What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Did a three meal day today - good to mix it up! Busy day yet again and felt in need of nutrition!
Breakfast after wonderful early morning swim - came back cold and hungry! One rasher bacon and egg on half a toasted chaffle
Lunch tin of sardines in olive oil with handful of mixed nuts
Mid pm half a DGF millionaires shortbread
Dinner two lamb chops, stuffed mushrooms and celeriac chips with glass of red wine followed by DGF choc and raspberry brownie with a few berries and cream.
Booked for swim in am - may have breakfast again if hungry.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Antje77 and @Sarbak - Drool!!!!! Sprouts and Gorgonzola (my favourite blue cheese are now on tomorrow's shopping list! Just don't know what to put with it.... maybe the veggie 'smoked ham' I've got in the fridge (unless Mr C has snaffled it). Failing that probably a Linda McCartney burger.

Sarbak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All of the other things
@Antje77 and @Sarbak - Drool!!!!! Sprouts and Gorgonzola (my favourite blue cheese are now on tomorrow's shopping list! Just don't know what to put with it.... maybe the veggie 'smoked ham' I've got in the fridge (unless Mr C has snaffled it). Failing that probably a Linda McCartney burger.
Drool indeed!!! I have some ranch steaks in the fridge and more sprouts, so I'm definitely pigging out on this again tomorrow evening. Note to self - must skip breakfast or lunch to allow for such treatery!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My one slice of wholemeal sourdough bread cost me a rise of 2.7, to 9.2, not as bad as expected. Was it worth the guilt and angst? Maybe. Will test again at some point as started higher than usual due to a lurking sore throat. I dont really want to fall into the habit of thinking I can eat bread as I haven't actually missed it much

In the excitement forgot to mention breakfast of ff greek, seeds and 2 strawberries and lunch of carrot and courgette soup and a cheese and ham omelette in a cafe. I suspect the soup had potato in

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I dunno how low you all go & or tolerances?

But last night my wife rustled up this with chicken eggs thick cut hams.. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/celeriac-hash-ham-hock-duck-eggs
They put the nutritional value to these recipies & what I bolused for on face value. It worked for me with my usual Insulin to carb ratio.. Stunning.!
This sounds like a meal I'd love, and I have a celeriac wanting to be eaten :)
Thanks for the idea, I know what to put on the shopping list now!
with 2 veggie sausages wrapped in streaky bacon.
Love that, it's something I would eat!
And wonderful you liked the sprouts and blue cheese :)

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Mug of coffee with 150 ml of almond milk, tsp of Splenda and 10 ml of double cream
L: 60g of chicken and 50g of Quorn ham with light mayo, a tomato, kimchi, fruit salad with cream, cheese and a Ryvita crackerbread.
Afternoon snack: 20g of 90% chocolate
Pre-supper: 50g of almonds and macadamias, 3 small glasses of sparkling wine with a splash of red vermouth.
Supper:1 rasher of bacon (I'd cooked some for Alastair and there was one left over and it looked lonely. ;) ) Tofu with stir-fried veg and red pepper pesto sauce. A pear.

Total carbs: about 55

The tofu (Cauldron brand). is a good find. It's marinated in soy sauce and comes in little cubes. I fried it in a tiny bit of the leftover fat from the bacon with 150g of stir-fried veg from a bag and then mixed in the last bit of the red pepper pesto sauce. It was delicious :hungry: and only 12g of carbs in total. I shall certainly be doing that again.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast. Nut granola 2x CWC
MID morning CWC
Lunch Ham salad and coleslaw. tea
Dinner, pork chop. Cauliflower, carrots and beans. Glass of wine and then a half glass
Coffee and one square of chocolate, or was it two? Two at total of 6.4g carbs.

Breakfast nut granola and 2x CWC
Lunch: Ham salad, coleslaw. cup of tea
Dinner: pork chop, roasted celariac and courgette. steamed cauliflower, runner beans. Glass of wine. 2 fingers of cheese.
Coffee, 2 squares chocolate as yesterday.
Lemon tea at bedtime.

@Chook If he goes, so do I. Absolutely not getting trapped here for the whole winter on my own.
@Mauriac Oh Yes. Newberry Fruits were my father's favourite. Odd because he didnt generally eat sweet things. I managed to get him a box couple of years ago, but not sure if they are still making them.

Like the idea of sprouts with blue cheese and bacon,So does MrSlim. This could be something for us both, his portion necessarily having less of the yummy stuff.

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just weakened and had a digestive. :arghh: Oh well, 9.2 g of carbs and I've still only had 65g today so could have been worse.

I really dislike sprouts so unfortunately I shan't be trying this dish. The blue cheese and bacon combo sounds nice though. I would have it with some chicory and walnuts instead, for a nice low carb salad.

