How long have you been Type 2?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Following on from 'How old were you at Diagnosis?', I thought that this might be interesting to have a go at. Particularly as I seem to remember a recent newbie who thought it meant almost instant death, and there's all these articles about reduced life expectancy. It might be useful to have some figures - a random sample, and statistically meaningless, of course! :wink:

I know of some very long-term Type 1s, including my friend who's been Type 1 for 50 years and is in her early 90s. Any Type 2s out there in the same league?

I don't count - 1 year only; no complications.

Viv :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I was diagnosed 2 years ago. No complications either :)
Could have had it for much longer though as I hadn't had a blood test done for
at least 10 years :oops:

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
18 months for me , but like Daisy , I think I had diabetes for a while before as I had a borderline test two years prior to diagnosis .

anniep

My mother's brother was diagnosed in hi mid50's and he is not approaching 80 so I guess he must have been T2 for about 25 years. No sign of any complications he is a fit and active wirey build man. Not a stereo-typical T2 whatosever.

Eiche

Dislikes
Not being able to satisfy my craving for chocolate LOL
My consultant said I've been diabetic for at least 8 years BEFORE diagnosis.... :shock: I was diagnosed in May/June of last year.

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
i was diagnosed Jan 10th 2011
however i had been having blackouts for the last 6 years .This tells me i have been diabetic type 2 for 6 years .Looking back i have also had really bad feet as long as that also.
JF :D

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
I was diagnosed type 2 in November 2004 but now that I am aware of the symptoms, I know that it had been going on for at least 10 years previously.

So far, so good, am on 2mg SR metformin a day and have cut out all carbs apart from what it is in the leafy greens, salads etc.

Last three hba1c have been under 7.5 so doc is pleased, I'm aiming for the 6's.

gollymax

Dislikes
frogs, snakes, snails, football, rugby, diabetes and all the problems that go with it
Re: How long have you been Type1/2

Hi All
I have had diabetes for nearly 50 years, it will be 50 years in March 2012.
It would be nice to hear from the long term and also the short term one,s who have diabetes
I got diabetes when I was 6 years old and it was a bit confusing to me in those days, :? but it has got a bit easier to live with. :)
No more weeing in a bottle and putting 10 drops of water and 5 drops of urine in a test tube, then putting a clinitest tablet in the test tube to see what colour it went.
No more glass syringes, boiling them in hot water after a few days of use.
If you go to www.palingswickhouse.co.uk you can see the diabetic hostel I lived in, please look for Kevin Baum.

:wave:

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
I'm a wee bairn in terms of diagnosis, Glucose Intolerant in Dec 2010 and no advice, officially Diabetic in Mar 2011.

Wow Viv from all the amazing advice you've given I thought you were much longer diagnosed!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Nice of you to say so, Sanober - I've just done a lot of research since diagnosis! Also I have friends of both Types, so I've picked up quite a bit from them.

As far as low-carb goes - I've used that before, for weight loss, and I've done a lot of research on that too. When I first started on it I was desperate - nothing else worked, so, even though I thought it might kill me, I had to give it a go. It suited me, and I just wish I'd managed to stick to it instead of lapsing back into my old ways. :oops:

Never mind, onwards and downwards (BGs and weight :lol: ).

I can't count up how much the good advice from this forum and its members have helped me too!

Viv 8)

Helenababe

Well, as in my signature - 5 years. Perhaps it would be a good idea to either put it in signatures, or under avatars?

Helena :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi all.
Was diagnosed dec 2009 so am coming up 2 years now...
In one sense am glad it happened as its awakened me up and made me sort myself out.[my body is a temple now!] :lol:
Helena. Good point there with pop it under the signatures if persons wish to. Yours looks nice.
Anna.x :D

the east man

Dislikes
having to think about everything I eat
As my signature says T2 since Feb 2010, determined to stay of drugs for as long as possibe, only complications so far has been protein in my urine, but my GFR is 60, so although not perfect my kidneys are more or less working as normal

Arthurk

Was diagnosed T2 in 2001. Still on Metformin and Gliclazide. My H1 (etc) has usually been in the 5s. My fasting BS was 24 when I was diagnosed so had been diabetic for a while!! My eye-sight suddenly went bad on me about the same time as diagnosis but once I got BS under control my sight got a lot better. Not as good as before but it was only marginally worse. Eyes haven't changed since which can only be good. Had many severe bouts of pancreatitis which had effected my liver but that too now returns normal readings.
It is NOT a death sentence and you can lead a relatively normal life as long as you are careful about what you eat. You don't even have to be obsessional about it - just careful.