How can I get my fasting blood sugar levels to come down?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi again @SQ71 - I don't know what your physical state is like? But when it comes to concern about your heart health - such a biggie for us with diabetes for sure - nothing beats physical fitness, and keeping up physical activity. We are talking muscles and strength. Keeping those blasted fat cells as small as you can and uninflamed, and fat out of your organs as much as possible. Gut health is a biggie too. As all of us? know in here - those are no small things. No indeedy.

I see keeping a track of my blood pressure is as important as tracking my blood glucose, for the purpose of avoiding cardio vascular disease by having the right level of physical activity and exercise for me. Please know - this can loom large in my life as difficult, and by no means do I always get it right! But I am extremely grateful for the fact that the more you use your muscles, the more you move, the easier it gets. Mother Nature is kind to wee mammals in this way!

My understanding is doctors don't mention these things and get the prescription pad out instead, unless it's a green prescription (and even though I have lived in two countries that have 'green prescriptions' I don't know anyone who has had one!) and I know plenty of folks on statins and other CVD medications. Don't we all?

Our medical system(s!), how the medical system sees what motivates people (and their experiences of it in their offices?) and the fact they only have 15 minutes with you, is that prescribing pills that deal with symptoms and not the cause when it comes to all these metabolic and cardiovascular diseases, is the default. That doesn't mean it is going to save you from a CVD. GPs are not nutritonal experts, and nor are they 'go to' people for talking with you about what to do about physical activity. And those are the biggies when it comes to heart health - not taking statins, is my understanding.

I say to you what I say to my friends and family who are faced with this question - please go online and research this issue for yourself, and make an informed decision. Because it is absolutely a big decision, and is about the health of your heart and arteries - and I would say - your brain! (Yes I am talking that horrible bogey disease - dementia.)

Reactions: SQ71

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah I suspect this is the problem. Switched to taking it with my first meal of the day instead of bedtime and my fasting BS levels are still high and its making it harder to keep BS within range during the day even on very low carb. Would like to toss it in the bin, but concerned about what Doc would say.
So don't tell them - your body your choice, just because they're on your prescription doesn't mean you have to fill it, and no one is standing over you forcing them down your throat. After much research and much thought I decided to stop taking them (much to my Dad's disgust) I'm female, mid 40's all of my other CVD risk factors are low, and after 3 different statins causing muscle pain in my calves I didn't want to live the next 40 + years in that type of chronic pain (which can also increase BG levels). This is just my personal opinion and not medical advice

Reactions: AloeSvea and SQ71