Reactions: Chook and Antje77

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep missing stuff. Sprouts in blue cheese sounds like a marriage made in heaven thanks @Antje77 definitely one to try.
@Jaylee that celeriac and duck egg hash looks really good. I love the BBCgood food recipes - they always work!
Today I had black coffee as usual but having spent the morning getting cold and wet helping at the community larder I came home starving.
Lunch: Ham and cabbage soup, prepared in IP in advance. A couple of slices of the DD soft seedy bread& butter with it. LC custard to follow and something else I think but can’t remember what. I just remember not being able to get warm or full.
Dinner: glass of the H/m orange gin with soda while cooking. Cod loin coated in the LoDough ‘Southern style coating’ ( I think it works best with chicken but everyone else liked it a lot) with fried mushrooms, wilted spinach and roast aubergine. 2 squares Montezuma’s with orange afterwards.
Best news today we should be able to exchange on our house Tomorrow and complete next Friday, thus the longest house sale in history comes to a limping finish ( hopefully!)

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - 1 slice of seriously low carb bread toasted and buttered washed down with mug of earl grey before rushing out to a hair appointment - oh I feel like a new woman :happy: - I really appreciate being able to do little things now that I used to take for granted. After that walked about 15 mins to local supermarket to get new passport photos done (not that I will be going anywhere soon but 10 year passport out of date early next year so thought I will get organised with it while I remember!) only to find out said supermarket no longer does the digital phots - anyhoo walked back and in total probably walked for around an hour without even trying today and it was a nice dry autumn day so topped up the Vitamin D.;) Went to other supermarket (drove this time it's a lot further way) and got photos done and a few bits and bobs - nice cosy jumper as they were doing 25% off win win. Dinner was breast of chicken with Nandos mayo on top and salad with spinach instead of lettuce (I didn't really taste it once the coleslaw, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, cheese etc. was covered over the top of it). A Fulfil chocolate salted caramel flavour vitamin and protein bar from Tesco which tasted soooo good with another cup of earl grey (next time I will probably only have half as it was so filing :hungry: but wanted to see if it affected my BG). It was only 2g of carbs for the whole of the 55g bar which seemed like a real treat.

Sarbak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All of the other things
Best news today we should be able to exchange on our house Tomorrow and complete next Friday, thus the longest house sale in history comes to a limping finish ( hopefully!)
I don't know the history of your house purchase, but congratulations!!!! :joyful: A friend of mine is 2.5 years into buying a house off-plan - - it's a big development being done in stages and her house is in the very last phase which was delayed a bit due to covid. She's hoping to be in by Xmas.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - 1 slice of seriously low carb bread toasted and buttered washed down with mug of earl grey before rushing out to a hair appointment - oh I feel like a new woman :happy: - I really appreciate being able to do little things now that I used to take for granted. After that walked about 15 mins to local supermarket to get new passport photos done (not that I will be going anywhere soon but 10 year passport out of date early next year so thought I will get organised with it while I remember!) only to find out said supermarket no longer does the digital phots - anyhoo walked back and in total probably walked for around an hour without even trying today and it was a nice dry autumn day so topped up the Vitamin D.;) Went to other supermarket (drove this time it's a lot further way) and got photos done and a few bits and bobs - nice cosy jumper as they were doing 25% off win win. Dinner was breast of chicken with Nandos mayo on top and salad with spinach instead of lettuce (I didn't really taste it once the coleslaw, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, cheese etc. was covered over the top of it). A Fulfil chocolate salted caramel flavour vitamin and protein bar from Tesco which tasted soooo good with another cup of earl grey (next time I will probably only have half as it was so filing :hungry: but wanted to see if it affected my BG). It was only 2g of carbs for the whole of the 55g bar which seemed like a real treat.

Did you find the Fulfil bar affected your BG?
Sounds like a good day with the haircut and new jumper.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know the history of your house purchase, but congratulations!!!! :joyful: A friend of mine is 2.5 years into buying a house off-plan - - it's a big development being done in stages and her house is in the very last phase which was delayed a bit due to covid. She's hoping to be in by Xmas.

Thank you. It has been 2.5 years! Lots of hiccoughs on the way but fingers crossed the end is in sight.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Didn't post yesterday, so lots of posts to catch up on.

