Early/viability scan

marie85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone, very long time since I posted! Wondering if anyone can shed any light /share their experience. 2nd pregnancy, I’m 6w+4 and had abdominal ultrasound today which showed gestational sac but no yolk sac or foetal pole. Sonographer convinced I’ve my dates wrong as gestational sac measuring 5weeks but I’m 100% on them. Anyone have similar and what were the outcomes? Thanks x

Ica291

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone, very long time since I posted! Wondering if anyone can shed any light /share their experience. 2nd pregnancy, I’m 6w+4 and had abdominal ultrasound today which showed gestational sac but no yolk sac or foetal pole. Sonographer convinced I’ve my dates wrong as gestational sac measuring 5weeks but I’m 100% on them. Anyone have similar and what were the outcomes? Thanks x
I haven't had this happen to me, but know of others who have and if you were dating from your last period, it can be difficult to know exactly when you ovulated and when the egg was fertilised and embedded, so sometimes the pregnancy is earlier on than you think, or than the dates show. They use the later scan (12 weeks) to accurately date your due date, so the sonographer is giving an estimate from the size of the foetus etc.

Either way, congratulations!!! Wishing you a happy, healthy pregnancy and birth!

Ica291

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry to add on, but for my second pregnancy the opposite happened, I was a week further into my pregnancy than my period dates showed!

marie85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I haven't had this happen to me, but know of others who have and if you were dating from your last period, it can be difficult to know exactly when you ovulated and when the egg was fertilised and embedded, so sometimes the pregnancy is earlier on than you think, or than the dates show. They use the later scan (12 weeks) to accurately date your due date, so the sonographer is giving an estimate from the size of the foetus etc.

Either way, congratulations!!! Wishing you a happy, healthy pregnancy and birth!

Thanks very much for your reply! I’m pretty sure of my dates re ovulation and conception but I know it’s not an exact science unfortunately!! Guess I’ll have to wait it out ... Thanks again for reply