Immigrating, Visa's and Diabetes

RSzmidt

Hi Everyone,

I've recently joined and am loving reading the forums for tips and advice. Such a friendly community!

So my husband and I met in Canada 8 years ago (he's French, I'm British but we were both studying abroad) and have always planned to move back. We actually have a very good chance of getting a visa because my husband is bilingual (better English than me sometimes!) and has a Canadian degree but I'm concerned we will go through the whole process and be turned down last minute because of the medical burden diabetes brings. Thankfully I have no complications as yet but at 15 years of T1 I fear my luck will run out soon! And I'm sure they would take that into consideration.

Has anyone applied successfully or unsuccessfully to a comparable country (Australia, Canada, USA, New Zealand) and could share any tips? Is it considered too much of a financial burden? I've been speaking to a Director from my company as well so I really don't want to get their support and also get our hopes up if it will result in nothing :-( Any advice would be great.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Lol! This is how I got caught! I was doing my medical checkup for my Singapore visa and they noticed my extremely high blood pressure. Long story short, Singapore gov only wants to know about HIV and Tuberculosis. This the same as the countries you mentioned. It should be no problem at all

the long story is the doctor approved my application, then walked me, holding my hand, to the emergency room and said you need to fix this before you explode. I’m currently fixing it lol.

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Australia only seem to care about HIV and TB for temporary visas, though I had to have an additional complicated heart check for my PR (permanent residency, which can be converted to citizenship after 5 or 6 years) because of my diabetes and the fact that I was on blood pressure tablets. I don't think you'd have a problem as long as your diabetes isn't way out of control.

Reactions: LaoDan

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
probably not a comparable country, but here in Algeria , I got my residency without diabetes being an issue. They checked HIV and TB

Reactions: LaoDan