What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb I'm pleased you've now got it over and done with. I've had it done in the past, and a Barium enema as well, which also requires Picolax before hand, so I know what's it like. Enjoy your bacon and chaffle (I must look up what that is.)

Edit: I have now seen what chaffles are - they look good.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Your Mum's pickled cucumber sound very much like the pickled gherkins that we used to be able to get in the chippy. I only ever had one, though my friends loved them. Far too vinegary. I preferred my chips just as they were - no salt, no vinegar and definitely no gherkin.

Biscuits - now that brings back a memory of going to a grocer's shop (was it Home and Colonial, or is that a different organisation. I'm sure it was Home and something) in the late 50's where they had boxes of biscuits with clear tops in front of the counter and you could buy half a pound of them, weighed out into a paper bag. Mum always bought half a pound of broken biscuits - that was a mixture of whatever had broken in the other boxes, so you never knew what you were getting. She also used to buy half a pound of mixed butter and margarine and the grocer mixed it from the big chunks of butter and margarine on the slab, using wooden butter pats. Around that time, we also stood in a huge queue to buy one banana, which she shared between my brother and myself. Ah yes, changed days.

Back in the day British Home Stores (which eventually changed its name to BHS before closing forever) used to sell biscuits sold by weight and of course the broken biscuits - and they also sold bread by weight (weird to think of that now) and bacon, ham and cheese by weight. They also sold eggs individually. I think with the cheese you got a choice of mature or mild cheddar. The bacon was a bit stranger - unsmoked in those days was called 'green' so Mum used to buy 'lean green streaky'.

I'm so glad you got home before the enema did its thing. So sorry you've got to go through the Picolax. Awful stuff!

@Mauriac - my Mum couldn't cook to save her life. She had never cooked before she met my Father and after that he did all the complicated stuff. Our family is convinced that Ria out of the 70s show 'Butterflies ' was based on Mum. She could burn water. When she married my stepfather (in her 50s) he paid for her to attend private cookery lessons - the woman doing the tutoring gave hum a refund after three weeks. Technology finally caught up with her and she came in to her own with microwave ovens and M&S chilled ready meals.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 how is Maurice getting on now?
@Chook we/I tried out couple of different names, none seemed to quite suit, and in spite of persisting with one of them, for about two months the animal never responded to it. Just as well really because it was a feminine name and Cat turned out to be male.
You made me laugh out loud! 'Maurice' 's name is Maartje. But Maartje is definitely a feminine name in the Netherlands, which is a bit weird for a male cat like him (it always completely confuses everyone at the vets office, especially that time he was in to be neutered :hilarious:), so perhaps Maurice would suit him better! I'll try it out :)

He's doing very well.
The swelling has gone down and the pain clearly has lessened a lot as well :). This is obviously a good thing, although I wished he would use the broken leg a bit less to improve the chances of the bone healing. Still, I'm feeling optimistic he'll be able to use the leg pretty well when it's healed, crooked or not.

I'm sitting with him for a while every morning with my morning coffee, for cuddles and yummy food with painkillers, which he clearly appreciates. I try to repeat this in the afternoon or evening but I don't manage every day, so all in all his life is very boring at the moment. Which is good for the leg, but not so much for the cat.

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Back in the day British Home Stores (which eventually changed its name to BHS before closing forever) used to sell biscuits sold by weight and of course the broken biscuits - and they also sold bread by weight (weird to think of that now) and bacon, ham and cheese by weight. They also sold eggs individually. I think with the cheese you got a choice of mature or mild cheddar. The bacon was a bit stranger - unsmoked in those days was called 'green' so Mum used to buy 'lean green streaky'.

I'm so glad you got home before the enema did its thing. So sorry you've got to go through the Picolax. Awful stuff!

