What are people thinking about a second lockdown?

Are you worried about a second lockdown?

• Yes

Votes: 34 52.3%
  • No

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • I don't care

Votes: 9 13.8%

• Total voters

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so glad my AS son decided to defer. I hope that doesnt sound selfish, but with AS on top of everything else, I dont think he could have coped and it could have had serious consequences for his mental health.
Agree. My ASD person is safe at home. Uni was a step too far at 18 and certainly wouldn’t be right at present. Although they have found an excellent job that suits well so maybe it wasn’t such a bad choice anyway. We considered deferral but the alternatives were not attractive either. No travel possible, few jobs available and none that offer a career choice he wants or even relevant experience.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Not at all worried about a second lockdown my concerns started when we began phasing out the one we are supposed to be in far too soon.
Schools pubs anywhere you can eat hairdressers all opened up far too soon and completely unnecessary.
The borders we should have closed in february should still be closed. Those people that got stuck abroad should unfortunately still be there. Or an quarantine ships or those sea-forts that were on the news recently should be commandeered for the purpose

We're letting illegal economic migrants on to our shore instead of intercepting them and returning them to france. Colleges have re-opened and Universities are starting to. All pathetic and far too lax and too soon.

I'm sorry genuinely sorry that many jobs will be lost my own included. We can't expect to furlough pay to last forever or businesses to endure when they are closed.

Whingeing on the TV earlier today about event related jobs.. I'm sorry they are for now a thing of the past . And inevitably the Arts lot were jumping on any band waggon they can, always wanting money they have not earned. Like I've said before people will pay what they think its worth to see the art they want to see as for the rest the 'artists' will just have to accept people can afford to not waste money at the current time.

It is undoubtedly going to get a lot worse before things get better... but if they keep employing half measures we might have to ask what it their motivation for trying to make things worse.
I agree with quite a lot of what you say but I must take issue with you about your statement that we’re letting a lot of economic migrants in. Many of these people are escaping war and persecution in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan. It must be bad for them to pay so much to set off in a fragile boat to try to reach a different country.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If there’s another lockdown, and it saves some lives, bring it on.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes but you have to balance that with the lives that are lost because of lockdown. Those that are too scared to go to hospital those whose mental health is so affected they take their own lives.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes but you have to balance that with the lives that are lost because of lockdown. Those that are too scared to go to hospital those whose mental health is so affected they take their own lives.
There are separate hospitals being designated as COVID and non Covid in an effort to prevent that happening again, and I really really hope there’ll be more support for those whose mental health suffers.

Reactions: zand and urbanracer

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
that was not due to the lockdown as a tool. It was and is due to the way the government decided to lockdown. A proper lockdown, with separate hospitals etc so that routine and urgent non-covid stuff is treated and diagnosed is a good idea. Closing all the mental health and support facilities and resources is not necessary in a lockdown, it was government decisions based on saving money and a decade of not enough nursing and health care staff.

Reactions: JRT

Tannith

BANNED
There are separate hospitals being designated as COVID and non Covid in an effort to prevent that happening again, and I really really hope there’ll be more support for those whose mental health suffers.
The hospital that I was referred to for 3 different appointments is the same one that deals with the local covid cases. I am not at all convinced that it would be safe there, so I have refused to go, at least till there is a vaccine. Mental health however can usually be dealt with by telephone appointments with GPs and other doctors, who can give postal prescriptions, or by telephone counselling. My mental health is getting a little wobbly though it is my own choice to stay at home. I have to remind myself daily to make efforts to avoid anxiety and more often depression as I do hate not seeing anyone except the one person I live with. However it would not be possible anyway for me to see most of my family as they live too far away (in the case of one set of grandchildren, abroad) and they and I have no choice but to use public transport.

Reactions: JRT

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mental health however can usually be dealt with by telephone appointments with GPs and other doctors, who can give postal prescriptions, or by telephone counselling..

Oh I so wish that was true! My sons mental health would be sorted years ago! Mental health is far more than pop a few pills and have a chat!

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I so wish that was true! My sons mental health would be sorted years ago! Mental health is far more than pop a few pills and have a chat!
I agree totally, and sorry to hear about your son

Locking people away (like in care homes) with little no no human interaction is not solved by a few pills and chat. You are absolutely right.

