What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was in my teens I had 10 shillings a week pocket money. That had to cover tights (which always laddered rapidly somehow), small expenses(pencils, rubbers and so on) and I always went in to a sweet shop on the way home from school on the day after pocket money day to buy a Toblerone bar (1/6d), which I took home to share with Mum. Whatever else I had to pay out, the weekly Toblerone was essential. Mum was pretty skinny in her younger days but she filled out rather a lot after rationing ended! In time I developed a craving for Clarnico peppermint creams, until I sickened myself with them (around 1960. Still can't cope with mint, all these years later. Always enjoyed sweets, cakes, biscuits etc but stopped myself around 1970 when I made myself ill trying to lose weight. Too late - the damage was done.
Same here. I remember my aunt saying that when my mother was a girl people used to say that she was 'like a yard o' tap watter' (has to be said in a Yorkshire accent :)). She certainly wasn't like that by the time I came on the scene!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb - I hope everything goes well tomorrow. Will be thinking of you x

Thank you @maglil55.

I'm still up at 12.20 am so that I can have a last drink of water 6 hours before my procedure - supposedly at 7.30 but I doubt it. Trying to remember what I need to take with me, but struggling to find the things I want. Finally just dumped all the little bits and pieces into a toilet bag, but my book won't fit in. The main thing I seem to have lost is my purse - I need to give Neil money for the shopping he's going to do after dropping me off at the hospital.

BG right now is 18. I have no idea why. I don't think it's stress. I don't tend to get stressed and I'm not worried about tomorrow. In fact, Neil is, apparently, the most laid-back person doctors and teachers have ever met, and I'm not far behind him (also apparently). Found my purse - in full view on the work surface.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@ziggy_w that's funny! I have seen portabellos as The Burger, until here! It makes a great vegetarian/vegan burger substitute, very umami! The giant ones I would marinate, grill, and eat by themselves. We also have "baby bellas" which are good any old mushroom way, but expensive enough that you don't want to have them disappear in a recipe. Those I eat raw as salad/veg. Nice rolls/buns!!
@Goonergal oooo Col Mustard Did It With The Candlestick In The Conservatory! That's way too classy for this porch I think of a conservatory as a glass-walled room filled with plants! (Not a sliding door porch filled with furniture) Sometimes they are called Florida rooms, but for no reason I don't like that. I will slow-cook the chops in something, and see what I get.
@MrsA2 another slow cook vote!
@shelley262 well done on the numbers! Hugs for the caring issues.
Re this allowance/pocket money-- we had a small allowance until we were making more money than the allowance was. One evening babysitting would cover that! And then when we moved from rural WV, where jobs of any kind were few and far between, to a town in Vermont which had great jobs for high school kids, we were required to have a weekend and summer job. My parents were children of the Depression.
@SlimLizzy I HATE finishing woodwork, and every inch in this new-to-us house is painted a wrong color. Grrr.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Same here. I remember my aunt saying that when my mother was a girl people used to say that she was 'like a yard o' tap watter' (has to be said in a Yorkshire accent :)). She certainly wasn't like that by the time I came on the scene!

My mother was so skinny as a child and teen that she always wore long sleeves. She had a 19" waist when she married at 20!
Good night and good morning all!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All
First good luck to @Annb today, hope all goes well.
Thanks to EVERYONE for the good wishes for my A1c, should find out online Friday. Congrats to @shelley262 for the great result, an inspiration to us all.
Today the cupboard and fridge is bare, my fortnightly Sainsburys C&C is tomorrow. Breakfast was slice of HiLo toast, butter, lots tea.
Lunch will be remainder of Waldorf salad and chunk of cheese, enjoyed that yesterday. Supper will be defrosted meat pie for Mr PM and celeriac chips and two runny egs for me. If my BG behaves all day I might add a spoon of reduced sugar baked beans.

Tomorrow will be usual brekkie. Lunch will be egg mayo and tomatoes, cucumber and radishes, end of my salad crops though more lettuce and radishes to come.
Supper will be Fishfingers Firsday (chunky cod ones from my order) and broccoli.