@Mauriac - my Mum couldn't cook to save her life. She had never cooked before she met my Father and after that he did all the complicated stuff. Our family is convinced that Ria out of the 70s show 'Butterflies ' was based on Mum. She could burn water. When she married my stepfather (in her 50s) he paid for her to attend private cookery lessons - the woman doing the tutoring gave hum a refund after three weeks. Technology finally caught up with her and she came in to her own with microwave ovens and M&S chilled ready meals.
I don't recall BHS selling food. My mother bought cheese at a shop that had several branches but they were only a local business. They also sold cheshire and wensleydale cheeses. I remember in M&S they didn't sell pre-packed fruit, you went to a counter and were served by someone. A neighbour of my aunt's worked on the counter for a while so we always liked to go in and say hello as she was a very nice person - always very jolly. I recall biscuits being sold loose at our local grocer's. It was what we would call a mini-market today. How different shopping was then - a and nicer I think, visiting several small shops where you knew the staff rather than going to huge supermarkets (although I avoid them as much as I can).

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I don't recall BHS selling food. My mother bought cheese at a shop that had several branches but they were only a local business. They also sold cheshire and wensleydale cheeses. I remember in M&S they didn't sell pre-packed fruit, you went to a counter and were served by someone. A neighbour of my aunt's worked on the counter for a while so we always liked to go in and say hello as she was a very nice person - always very jolly. I recall biscuits being sold loose at our local grocer's. It was what we would call a mini-market today. How different shopping was then - a and nicer I think, visiting several small shops where you knew the staff rather than going to huge supermarkets (although I avoid them as much as I can).

They didn't by the time they changed the name to BHS - the two stores i remember sold the food upstairs.

LOL I avoid supermarkets as much as possible by having home delivery but we do go to a butcher for Mr C's meat. My village has, over the years, lost virtually all its lovely little shops all we have left is a butcher (astronomically expensive) and a bakers which runs out of bread every day by lunchtime.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
@Annb good luck with your procedure hope all goes well

Woke up at 9.30 hoping to do a few things around the home but was very tired and feeling cold so went back to bed and slept in to 11.30am.

BSL 6.6 mmol/m

Brunch burrata cheese that had to be eaten today with some tomatoes cos lettuce balsamic vinegar and evoo with sourdough baguette and lashings of butter. Washed down with a black coffee.

4 hours later tested my BSL it was still 6.6 mmol/m which I thought was interesting. Then Went up the road to buy a new coffee grinder as my coffee grinder after 8 years of use died on me but couldn't believe how expensive they were so decided to not buy for now and use my food grinder for now to grind my coffee. Then popped into woolies to buy a few things felt like my bsl was dropping. It was about 5 and 1/2 hours since eating But didn't check my BSL until I got home which was 3.9 mmol/m. I think I should have checked before that as I think the drop in my BSL made me overly hungry and craving for sweets... and buy some bullets and red frogs. So I got home i rushed making some things to eat as felt like I needed to eat so quickly made for Dinner a baguette with butter cheese and tomato and then over indulged in some dark chocolate bullets and red frogs and chips it was like I had to eat them to feel better. I'm a Bit upsets with myself about this.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya all fascinating stories re the past, food stores etc. @Annb I’m relieved for you that your procedure went ok and you got back home before enema eventually acted! crossing fingers that your polyp samples are fine and your forthcoming colonoscopy goes ok, yup I’ve had them too and the prep is def the worse - you feel like you’ve been scoured out inside after taking that nasty clear out mixture! Tastes revolting too still important to check it out and let’s hope nothing is found.
@SlimLizzy good to hear from you sounds like will be sad for you when you come back to UK and have to find new caretakers for the cat.
@Antje77 maurice is a good cat name hope he answers to it!
Breakfast swimming session - I was a bit nervous as noticed from online booking system it was full as they have a max no but in fact a family of five were in the separate baby pool but had to be counted so not as busy in main pool as expected so great swim much enjoyed and I’m booked again for the morning.
Lunch scrambled eggs on half a toasted chaffle
Mid pm DGF half a millionaires shortbread
Dinner pesto chicken with salads and glass of dry white wine mixed with soda water followed by DGF gingerbread and a few berries with cream.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Lunch: Babybels followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Coconut cappuccino whilst out shopping with peanut phd bar.
Dinner: Peking style ribs with roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream LC vanilla and raspberry granola

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Autumn is here!
With fog (yesterday), storm (today), rain, falling leaves, no more unbearable heat, and Brussels sprouts on offer!

