What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
This sounds like a meal I'd love, and I have a celeriac wanting to be eaten :)
Thanks for the idea, I know what to put on the shopping list now!

Love that, it's something I would eat!
And wonderful you liked the sprouts and blue cheese :)

i got the sprouts and Gorgonzola Dolce so its in my meal plan for Monday - looking forward to - thanks for the inspiration!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I keep missing stuff. Sprouts in blue cheese sounds like a marriage made in heaven thanks @Antje77 definitely one to try.
@Jaylee that celeriac and duck egg hash looks really good. I love the BBCgood food recipes - they always work!
Today I had black coffee as usual but having spent the morning getting cold and wet helping at the community larder I came home starving.
Lunch: Ham and cabbage soup, prepared in IP in advance. A couple of slices of the DD soft seedy bread& butter with it. LC custard to follow and something else I think but can’t remember what. I just remember not being able to get warm or full.
Dinner: glass of the H/m orange gin with soda while cooking. Cod loin coated in the LoDough ‘Southern style coating’ ( I think it works best with chicken but everyone else liked it a lot) with fried mushrooms, wilted spinach and roast aubergine. 2 squares Montezuma’s with orange afterwards.
Best news today we should be able to exchange on our house Tomorrow and complete next Friday, thus the longest house sale in history comes to a limping finish ( hopefully!)

Brilliant!! Congratulations!!! I hope it all goes smoothly for you now x

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
As it is Friday it was always going to be the standard avocado and salmon (with crispy skin:)) massive salad wiv seeds.The bonus is it is an Ember day so no flesh:) There will be several 800 mls mugs of tea, maybe one of coffee and some Chocologic Belgian dark chocolate - spiffing fibre levels chums (see seeds above) but why, oh why, do I need a Tesco :bigtears::bigtears: delivery for it? Sort it out Ocado. Congratulations on the exchange of contracts @DJC3 which I assume lays behind the stress and higher fbgs. Pick up the new car later and haggle with supplier over kit for new en suite (becoming a wet room), bathroom and cloakroom so we can make this place good enough to have it valued then decide what to do next in more congenial surroundings. How long before some (not very) helpful member of my family says I need hot food? I don't and me, LC and hot food are largely incompatible:bigtears::bigtears:

Oh no, thinking of moving so soon?? How about hot salmon?? ;)

Ocado.... I would love to get a delivery from them... they don't deliver here but do deliver to the other side of the road I live in (the even numbers) but not to my side which is the odd numbers. :banghead:

Reactions: DJC3

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The big monthly shop is all done and put away. M&S, Home Bargains, Lidl, Iceland and Asda. I'm completely exhausted and (drumroll please) by the time we got home my BGs were down to 4.7!!! Woohooo! :wacky:

Loo roll was completely sold out in Asda but there was plenty in Home Bargains - in fact Asda was sold out of several basic products.

Breakfast: huge mug of black decaff coffee
Lunch: a bit of cheese
Dinner: (Mr C cooking) Naked Glory (nice roast chicken thigh like vegetarian protein), halloumi chips, baby leaves salad, tomatoes (last from greenhouse) Mr C's spicy cucumber salad thing, red coleslaw with pomegranate seeds AND he's making a low carb baked lemon cheesecake

We have started Dry October for McMillan Nurses today - a bit early but it felt appropriate as a good friend was yesterday diagnosed with lung cancer (never smoked in her life).:(

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@ianpspurs I will send you my congenial son, who does my grocery shopping for me, very handy for us both bc he works at the store I would be shopping at if I were out in stores! He's 30, and eats no fruit nor vegetables, so we Facetime on our phones when I want him to pick out a new type of produce for us. He is very good now on the avocados, of which we eat between us a whole one per day. Yesterday's lesson was on ripe Bartlett pears, cos it's pear season! MrZF gets those, but I love to smell them.
New car, wet room, and thinking of putting your house on the market, all good. Hope the car is not too aggressively bossy at you, as in swerving your steering wheel to put you smack in the middle of the lane, or giving panic screams if you put it in gear with a door open (mine has that; I hate it!)
@annabell1 what a stunning presentation; all the colors!
@Chook hugs to your friend. I have a friend whose mother never smoked and yet got lung cancer.
Today menu:
Bfast took hours as I left the house at break of dawn to watch grandson while Mommy teaches from home. Started about 6:30 with a boiled egg, finished about noon with the flax crisps/dilute soy. Pecan guacamole and another boiled egg around 8:00.
Maybe can do without lunch
Supper, who knows. Maybe sardines again, definitely cherry tomatoes, spinach/hm dressing, flax crisps/dilute soy.
Barre class this evening before supper. Maybe cat to vet this afternoon....we'll see how he ate for MrZF..