@zauberflote -- Never thought of it, but now that you say it -- mushrooms do have a texture rather like meat.
@Chook, @maglil55, and @shelley262 -- It took me quite a while to get the DD keto roll recipe to work reliably (at least most of the time) -- I find that the amount of water you add determines whether they turn out hollow or too dense.
@DJC3 -- Yes, I don't use the egg white (found it wasn't really necessary) and add lots of seeds (pumpkin, chia, sesame and flax and also caraway and nigella). With time, I have also substituted some of the almond flour for lower carb ones.
@DJC3 -- Hope your blood sugars have settled a bit today. Also congrats on the sale of your house.
@Annb -- Glad you are now home from your stressful day at hospital. Hope the polyps turn out to be benign and hugs for having to schedule another appointment for the colonoscopy. Do you have a date for this yet-
@Antje77 -- Glad Maartje (aka Maurice) is doing a bit better now. It's hard to watch your pets suffer.
@PenguinMum -- Hugs for not being able to celebrate Xmas with your son. Times are really tough for families. Is there any hope the rules might change before the holidays?
@ianpspurs -- Good to see you back on this thread.
@Sarbak -- Welcome to the thread.
@MrsA2 -- Hugs for the sore throat. Hope you get this get this licked and you feel better soon.
@SlimLizzy -- Hugs for having to leave your cat behind when returning home. I remember how much money, time and effort was involved when we decided to take the cat with us when returning from living in Egypt.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and smoked salmon. About three heaped tablespoons of guacamole and another three tablespoons of baba ghanoush.

Dinner: Nothing to eat, but some dry red wine.

Late night snack: A quarter of a DD keto roll with chicken liver pate and a small piece of cheese.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Two scrambled eggs with spring onion tops and some Manchego cheese. Half a DD keto roll with chicken liver pate. Some baba ghanoush and five radishes. About 10g of 88% chocolate.

Dinner: A hamburger patty with gouda and guacamole. Too much red wine.

Late-night rather substantial snack (can't sleep when I'm hungry): A quarter of DD keto roll with chicken liver pate, one Babybel cheese, half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and beef salami.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@DJC3 three cheers for sale of house! We did all the closing ("exchange"? What my MIL called "passing papers") via secure email in April, bc things were really going downhill fast.
@ziggy_w mushroom texture like.... hot dogs or vienna sausage maybe lol! I meant the full flavor specifically of a grilled portabello was very umami.
Goodnight and good morning soon!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As it is Friday it was always going to be the standard avocado and salmon (with crispy skin:)) massive salad wiv seeds.The bonus is it is an Ember day so no flesh:) There will be several 800 mls mugs of tea, maybe one of coffee and some Chocologic Belgian dark chocolate - spiffing fibre levels chums (see seeds above) but why, oh why, do I need a Tesco :bigtears::bigtears: delivery for it? Sort it out Ocado. Congratulations on the exchange of contracts @DJC3 which I assume lays behind the stress and higher fbgs. Pick up the new car later and haggle with supplier over kit for new en suite (becoming a wet room), bathroom and cloakroom so we can make this place good enough to have it valued then decide what to do next in more congenial surroundings. How long before some (not very) helpful member of my family says I need hot food? I don't and me, LC and hot food are largely incompatible:bigtears::bigtears:

Last edited:

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Brunch made scrambled eggs with cream and 2 pancakes black coffee

Went up the road to buy presents for my sister's birthday and as the day was getting late decided to buy a few items to make a grazing platter so Dinner made grazing platter and had small slice of sourdough baguette with butter topped with Maggie Beer chicken and green peppercorn pate' a piece of brie cheese a strawberry and slice of soppressa salami and now I'm completely full and blaoted so I guess that's dinner.
20200925_184253.jpg

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Breakfast. Nut granola 2x CWC
MID morning CWC
Lunch Ham salad and coleslaw. tea
Dinner, pork chop. Cauliflower, carrots and beans. Glass of wine and then a half glass
Coffee and one square of chocolate, or was it two? Two at total of 6.4g carbs.

Breakfast nut granola and 2x CWC
Lunch: Ham salad, coleslaw. cup of tea
Dinner: pork chop, roasted celariac and courgette. steamed cauliflower, runner beans. Glass of wine. 2 fingers of cheese.
Coffee, 2 squares chocolate as yesterday.
Lemon tea at bedtime.

@Chook If he goes, so do I. Absolutely not getting trapped here for the whole winter on my own.
@Mauriac Oh Yes. Newberry Fruits were my father's favourite. Odd because he didnt generally eat sweet things. I managed to get him a box couple of years ago, but not sure if they are still making them.

Like the idea of sprouts with blue cheese and bacon,So does MrSlim. This could be something for us both, his portion necessarily having less of the yummy stuff.

I didn't think you would want to stay in France on your own again. Not after your experience earlier this year.

Newberry Fruits were my Dad's favourites too which is why I have to buy them every Christmas even though we don't like them. (And marshmallows in remembrance of Mr C's Mum, Ferrero Rocher in remembrance of my Mum and one of those stocking selection packs in memory his Mr C's Father - we don't like any of these but we buy them anyway).

Reactions: maglil55