Unsure

Gemini1

I have had diabetes 2 since last year , I am on diet base only ...I have had eye and feet check and am due an eye check in Oct but apart from that I've moved home and area and have been lost in the system no one is watching me with my diet anymore ..my blood sugars go from 3.8 up to 12.2 in the same day ..do I need medication ..do I contact my doc to get in the nurse programme again ..I'm worried alone and confused I must confess to not thinking about it much either ...

Sarbak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All of the other things
I have had diabetes 2 since last year , I am on diet base only ...I have had eye and feet check and am due an eye check in Oct but apart from that I've moved home and area and have been lost in the system no one is watching me with my diet anymore ..my blood sugars go from 3.8 up to 12.2 in the same day ..do I need medication ..do I contact my doc to get in the nurse programme again ..I'm worried alone and confused I must confess to not thinking about it much either ...
Hi Gemini - welcome :)

If I was in your shoes, I'd get myself registered at the nearest surgery and make an appointment for a review with their diabetic nurse. I'm not sure if you've been getting 3 monthly HbA1C checks done during your first year, but that seems to be what's recommended and it's what I'm planning to do (diagnosed in May and just had my first review).

I haven't done any finger prick testing yet myself, but from what I've read on here, 12.2 is pretty high. Are you on a low carb diet? That seems to be the trick for a lot of people and it's what I'm doing, although not quite as low carb most days as the Keto folk.

Get registered, get a review, keep your chin up and watch those carbs :)

Reactions: SaskiaKC

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You mention diet, but you're not especially specific on what diet you're following. There's so many! We can't diagnose on here and tell you what medication you might need, but we could give some pointers... What are you eating? Because usually when people mention diet they mean they cut calories and fats. And that doesn't work well for blood sugars. Yours are relatively high (mine were worse upon diagnosis mind you), so i'm guessing you're still eating foods high in carbohydrates? So... What are you eating? Can you improve your diet? https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html should point you in the right direction. And get yourself signed on with some GP somewhere, because you do need to get checked regularly.

Hope this helps some...
Jo

Reactions: SaskiaKC and Sarbak

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Be aware that anyone diagnosed with diabetes should be registered as such in the NHS system and have an annual review by a GP. Make sure you are registered (my GP forgot) and chase the surgery if needed. Often those newly diagnosed with have a 3 or 6 month review. You need an HBA1C blood test and may be should be on Metformin tablets. Do follow a low-carb diet.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry that you feel so isolated with this. As a Diabetes UK volunteer I've been contacted by people in your position twice recently (they both wanted some face to face support) now but at least you have found us here!
I know provision varies across the country but you could start by asking what if any diabetes education is around for you.
There are also some good digital courses here (low carb) and X-Pert Health.
In the meantime the face you've been tracking your glucose levels is great. If you can look at what those are on waking and 2 and 4 hours after a meal that will tell you how your body is handling said meal.
I am not suggesting that you test like this every day but would suggest you try it on a typical day's meals and note down if any snacks you are having are causing any sudden rises too.
I think if you do get registered with a GP surgery Diabetic Nurse, you would be seeing them infrequently in any case but they will be useful for getting your baseline blood tests done etc. so that you can see whether what you are trying with diet/exercise is having an effect.
Bottom line is that your thought and actions here are what's going to count going forward. Might even be worth asking Diabetes UK if there are some volunteers in your area that you could link up with.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hello and welcome,

I am sorry you feel so isolated and haven't had the help you need. That has changed when you found this site. I like so many others here lowered our carb intake dramatically after diagnosis and it has made all the difference in the world.

you seem to be already getting your levels so my suggestion is to try to lower your carbs and see what that does to your blood sugar levels- I keep to less than 20 grams a day but many don't do it nearly as strict. ultimately the choice is yours as to how strict you go- but regular testing allows you to make that choppy based on information.

read around her and post- people here are very willing to help and have provided me with more support than I expected.

good luck and welcome.