Possible amputation expected... frustration.

Frustrated24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
T2 diabetic, on insulin with reasonable control.... now.
I have had a diabetic foot ulcer to the base of my Left foot 2 yrs ago which required surgical bebridement and IV antibiotics.
All Healed but since I've had a what can only be described as a bunion looking anomaly of my foot which now causes me lots of pain.
Been seen by Ortho team, and podiatry had numerous MRI scans which have shown possible Osteomyelitis in bone of big toe joint with joint degeneration.

Before covid lockdown I was placed on a urgent list for a bone biopsy, this clearly did not happen.... now I am remaining in lots of pain, and have had to make the decision in my own head to suggest a possible amputation of the big toe.

I am really frustrated... I am left wondering whether if the surgery had gone ahead as planned, and had the osteomyelitis been treated by now properly ... whether I would even be needing to prepare myself for a possible amputation.

Instead It has been left and although I've had over 3months of oral antibiotics, only now is the bone biopsy being mentioned again. My biggest issue is if I don't work, I don't get paid as work on an agency. ... I would rather just get amputation done and heal and get on with it than have to have open bone biopsy and heal, then more treatment and then more surgery and recuperation time.

Sorry, I don't mean to rant, I am just sick of living with the pain and struggling to continue to work, and even walk properly (despite having diagnosed neuropathy) and do what I want to be doing with my life.

Thanks for listening

Reactions: colliecub

LindiePops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
T2 diabetic, on insulin with reasonable control.... now.
I have had a diabetic foot ulcer to the base of my Left foot 2 yrs ago which required surgical bebridement and IV antibiotics.
All Healed but since I've had a what can only be described as a bunion looking anomaly of my foot which now causes me lots of pain.
Been seen by Ortho team, and podiatry had numerous MRI scans which have shown possible Osteomyelitis in bone of big toe joint with joint degeneration.

Before covid lockdown I was placed on a urgent list for a bone biopsy, this clearly did not happen.... now I am remaining in lots of pain, and have had to make the decision in my own head to suggest a possible amputation of the big toe.

I am really frustrated... I am left wondering whether if the surgery had gone ahead as planned, and had the osteomyelitis been treated by now properly ... whether I would even be needing to prepare myself for a possible amputation.

Instead It has been left and although I've had over 3months of oral antibiotics, only now is the bone biopsy being mentioned again. My biggest issue is if I don't work, I don't get paid as work on an agency. ... I would rather just get amputation done and heal and get on with it than have to have open bone biopsy and heal, then more treatment and then more surgery and recuperation time.

Sorry, I don't mean to rant, I am just sick of living with the pain and struggling to continue to work, and even walk properly (despite having diagnosed neuropathy) and do what I want to be doing with my life.

Thanks for listening
So sorry to read all the issues you are having. No wonder you are frustrated. My concern for you is that if your big toe was amputated, this may affect your balance. Does your job involve being on your feet alot? I also have Neuropathy too and know just how painful it can be, especially my feet

Frustrated24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So sorry to read all the issues you are having. No wonder you are frustrated. My concern for you is that if your big toe was amputated, this may affect your balance. Does your job involve being on your feet alot? I also have Neuropathy too and know just how painful it can be, especially my feet
Hi

I am on my feet some of the time, but I also enjoy being out walking with my doggy which helps keep me reasonably fit and my bs readings where they need to be.
I am hoping that an amputation will go some way to allowing me to get on with my life, instead of being tired and in constant pain.
However since writing I've now developed an open wound over the joint. Currently feeling yuk on AB's .

Reactions: LindiePops

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh heck @Frustrated24

So sorry that you are in this situation. It looks like a thoroughly miserable perfect storm.
What is the situation in terms of appointments and actually being able to talk to the person who will make the decision about an op?

Frustrated24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh heck @Frustrated24

So sorry that you are in this situation. It looks like a thoroughly miserable perfect storm.
What is the situation in terms of appointments and actually being able to talk to the person who will make the decision about an op?
Have been given an appt now for next week.

Only because I feel unwell with a open wound.

Frustrated24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wondering how you're doing @Frustrated24? Hope you are feeling a bit better
Hi
Currently awaiting pain clinic review and also seeing ortho consultant again in 2 weeks.

Wound has settled down, pain is not perfect but better. The GP commenced me on a Butrans patch which has certainly taken the edge of during the day but not at night when I'm trying to sleep!.

Just playing the waiting game again... just want surgery co.pleted to allow me ti.e to fetch on now. Still bot sure whether it will be amputation or attempted fusion first.

Reactions: LindiePops

LindiePops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
Currently awaiting pain clinic review and also seeing ortho consultant again in 2 weeks.

Wound has settled down, pain is not perfect but better. The GP commenced me on a Butrans patch which has certainly taken the edge of during the day but not at night when I'm trying to sleep!.

Just playing the waiting game again... just want surgery co.pleted to allow me ti.e to fetch on now. Still bot sure whether it will be amputation or attempted fusion first.
Glad to see that there is some positive news in your reply. Hang in there, you're doing everything you can. Keep us posted

GoodClaret

So sorry to hear that you have been in so much pain. A lady that I used to work with had to have this done, she was back on her feet again quicker than she expected. Whilst your job is through an agency is there any way that you could work from home?
I know that here there is something in employment law that states if your employees circumstances change that employers have to adjust either hours, duties or even role to support you.
Please let us know how you get on and sending you big hugs xx

Reactions: oldgreymare