Bit confused

Garrick

I have had a blood test which showed my Hba1c was 56 I think, my doctor is doing another test, but that is 3 weeks away. I bought a metre and yesterday had a glucose reading of 15 before eating, then after eating 2 hours later it was 8. I am so confused. Help! Sorry Hba1c 63 not 56

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had a blood test which showed my Hba1c was 56 I think, my doctor is doing another test, but that is 3 weeks away. I bought a metre and yesterday had a glucose reading of 15 before eating, then after eating 2 hours later it was 8. I am so confused. Help! Sorry Hba1c 63 not 56
Hello Garrick, and welcome,

I'm sorry about your results, as they do seem quite diabetic, but not dramatically so. What exactly are you confused about? The difference between HbA1c and the numbers on your meter, or the difference between pre- and post-prandial? I'll cover both, hope it'll help.

Your HbA1c is measured in mmol/mol, and is an average of 3 months' worth of blood glucose, weighing more heavily on the most recent 2 weeks. If you're under 42 you're non-diabetic, between 42 and 48 you're pre-diabetic, anything over is considered diabetic. So with a 63 or a 56 you would've been considered diabetic either way, if the next results come back in the same ballpark.

Now, as for the results on your meter, those are a snapshot of current blood sugars, and are measured in a different unit: mmol/l. Fifteen is quite high, you don't want to be over 8,5, as that is where damage to organs and such happens. What your blood sugars do also depends on what you ate. Carbohydrates don't agree with us. Not just sugars, but starches too. Say, if you had a meal of eggs and bacon, your blood sugars could be perfectly fine. If you had spuds or rice, or a sandwich, they wouldn't be. So learn what foods agree which you and which don't, because it would help you figure out how to keep your blood sugars in a decent range. So you see, as you say you ate, but didn't mention what, no-one here can comment on the apparent drop in blood sugars. You either ate something that agreed with you, or one of the measurements didn't go well. (Faulty strips happen, or maybe there was something on your hands like lotion or food remnants? You wouldn't believe how many people think they're really high but just gave a piece of fruit to their kid and didn't wash their hands before testing for instance. And I've had low readings because of sunscreen.). If you think a measurement is off, wash your hands, and test again. See whether there's a big difference.

All in all, you did the right thing, getting a meter. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html should help you get started with a proper T2 diet if you choose that route. Of course, you can go for medication, or a combination of medication and diet, but it helps if you know the basics. Informed choices for the win, and all. :)

I can tell you, you're going to be fine. Honest.
Jo

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I bought a metre and yesterday had a glucose reading of 15 before eating, then after eating 2 hours later it was 8.
Going from 15 to 8 in two hours, with or without eating, would make me suspect the first test was faulty, likely due to something on your finger.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hello and welcome

you've started well by getting a meter and using it and by finding this site.

it is very common to feel confused and stressed and upset when you are diagnosed - I certainly did. when I found this site it changed my life. I went really low carb and tested regularly- my levels are now well into the normal range. I keep them there by very low carbs.

you will find a .lot of information on this site but the like posted by @JoKalsbeek is a great one to start with- a very helpful summary.

read around and post- keep testing and you will find that more and more makes sense .

Good luck and welcome.

Nick99.9

Hi everyone. Newly diagnosed, what a wake up call it is. My blood test from the Drs was 50. I’m 60 years old and I know I drink too much beer , about 12 pints a week. My Dr wants another test in 6 weeks time and has suggested more exercise and trying to lose some weight. Is beer just to high in carbs to be even consumed moderately?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone. Newly diagnosed, what a wake up call it is. My blood test from the Drs was 50. I’m 60 years old and I know I drink too much beer , about 12 pints a week. My Dr wants another test in 6 weeks time and has suggested more exercise and trying to lose some weight. Is beer just to high in carbs to be even consumed moderately?
Hi Nick,

Beer is basically liquid bread, usually. And liquid carbs hit the system harder, spike your blood glucose faster. I'm assuming you're in the UK, so here's a list with low carb beers you could switch to; https://www.google.com/amp/s/macrofriendly.co.uk/best-keto-low-carb-beers-uk/amp/ and if you're in the US, check the dietdoctor.com website for brands that might agree with you better. Mind you, it's not just the beer... It's potatoes, pasta, cereal, rice, bread, fruit, what have you. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ <- that should help you get started, because you know what? A HbA1c of 50 isn't dramatically diabetic. With just a few dietary tweaks, you won't even need a smidge of medication to get back into the non-diabetic range.

You'll be fine.
Jo