I am going to an outside cafe soon to meet a friend for coffee who I havent seen other than Zoom since March. Hope it will be safe, my plan is to get there esrly and bag a table for 4 so we can be further apart, especially as she is a teacher.

As far as I can tell the new rules wont change anything I have been doing since 6 March. We dont eat out or go to pubs. It was 5 months before we were brave enough to have a takeaway and then on condition they accepted payment when ordering on the phone and we phone them when we arrive to pick up and they give it to us in the street. I know we are very lucky to be able to isolate and have big outside space but my God I miss seeing my son and whilst I am resigned to Christmas not happening I worry he will be on his own aged 29 and he is and always has been Mr Christmas!

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday had a visitor I thought would be open to low carb so pushed boat out
Mid afternoon : low carb coffee cake, home made
Dinner: hummus with crudités, then 2 flavours of roast chicken pieces, one lemon and olive oil, the other jerk style, with salads. Dessert homemade low carb cheesecake with raspberries, made and served in little pots. Red wine was drunk.

Felt sooo good to be entertaining again, and to say 'yes its all low carb"

Today, leftover cheesecake for breakfast, cheese for lunch, chicken and tomatoes for dinner
What a glorious thought - cheesecake for breakfast!

Reactions: Mauriac

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No, cooked cucumber doesn't actually taste very different but the texture is softer, without being watery. I quite like it and I keep intending to try it with some spices on the cut surfaces, but I keep forgetting. It might also be improved by a squeeze of citrus juice of some kind, or herbs on the cut surfaces. I enjoy it just with a little salt though.
A dish I like goes back to our honeymoon in Poland (it's a bit of a story). Anyway, it was a side dish of thinly sliced cucumber in sour cream with lemon juice and a sprinkle of sugar. Simple but very nice. It wasn't drowning in the cream and you had to keep tasting to get the balance right. It would still work but subbing some Monk Fruit for the sugar.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday bed 6.9 FBG 6.6 On a bit of a mini catch up at the moment. @annabell1 - yes, it was a good taste your chicken dish put in me. Almost lemon meringue but not as sweet! @zauberflote -glad to see Doc appt went OK. @shelley262 our gym & pool still isn't open and there is no way it will happen anytime soon.
Monday
B. TAG - ran out of skinny breadvso had 2 Dairylea triangles.
L. Slice of ox tongue.
D. Got mini rissoles at the butchers. Minced pork & chicken, cheese in the middle and the coating was mexican spices. Oven cooked and had with avocado, lettuce, tomato & cheese.
2 squares of Godiva.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Annb - thinking about you and hoping it all goes (or went) well xx

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
A dish I like goes back to our honeymoon in Poland (it's a bit of a story). Anyway, it was a side dish of thinly sliced cucumber in sour cream with lemon juice and a sprinkle of sugar. Simple but very nice. It wasn't drowning in the cream and you had to keep tasting to get the balance right. It would still work but subbing some Monk Fruit for the sugar.

My Mum always used to reminisce about her favourite wartime 'treat' - thin sliced cucumber salted to remove some moisture then marinated in malt vinegar which she would use in sandwiches with that weird bread they had then. I tried replicating it and it was absolutely vile. It might have been better with slightly thicker cucumber slices and a less vicious vinegar. The other thing she liked was spring onion sandwiches.

I was born in 1955 so missed actual rationing but I do remember the over abundance of not particularly healthy foods that were available in the early '60s. The actual meals were large but okay but, looking back, there was far too much fruit, sweets, cake and biscuits - we had a cookie jar in the kitchen that was never empty. My Dad was a chef and loved using the ever increasingly available foods but still had the wartime mentality that everything on the plate must be eaten. To this day I find it hard to leave food on my plate.

Breakfast: boiled eggs and buttered Burgen soldiers

Dinner: salmon baked with garlic and lemon with broccoli and cherry tomatoes cooked in olive oil and Aldi black bean spaghetti stirred in to the veg mix before serving.

