Metformin and weight gain

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been Type 1 for 40 years and have also taken metformin for about half that time, two slow release 1g tablets after evening meal. Recently I have been having problems with an upset stomach and diarrhea. Could this be the metformin and if so how when I have been taking it for ages? Also if I did take less would my weight go up? I still don't really understand how metformin works and I am not really sure if it does help my blood sugar. Can anyone explain to me why a Type 1 takes it...is it to help with the blood sugar because now I am a much better behaved diabetic do I'm not sure if I need it. Cheers :)

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Metformin reduces the amount of glucose produced by the liver. It is usually used by people with insulin resistance, so mostly T2s. T1s can also benefit from it, especially if there are weight and/or reduced insulin sensitivity problems. If you don't have these issues., maybe you don't need it. The metformin could be causing stomach problems. I would stop it for a while and see what happens.

Taniae

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only way you will know if it’s the metformin is to stop it for a few days (obviously you should speak with your health provider).
I have been on metformin from 2014, T2 and I can honestly say it’s caused constant stomach issues for me but I stuck with it until end of June this year When I had enough. I stopped it myself, bought a Blood glucose monitor, went low carb to control the numbers.
My running to the loo issues stopped more or less straightaway and my blood glucose numbers were marginally different without the metformin. In my opinion not worth the constant dashing to the loo and the anxiety surrounding this.
Daily testing before meals and 2 hours after is working for me .
Hope your stomach settles soon.

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Metformin reduces the amount of glucose produced by the liver. It is usually used by people with insulin resistance, so mostly T2s. T1s can also benefit from it, especially if there are weight and/or reduced insulin sensitivity problems. If you don't have these issues., maybe you don't need it. The metformin could be causing stomach problems. I would stop it for a while and see what happens.

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, thanks for replying and for explaining that. I have tolerated metformin for all these years so I am a bit confused if it is the metformin causing the stomach issue. But yes it is a good idea to reduce the dose and see what happens :angelic:

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The only way you will know if it’s the metformin is to stop it for a few days (obviously you should speak with your health provider).
I have been on metformin from 2014, T2 and I can honestly say it’s caused constant stomach issues for me but I stuck with it until end of June this year When I had enough. I stopped it myself, bought a Blood glucose monitor, went low carb to control the numbers.
My running to the loo issues stopped more or less straightaway and my blood glucose numbers were marginally different without the metformin. In my opinion not worth the constant dashing to the loo and the anxiety surrounding this.
Daily testing before meals and 2 hours after is working for me .
Hope your stomach settles soon.

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, that's really helpful thank you :) I have been getting nasty cramps and having to be quick to the loo. Yes the only way I will know if it's the metformin is to stop it and obviously if the stomach thing carries on I will have a good idea that it's something else! And to see if it is really helping my blood sugar, mine are pretty good so again it would be interesting to see if no metformin affected them. Thank you.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm on insulin for LADA and also Metformin SR. My DN suggested I stayed on it as it has other helpful effects (e.g. reduction some cancer risks etc). It's not important if you are slim and on insulin but it does reduce BS by a tiny bit more