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 absolutley thrilled that you’ve moving in right direction now in house sale - get the fizz chilled ready for completion!
@ianpspurs delighted to see you on the thread - you’ve been missed
Unfortunately missed my usual stress busting swim this morning as had to deal with an issue very early am - ie middle of night - autistic eldest son had plumbing emergency and couldn’t cope so we raced over - we sorted it eventually with emergency plumbers skills and back home early afternoon. I’m just relieved we were nearby and not up at mums!
Late lunch on return a toasted chaffle and two fried eggs
Afterwards half a DGF millionaires shortbread ( @DJC3 yup I chop in half before freezing they are almost twice the size of their other products! They are releasing new products this evening including one with mint icing so feel another order coming on!)
Dinner sea bass in lemon butter with celeriac chips and green beans with dry white wine mixed with soda water followed by DGF gingerbread with yoghurt.
Don’t swim at weekends but planning some resistance training if feeling ok in am. Hoping to get a weeksswims in next week. Should have had flu vaccination today was booked for 12 but had to rebook for next week as otherwise occupied!
Edit just ordered from DGF including exciting new ones choc and mint and also coffee and walnut! @DJC3

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thursday bed 7.7 FBG 7.2 - another odd day for no apparent reason. Still, in the 5's during the day so I'm not letting it concern me. Gee, you have been an industrious lot while I was on grandson duty. Will catch up in detail later. @Mauriac & @SlimLizzy - (sorry @Goonergal) I do remember Granny was very fond of Newberry Fruits. Were they the ones with the liquid centre? Much too sugary now though. @DJC3 - Many congratulations on the house finally going. That will be a load of your mind. I know you're an avid Bake Off watcher like me. Won't say too much in case you've still to watch but, we have a GF Baker this time and the showstopper in a much watch round. Incredibly cruel for week 1!
B. TAG and a Dairylea Triangle
L. Another Dairylea triangle
D. Tried the bit of the butcher's GF steak pie. BG's hit 8 so not too bad but pastry still not to my liking. I did have a tiny boiled potato with it.

Just had one grandson yesterday. Youngest was off to a friend's after school for dinner & play. Quite a peaceful afternoon. My niece was also on Emmerdale last night (she was the detective towards the end). She has a few more episodes coming up. Her Hubby was in Emmerdale a few months ago (he's been in it a few times & Corrie). It's been tough for them with theatres & filming stopped so nice to see them getting work again.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@maglil55 and @DJC3 MrZF and I watched a couple of "Great British" something to do with baking. We thought the judges were very harsh, and the show (as all reality shows) too contrived to keep watching!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 and @DJC3 MrZF and I watched a couple of "Great British" something to do with baking. We thought the judges were very harsh, and the show (as all reality shows) too contrived to keep watching!

haha! That just about sums up every ‘reality’ competition show I have ever tried watching. Sewing Bee was fun, but I think that is the only one I have ever watched more than a couple of episodes. I find the pompous cooking ones unbearable, even for 5 minutes. Lol. I love food, but not food created with that preciousness and snobbery.

today:
Dogs to groomer at a horrifically early hour, with even more horrific traffic. Clearly NO ONE around here is working from home, except myself.
B: macdonalds double sausage thingy. First for months. Not worth the wait. :)
L: chicken broth
D: cheesy mince with a tablespoon of guacamole