Edited to clarify

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tuesday bed 6.9 FBG 6.3. @MrsA2 - I can't help thinking a Big Daddy steak should be called a Shirley. (For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, there was a wrestler in my youth called Big Daddy whose real name was Shirley Crabtree.)@zauberflote - I have visions of all Scottish granny's being wrapped up outside particularly after the ridiculous decision to apply a semi lockdown to the entire country because she hasn't got the nerve to lock Glasgow down. Taking the islands as an example, why should they be subject to restrictions when the cases are zero or negligible? Rant over. @PenguinMum fingers crossed for your results. @DJC3 - Hope your stresses ease.
Tuesday
B. TAG and another Dailylea triangle.
L. After my various trips delivering DIL to clinic, supermarket etc I had 2 GF sausages and a fried egg.
D. Pork escalope, 2 baby beets and veggie chips. Raspberries and a scoop of Grahams Goodness raspberry ripple.

Great excitement today. Eldest's birthday today and he's now got it into his head that being 10 means he shouldn't be so nervous so went in happy as Larry. Even more excitement when youngest emerged after school. After almost 1 week with no sign of "that child" he was a bit down in the dumps going to school because he knew he would certainly be back. He told me the best present he could be given would be for "that child" to never be there again. He came out absolutely joyous, elbow bumps all round. Firstly because a child set off the fire alarms and the firemen came but mostly because that child has been moved to a different class not even on the same floor. He's convinced his wish for the best present ever has been granted! I suspect "that child" biting the teacher was the final straw.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all,

@PenguinMum -- Keeping my fingers crossed for good results on your HbA1c. When will you find out?
@Annb -- Thinking of you tomorrow. Hope all goes well.
@DJC3 -- Hugs for the stressful times, hope things are calming down.
@zauberflote -- Portabello mushrooms make for a good hamburger bun, remember them from my time in the States back then, but they have only recently become available in Germany. What do you do with them?

Today ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and smoked salmon. A serving of guacamole and a serving of baba ghanoush. About 15g of 88% chocolate.

Dinner: Three small lamb chops with cauli mash (prepared with butter and potato fiber). Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and beef salami. Lamb's lettuce with Caesar's dressing and parmesan. Dry red wine.

Decided to take a picture of the DD keto rolls (adapted the recipe a bit from dietdoctor.com). I figure they have about 1g of carbs per half roll.

View attachment 44196
I have never managed to get these DD rolls right. Biggest problem was them coming out pretty much hollow. Paul Holywood would not have been impressed (Great British Bake Off).

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have never managed to get these DD rolls right. Biggest problem was them coming out pretty much hollow. Paul Holywood would not have been impressed (Great British Bake Off).

Same here - looked lovely until cut open. :shifty:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 16.2. Off to the hospital at 10 to 7. Neil dropped me off but didn't go shopping - he usually goes on Thursday and thought there was no point today.

Given an enema - about half a pint of some liquid or other, which promptly disappeared never to return again - well, not fairly rapidly as they had hoped. They kept on popping in to ask "anything yet?" "nope". Eventually the locum surgeon (lovely man - a returned retiree I would think) came in to ask the same question. Negative answer. So he took the second person off the list to give me time and then came back - still nothing. He wondered why, with my history, he had only been asked to do a sigmoidoscopy, not a colonoscopy. Should I know (shrugging shoulders).

I thought they were just going to send me home, but a few minutes later he came back and said he would try. It was quite successful. Nothing to see in my stomach but 2 polyps in my colon removed and sent for biopsy. "Don't think you're getting away with it," Says jocular surgeon, "We'll give you a short break to get your breath back and then have you back in for the colonoscopy you should have had today. Finding the polyps makes that a certainty." That means Picolax. What must be, must be.

Had my egg salad after I woke up - didn't sleep during the procedure as I have done before, but had a really sound (drugged) sleep once back in my room. BG before eating 15.7.

Anyway - I'm home - just made it in the door when the enema finally worked - 3 hours late. Current BG 10.8.