I know people who work in care homes and the residents are wasting away. Dying slowly (or even suicidal)

the impact of being locked away cannot be dismissed

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If there is another lockdown, and it would be only after a lot of arguing between the medical advisors and the politicos, then it would have to be better managed than the first one.

bugs1952

Hi everyone - my area is under a second lockdown but I see people walking around not wearing masks and on the bus I was the recipient of some very rude language for talking about why we should we be wearing masks. I'm really worried about what could happen this winter. What has been your experience? I'm trying to get as much vitamin D as possible before winter!
We are also on a local lockdown and it really bugs me that people aren't taking this seriously. I haven't seen my daughter for 8 months as she lives down South and is a front line key worker. I haven't seen my sister for nearly a year as she lives abroad. I just think that we should all take the necessary steps to keep ourselves and others safe.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
that was not due to the lockdown as a tool. It was and is due to the way the government decided to lockdown. A proper lockdown, with separate hospitals etc so that routine and urgent non-covid stuff is treated and diagnosed is a good idea. Closing all the mental health and support facilities and resources is not necessary in a lockdown, it was government decisions based on saving money and a decade of not enough nursing and health care staff.

I agree that would be the ideal but I am unsure how that works in practice if tests are taking so long to come back and some people are asymptomatic.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My work involves many, many people who are suffering from mental health issues usually when they have reached a critical point . Nothing takes the place of face to face consultations with a person who actually gets to know you and follows up over appropriate periods of time and I can say without doubt a telephone call/calls does not cut it for the majority of people. Apart from which there are so many levels and types of mental health illnesses and one size most definitely does not fit all. If ever there was an essential service to be provided it is proper help and support for people like your son. I wish you the very best and agree totally with your post. x

Reactions: Jbicheno and ert

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For someone who has been recently diagnosed with depression and severe anxiety, within the last three months because I was made redundant, I had a breakdown, my life has been turned upside down.
The point about phone calls instead of face to face, I have had two phone calls from my counsellors, and one face to face meeting.
My GP was concerned enough about me, that she brought me in to the surgery to have a talk about my mental health.
She immediately put me on anti-depressants.
The face to face meetings were much more personable and body language is of high importance to having to deal with people.
I have worked in industry for thirty years, then the sports industry for over ten years and the way you present yourself and how you react to situations, to deal with complications and problem solving.

I have always had a strong mindset and I wouldn't have lasted long in work without having a perspective of how to treat people.

I have a counsellor who has been picked due to my circumstances. I would like to think that I would prefer to have face to face sessions. But I don't think I will because of local restrictions.

I live very close to public football pitches, the local children's, youth and open age leagues started this weekend and you wouldn't think that there was local restrictions, and I know the league's have given all the teams advice about staying away from congregating on the touchlines. If I had known that most parents, friends or those just watching, I would have liked to watch my grandson play yesterday!

As a liberal minded person and have an opinion about certain things, the biggest problem that the country has, is that the test, track, trace, isolate scheme was given to companies who were given a lot of money, to get testing to be as in Boris opinion world class. For all that expense, it should have been running in late March, there should be testing stations, like we have polling stations and enough to cope with having everyone trying to go back to school, work, uni, office or supporting your local pub, club, sport without having to travel hundreds of miles to get a

Why do frontline personal in hospitals have to book a test away from their place of work? Surely a hospital should provide tests regularly enough for the staff and patients!
Why does an elderly cancer patient travel a lot of miles by his daughter to get a test?
Why doesn't the hospital provide a triage test before admitting the patient?

The reason, the government in its wisdom did not use national health England!
There is quite a number of local departments of this body and they deal and decide actions taken with the local experts and health authorities and more importantly the police and local councils.
If a breakout of meningitis occurs, they are the people who sort it out and have the authority to enforce any necessary actions required.
I watched the novochoch event in Salisbury, it was a lady who was in charge of the response to the poisoning. These people are trained to organise to protect the public.

Going private, has cost many lives!

The economy took over ten years to recover, according to the so called experts!
Tory policy of cutbacks did not do anything except increase the debt.
Our children will be paying for the decisions made by this government for a long time!
And we are still trying to sort out our oven ready brexit.
The number of people trying to claim universal credit will soar, but how many can't claim?
The actual number of people made jobless during this period is probably double the numbers given by the government.

