Is our diet killing us - Lancet Report

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47734296

I note the not-so-subtle references out to the Global Planetary diet that 'Some' would want to enforce on all of us, which gives me reason to believe this may be a biassed report, since the Lancet is closely and formally involved with that 'Some'.

Sarbak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All of the other things
The only thing this article did to me was make me crave fish and chips :facepalm:

Sarbak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All of the other things
ewwww I hate liquorice - at least I'm not in any danger of dying from that!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Sloppy rhetoric being pushed as good nutritional advice, I better go and eat my 126g of wholegrains before I keel over.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only thing this article did to me was make me crave fish and chips :facepalm:
Funnily, last night I gave into my craving, and had a whole Jumbo battered cod to myself. Huge chunk of it that filled a large dinner plate on its own. Pushed my bgl up something rotten (a mere 1 mmol/l at the 2hr mark, and back to 4.6 two hours later. And I ate all the batter too!!) The Cat was disgusted at my piggery. But I did add salt and there was not a wholegrain in sight so obviously a poor dietary choice in light of that article,

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is one diet that has been promoted on this site as being suitable for diabetics and those with metabolic disorder, and it is endorsed by the NHS apparently. It is the Ma-Pi diet, and it is a macrobiotic diet akin to those that the hippies of my era followed, based on lentils, beans, other legumes and very little else. I see that in Italy the founder of the sect that was pushing it has been jailed for manslaughter and the diet has been outlawed in that country, but is still legal in the UK. It killed many people in Europe through malnutrition. But it had wholegrains and was 65% carbs 21% fat and the rest fibre and vegetable protein. This is IMHO one diet to avoid.

Reactions: lindaburner

Sarbak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All of the other things
Funnily, last night I gave into my craving, and had a whole Jumbo battered cod to myself. Huge chunk of it that filled a large dinner plate on its own. Pushed my bgl up something rotten (a mere 1 mmol/l at the 2hr mark, and back to 4.6 two hours later. And I ate all the batter too!!) The Cat was disgusted at my piggery. But I did add salt and there was not a wholegrain in sight so obviously a poor dietary choice in light of that article
My jealousy levels just shot up to 4,500. I could easily not bother with the chips... but oooooh battered fresh cod with lashings of salt and vinegar. *** :grumpy:

Ed. by mod for language

Last edited by a moderator:

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My jealousy levels just shot up to 4,500. I could easily not bother with the chips... but oooooh battered fresh cod with lashings of salt and vinegar. *** :grumpy:
From South Shields or Whitby with mushy peas. Thanks for the food lust!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never understood those who smother perfectly tasty fish in greasy batter! Even as a child I would take it off. In Whitby we love the Magpie restaurant which does simple unadulterated fish dishes inside for connoisseurs like me, while hoards queue outside for the battered version. What they taste in it I just cant get, sorry!

Reactions: Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I have never understood those who smother perfectly tasty fish in greasy batter! Even as a child I would take it off. In Whitby we love the Magpie restaurant which does simple unadulterated fish dishes inside for connoisseurs like me, while hoards queue outside for the battered version. What they taste in it I just cant get, sorry!
oMG

OMG I love the Magpie!! There's another excellent chippy nearby at at Wetwang.

Good batter should never be greasy if properly drained.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I perfectly understand those who smother their greasy batter in catsup. Yummy!

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
ewwww I hate liquorice - at least I'm not in any danger of dying from that!
Oh I love licorice, its pretty rare around here, black gold! I once took programming project where the payment was in licorice and jelly belly’s

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47734296

I note the not-so-subtle references out to the Global Planetary diet that 'Some' would want to enforce on all of us, which gives me reason to believe this may be a biassed report, since the Lancet is closely and formally involved with that 'Some'.

OMG - oh yeah sure - it's salt that is killing us - not unprecendented levels of sugar and excess carbs in everything except whole foods.

And too little fruit? Who are they kidding?

Not us, thank goodness. Because we need the truth about food.

Reactions: Jam&Scones

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
"Both agreed there needed to be a shift from focusing on nutrients (fat/sugar/salt) and on to which actual foods people should eat."

Neither James Gallagher, Health and science correspondent, or the editors at BBC News, understood that 'Fat' is in fact a major food group/macro nutrient? And not a ultra processed plant food like sugar and a mineral like salt?

Hmmmmm.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Oh I love licorice, its pretty rare around here, black gold! I once took programming project where the payment was in licorice and jelly belly’s

nickm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The BBC has reported that “a traditional Mediterranean diet typically includes pasta and rice at every meal.” Who considers them a reliable news source?

M

Member496333

The BBC has reported that “a traditional Mediterranean diet typically includes pasta and rice at every meal.” Who considers them a reliable news source?

The Mediterranean Diet is a bit like The Science. Hardly anyone really knows what it means. And the BBC is a comic.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

Personally, I'd consider that a horrendous source.