Now what am I going to have to eat later (I'm actually already hungry)? Probably bacon and egg, no already had eggs. So probably bacon and chaffle.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Trying to catch up with posts
@zauberflote quote "haha ok Mr Slim actually wants that cat doesn't he! Purrr-rrrrr-rrr."
Think wants is putting it too strongly. MrSlim obviously likes the cat, but the difficulties and considerable expense of providing for Cat over the winter when we are likely to be in the UK are a major stumbling block.
@Chook we/I tried out couple of different names, none seemed to quite suit, and in spite of persisting with one of them, for about two months the animal never responded to it. Just as well really because it was a feminine name and Cat turned out to be male.
It's also partly because we may not be able to keep him. * dashes off to sob into pillow.
@Annb hope all goes well tomorrow.
@Antje77 how is Maurice getting on now?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb
Glad it was only two polyps! And ever so sorry about the Picolax. Never had it myself, but I know its reputation...

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My Mum always used to reminisce about her favourite wartime 'treat' - thin sliced cucumber salted to remove some moisture then marinated in malt vinegar which she would use in sandwiches with that weird bread they had then. I tried replicating it and it was absolutely vile. It might have been better with slightly thicker cucumber slices and a less vicious vinegar. The other thing she liked was spring onion sandwiches.

I was born in 1955 so missed actual rationing but I do remember the over abundance of not particularly healthy foods that were available in the early '60s. The actual meals were large but okay but, looking back, there was far too much fruit, sweets, cake and biscuits - we had a cookie jar in the kitchen that was never empty. My Dad was a chef and loved using the ever increasingly available foods but still had the wartime mentality that everything on the plate must be eaten. To this day I find it hard to leave food on my plate.

Breakfast: boiled eggs and buttered Burgen soldiers

Dinner: salmon baked with garlic and lemon with broccoli and cherry tomatoes cooked in olive oil and Aldi black bean spaghetti stirred in to the veg mix before serving.

Edited to clarify
That nearly made me laugh out loud. I look back very fondly on my mother's cooking as she always made delicious meals. In retrospect though, she did rather overcook some things. Vegetables were pressure cooked for 20 minutes and liver cooked in the oven for half an hour, for example. We didn't think this was a problem at the time though and it was only much later that I discovered that some foods are better lightly cooked.

In those days (the 60s and 70s ) the only vinegar available, at least where we were, was malt. We could never have imagined the plethora of different types and flavours that are available now. I really like balsamic vinegar and although it is very high in carbs you only use a little so it doesn't matter. I use it on its own without oil and it's fine.

Yesterday:

B: Mug of coffee with 150 ml of almond milk, tsp of Splenda and 10 ml of double cream and a boiled egg.
L: Bio drink, ham, a tomato and 50g of lentils. A pear.
Afternoon snack: 1 Ryvita crackerbread with 33g of manchego and a coffee with almond milk and 20ml of double cream.
Supper: 47g of macademia nuts and 3(!) glasses of wine. Burger with half a small avocado, 30g of St Augur and 3 leaves of red chicory (not much flavour but looks very pretty) drizzled with balsamic vinegar. 50g of stewed blackberries with 10ml of double cream.

The Ryvita crackerbreads are new to me. They are very different from the original Ryvita and I like them (which is good as there are quite a lot in the box!). They are about twice the size of the Nairn's oatcakes I normally eat with cheese but slight lower in carbs and half the calories. Definitely a winner.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Your Mum's pickled cucumber sound very much like the pickled gherkins that we used to be able to get in the chippy. I only ever had one, though my friends loved them. Far too vinegary. I preferred my chips just as they were - no salt, no vinegar and definitely no gherkin.

Biscuits - now that brings back a memory of going to a grocer's shop (was it Home and Colonial, or is that a different organisation. I'm sure it was Home and something) in the late 50's where they had boxes of biscuits with clear tops in front of the counter and you could buy half a pound of them, weighed out into a paper bag. Mum always bought half a pound of broken biscuits - that was a mixture of whatever had broken in the other boxes, so you never knew what you were getting. She also used to buy half a pound of mixed butter and margarine and the grocer mixed it from the big chunks of butter and margarine on the slab, using wooden butter pats. Around that time, we also stood in a huge queue to buy one banana, which she shared between my brother and myself. Ah yes, changed days.