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today was even weirder- bed 4.7 FBG 6.1? What is going on. I checked a few times and got the same response.
@Chook, I have to ask, I understand your reasons for buying these things at Christmas but, if you & Mr C don't like them what do you do with them? Also, sorry to hear about your friend. My Mum was another who developed lung cancer never having smoked. @ianpspurs - nice to see you back. We have missed your wit. I too have a new car. The other one broke down once too often so after the 5th total engine failure on the motorway I was permitted to end the lease over a year early for a nominal cost. I've joined the ranks of the self charging hybrid brigade. I had them twice during breakdowns and was amazed how frugal they are on petrol.
I'm back in a can't be bothered phase. I am so fed up cooking.
B. TAG then off to M&S
L. Before school pick up - spoonful of Honduran prawns, spoonful of prawn cocktail, spoonful of mini mozzarella with pesto, 2 lamb koftas and a GF cracker. M&S is so good for no cooking required food. DGF lemon & blueberry.
D. Tex Mex chicken breast stuffed with cheese and with a tomato sauce with spicy beans of various types. Another 2 GF crackers. There were beans I probably shouldn't eat in the mix but it only put me to 6.7 at the 1 hr mark having been 5.3 so not too bothered. Another DGF - Bakewell this time.

@Mrs T 123 - I have given in and ordered the Seriously Low Carb bread. I'll give a loaf to son & DIL as there is no way 2 loaves with fit in my freezer currently. Thankfully their arrival is estimated at 4/5th October currently.

Seeing @ianpspurs back has reminded me, @Tipetoo is still missing. No one seems to have heard anything since he was hospitalised. I do hope he's OK.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: pork scratchings followed by Greek yoghurt, chia pudding flavoured with blackberry and apple concentrated sugar free squash with vanilla and raspberry LC granola.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and white chocolate phd
Dinner: prawn cocktail, leafy salad, coleslaw and a small packet of Cheesies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Depends which one you got. Like Masterchef there are 2 versions of Great British Bake Off - one for amateurs ( which has just started again). Judges on that are Paul Holywood and now Prue Leith (previously Mary Berry). I think they have become kinder since Prue came along.
The professional version is brutal! Benoit Blin is the Main Patisserie Chef at Raymond Blanc's place in Oxfordshire. He's the "kinder" of the judges. Cherish Finden is the Executive Patisserie Chef at the Langham in London and is an excellent patisserie chef but gee she is brutal. She's reduced professional pastry chefs to tears. I stayed at the Langham a couple of times for conferences in my working days and can confirm you have to be outstanding to cook there. Never been to Raymond Blanc's place but that too has top ratings. I try to ignore good Patisserie now .

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Today was even weirder- bed 4.7 FBG 6.1? What is going on. I checked a few times and got the same response.
@Chook, I have to ask, I understand your reasons for buying these things at Christmas but, if you & Mr C don't like them what do you do with them? Also, sorry to hear about your friend. My Mum was another who developed lung cancer never having smoked. @ianpspurs - nice to see you back. We have missed your wit. I too have a new car. The other one broke down once too often so after the 5th total engine failure on the motorway I was permitted to end the lease over a year early for a nominal cost. I've joined the ranks of the self charging hybrid brigade. I had them twice during breakdowns and was amazed how frugal they are on petrol.
I'm back in a can't be bothered phase. I am so fed up cooking.
B. TAG then off to M&S
L. Before school pick up - spoonful of Honduran prawns, spoonful of prawn cocktail, spoonful of mini mozzarella with pesto, 2 lamb koftas and a GF cracker. M&S is so good for no cooking required food. DGF lemon & blueberry.
D. Tex Mex chicken breast stuffed with cheese and with a tomato sauce with spicy beans of various types. Another 2 GF crackers. There were beans I probably shouldn't eat in the mix but it only put me to 6.7 at the 1 hr mark having been 5.3 so not too bothered. Another DGF - Bakewell this time.

@Mrs T 123 - I have given in and ordered the Seriously Low Carb bread. I'll give a loaf to son & DIL as there is no way 2 loaves with fit in my freezer currently. Thankfully their arrival is estimated at 4/5th October currently.

Seeing @ianpspurs back has reminded me, @Tipetoo is still missing. No one seems to have heard anything since he was hospitalised. I do hope he's OK.

