akfxxx

Our son age 12 with type1 diabettes has returned to school in September. Today we have been informed the first case of covid has been notified to school, we have been told that the person is not in our sons year and has not had contact with our son. As our son goes to a school with over 1200 pupils and travels by bus. We can not find out if the affected pupil has traveled on our sons bus. We are concerned if we should continue to send our son as the school is stating the school is covid safe ! i also have a heart condition and had to shield previously. Are we been to cautious ?

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think you are being too cautious, but I'm fairly sure that if contact tracing has been carried out all parents of pupils at risk would have been contacted and that would include pupils travelling on the same bus. Our daughter works in a big secondary school and I know that they have very good procedures in place. You could of course contact the school and explain your concern, I'm sure they won't mind.

akfxxx

I don't think you are being too cautious, but I'm fairly sure that if contact tracing has been carried out all parents of pupils at risk would have been contacted and that would include pupils travelling on the same bus. Our daughter works in a big secondary school and I know that they have very good procedures in place. You could of course contact the school and explain your concern, I'm sure they won't mind.
Thank You

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
i also have a heart condition and had to shield previously. Are we been to cautious ?

Well, I'm going to say it, your son's risk of death from covid is about the same as his normal risk of dying for the year eg by being run over by a bus. So I wouldn't personally worry about his health if he catches covid. But I would worry about your health if he gives it to you. That is the problem faced by all covid shielders who interact with school age children, and is a very hard balancing act.

https://www.covidodds.com/12-years-old-male-with-diabetes

The calculator above is from the US, but matches some other googling I did on risk factors.....

Lots of virtual hugs, this is a very cruel disease.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
I have had a lot of contact with test and trace recently as my household all have covid. The first person is likely to have contracted it at school. She was sharing a bedroom with the next child who tested positive and so on. It is extremely contagious. We have relatives staying with us whilst divorce ongoing so are overcrowded. Test and Trace have been very thorough. They wanted to know how the children travelled to school. None of us have developed complications, one is pretty much asymptomatic. We are monitoring this day by day. The vast majority of people have a mild illness. Test and Trace want to know where you have been in the 48 hours prior to becoming symptomatic to work out where you may have spread it. Additionally you'll be asked where you've been in the days prior to that in order to work out where you may have picked it up from. It took 12 days between the first and last becoming symptomatic in our home.

I have read about people who need to shield moving out as soon as a member of their family gets symptoms.

I am sure that the bus question would have been asked.
There have been outbreaks in both of my children's schools and both were in 6th forms.

I wish you and your family well.