I am worried about the covid, I'm worried about what it will do to our communities especially the poorest areas, I'm more worried about the way the experts can't agree and how the government has mishandled the preparation for the virus.
I knew in November that a virus was causing alarms in China. I knew, because of the December election was taking the government away from serious concern about the virus, and because of the government belief in being open for business.

Take care, stay safe.

Reactions: JMoli and Jbicheno

aard

For someone who has been recently diagnosed with depression and severe anxiety, within the last three months because I was made redundant, I had a breakdown, my life has been turned upside down.
The point about phone calls instead of face to face, I have had two phone calls from my counsellors, and one face to face meeting.
My GP was concerned enough about me, that she brought me in to the surgery to have a talk about my mental health.
She immediately put me on anti-depressants.
The face to face meetings were much more personable and body language is of high importance to having to deal with people.
I have worked in industry for thirty years, then the sports industry for over ten years and the way you present yourself and how you react to situations, to deal with complications and problem solving.

I have always had a strong mindset and I wouldn't have lasted long in work without having a perspective of how to treat people.

I have a counsellor who has been picked due to my circumstances. I would like to think that I would prefer to have face to face sessions. But I don't think I will because of local restrictions.

I live very close to public football pitches, the local children's, youth and open age leagues started this weekend and you wouldn't think that there was local restrictions, and I know the league's have given all the teams advice about staying away from congregating on the touchlines. If I had known that most parents, friends or those just watching, I would have liked to watch my grandson play yesterday!

As a liberal minded person and have an opinion about certain things, the biggest problem that the country has, is that the test, track, trace, isolate scheme was given to companies who were given a lot of money, to get testing to be as in Boris opinion world class. For all that expense, it should have been running in late March, there should be testing stations, like we have polling stations and enough to cope with having everyone trying to go back to school, work, uni, office or supporting your local pub, club, sport without having to travel hundreds of miles to get a

Why do frontline personal in hospitals have to book a test away from their place of work? Surely a hospital should provide tests regularly enough for the staff and patients!
Why does an elderly cancer patient travel a lot of miles by his daughter to get a test?
Why doesn't the hospital provide a triage test before admitting the patient?

The reason, the government in its wisdom did not use national health England!
There is quite a number of local departments of this body and they deal and decide actions taken with the local experts and health authorities and more importantly the police and local councils.
If a breakout of meningitis occurs, they are the people who sort it out and have the authority to enforce any necessary actions required.
I watched the novochoch event in Salisbury, it was a lady who was in charge of the response to the poisoning. These people are trained to organise to protect the public.

Going private, has cost many lives!

The economy took over ten years to recover, according to the so called experts!
Tory policy of cutbacks did not do anything except increase the debt.
Our children will be paying for the decisions made by this government for a long time!
And we are still trying to sort out our oven ready brexit.
The number of people trying to claim universal credit will soar, but how many can't claim?
The actual number of people made jobless during this period is probably double the numbers given by the government.

I am worried about the covid, I'm worried about what it will do to our communities especially the poorest areas, I'm more worried about the way the experts can't agree and how the government has mishandled the preparation for the virus.
I knew in November that a virus was causing alarms in China. I knew, because of the December election was taking the government away from serious concern about the virus, and because of the government belief in being open for business.

Take care, stay safe.

goverment agencies are just as imcompetent as private companies.

Post edited by moderator to remove text which contravenes forum rules on acceptable language

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is all a shambles and unbelievable illogical.

Today, Liverpool (among other towns) is under stricter restrictions. It has the highest rate of infections in the country. All well and good. However, my borough has been under the exact same restrictions, no differences, for about 2 weeks. Yet at the time it was put under these restrictions about 2 weeks ago we had less than half as many infections per100,000 than Liverpool. I fail to understand.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
goverment agencies are just as imcompetent as private companies.

Post edited by moderator to remove text which contravenes forum rules on acceptable language
Well yes I do agree but its usually the cronyist type companies (BAE, Serco, Group 4) that get big contracts due their contacts within the government then screw them up with little accountability it seems. These are the worst of all worlds.

Reactions: Jbicheno