I thouroughly enjoyed my first sprouts of the year. After cooking and draining I added sharp blue cheese to the pot until melted and had some crispy fried bacon rashers on top.
With it I had some kind of high end and too expensive jalapeno burger which was 50% off from my local supermarket, which was remarkably tasty, fried with onion, oyster mushrooms and of course a chilli pepper and garlic.

Friday will be the same meal (enough sprouts for two meals in a bag, and two burgers in a package) and i'm already looking forward to it! :hungry:

Tomorrow I will be eating out with my aunts, a thank you from them because I sewed them a couple of covers for the winches of their sailing boat :)

120133083_10221870423944097_3301499168676517762_o.jpg

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb glad you are home safe and sound, and very glad you made it in time for the enema to do its business. I don’t know what picolax is but I think I can imagine.
@Chook I missed a few days and didn’t notice your insulin post, I am sorry but hope it will be a good thing in the end. Spring onion sandwiches and cucumber in malt vinegar are both memories from family ‘dos’ in my childhood.
@ziggy_w those DD rolls look wonderful, do you add whole seeds to yours? I remember you saying you don’t separate the egg, in fact I think you said you don’t always put egg in at all?
Today started with the highest fbg for ages, very disappointing. Had another black coffee to cheer myself up.
Lunch was Brie, chorizo, olives and rocket with olive oil.
Dinner a 3 egg omelette with spring onion, pepper and quite a lot of cheese then a sort of hard mousse made with melted 100% chocolate mixed with coconut oil and a spoonful of milled flaxseeds. Some cream swirled in at the end then left to set.
Just drank the trial sample of raspberry gin. the boozy raspberries would have been nice on top of the mousse.

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They didn't by the time they changed the name to BHS - the two stores i remember sold the food upstairs.

LOL I avoid supermarkets as much as possible by having home delivery but we do go to a butcher for Mr C's meat. My village has, over the years, lost virtually all its lovely little shops all we have left is a butcher (astronomically expensive) and a bakers which runs out of bread every day by lunchtime.
I occasionally have a home delivery (mainly if I need bulky or heavy items and I've got one coming on Sunday which is mainly loo and kitchen rolls and canned drinks) but in the main I go out to the shops as it gets me out and I get to see and speak to people. I shop largely at the Little Waitrose and the M&S Simply Food near me and also some small independents. After many years, I know quite a lot of the staff in these shops and chat to them. It makes shopping a more pleasant experience and widens my world, which has narrowed significantly in recent years.

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry @Antje77 they were bought ready made from Tesco, just chucked them in the oven!
You should have said they were made to an old family recipe, handed down from your Chinese great, great grandmother who came to the UK in the 19th century and you have been sworn to secrecy as to its details. :)

Reactions: zauberflote

Sarbak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All of the other things
I thouroughly enjoyed my first sprouts of the year. After cooking and draining I added sharp blue cheese to the pot until melted and had some crispy fried bacon rashers on top.
ohmigod droooooooool. I love sprouts anyway, but I've never had them with blue cheese and bacon and this sounds HEAVENLY. Just checked my fridge and I have all three in stock. Guess what I'm having for lunch tomorrow!!!! :joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
bit peeved today. We are away and had a pub booked tonight so had a brunch of mushrooms, fried egg, slice of chorizo and a few nuts

D was ham hock with a teaspoon of piccalilli, belly roast pork with cider sauce and bubble and squeak ( which i only had 2 mouthfuls of). Hubby had the cheese plate for dessert so I ate the blue cheese and tried tiny bit of the chutney. Drank 1 brandy and water. Had 3 of hubbys whitebait
Good choices, I thought!
Well that lot sent me up to 10.5 after 2 hours, and after 4 I'm still at 8.5
I am getting so fed up at just choosing burgers or steak when out. I really thought tonight would be ok

Reactions: maglil55