Mr C eats them (eventually) or takes them to work for people to help themselves - although with covid I doubt he'll be able to do that this year. I know its silly but its a tradition and a fairly important one this year because his Mum died just before Christmas last year (didn't get buried until the new year) so this feels like our first Christmas without her.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
25.09. 2020
Breakfast nut granola and CWC x2
Morning touching up and clearing up in the new bedrooms. Even cleaned the windows.
Lunch 2 tiny slices wholemeal toast with avocado and ham. 1 cherry tomato and a radish. BG before lunch 5.7 After two hours 7.6 obviously will have to throw the bread- it's not suitable for either of us. More cleaning all afternoon.
Dinner roast chicken, celeriac cauliflower and runner beans, few roasted courgettes. Wine, wine and more wine while we debated the various courses of action open to us. But Mrslim had poached figs. He did reduce the sugar content quite significantly, but still probably something I shouldn't eat. Cheese fingers and more chocolate than I intended, coffee and later lemon tea at bedtime, a nod to low carb . expecting high FBG tomorrow
@maglil55 do understand your can't be bothered phase, with so much else going on in your life sometimes cooking has to take a back seat. Hope you find you mojo again soon.
@zauberflote best of luck with your cat. Vets visits are sometimes traumatic for both pet and owner.
Hugs to all who need them
Stay safe. Here we are getting hemmed in by red zones, but still remaining one of the few low risk areas.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch of 2 scrambled egss and 1 half a slice wholemeal seeded bread

Dinner was a triumph! Came home to find a whole bag of kale left unopened from last weekend (hubby and I have been away) then from garden came green beans and courgettes. Determined to use the kale I boiled it and some green beans for a few minutes then added it to the courgetes which had been stirfried with some chilli, chorizo and salami. Then I spotted the avocados that had been delivered so hard last week were now ripe but huge, so whizzed one to a sauce with some cream and warmed it through the veg with some cheese. Result was a warm, creamy, satisfying, tasty plate of green lusciousness.
Was pleased as I struggle with kale. It seems so tough and a lot of recipes say fry it but that never works for me and I keep buying it and being disappointed. Even more surprising was that both hubby and son scoffed it up too.

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Mug of coffee with 150 ml of almond milk, tsp of Splenda and 10 ml of double cream
L: Chicken with a tomato and kimchi. Cheese with two Ryvita crackerbread
Afternoon snack: some ham and cheese with 2 ryvita (I didn't have much for lunch because we had to go out for Alastair's flu jab and I was in a rush).
Pre-supper: 3 small glasses of sparkling wine with red vermouth and some nuts.
Supper: Tofu with stir-fried veg and katsu sauce. Raspberries and Greek yoghurt, 40g of chocolate and 2 Ryvita crackerbread (goodness knows why)

I forgot to count the nuts as I was was going along so accidentally went a bit overboard on calories (2150) but carbs ok (about 55).

The tofu with stir-fried veg and katsu sauce (a sachet from Waitrose - 3.4g for half a sachet) was very nice, although the little chunks of tofu were rather lost in all the veg. I think I might do it with chicken instead next time. Going low carb is forcing me to use my imagination to come up with dishes that meet my dietary requirements but are interesting and tasty too, which is good.

@maglil55 yes NFs have liquid centres.

I'm not a great fan of cookery programmes but like Masterchef the Professionals. The skills test is great as it is interesting to see how they do it (or fail to do it!)

What is this DGF that people mention? I feel that I'm missing out on something good. :D

@MrsA2 Someone once described kale as being like shredded shower curtain, and I'm inclined to agree!

I just went into Sunday's Waitrose order to amend it slightly and at the end it brought up suggestions based on things I've bought regularly before. I couldn't believe how many high carb things there were. My diet has changed completely in a very short space of time.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mauriac I used to get my dad the jellies too, he wasn't really a sweets person but he liked those - they were far too sweet for me though even before I had the big D.

@DJC3 before I had the fulfil bar I was 4.7 - 2 hours after I had gone up to 6.9 so it possibly did affect me but not really sure as I only had chicken salad for dinner but the other carbs I had with the meal was large dollop of coleslaw, a lot of semi skimmed milk in my tea (baby tea) and also 2 chicken drumsticks I had picked up from the cooked chicken counter in tesco's which were done in a barbeque sauce which I hadn't realised at the time so probably the sauce was highish in carbs too. I picked them up as I was really hungry by this point and I also had the milk as I was beginning to feel I needed something at this point, not just salad. It would have been better had I had it on its own to get an accurate reading - so I had gone up just over 2 - next time I will only have half and test again and I don't think it will have that much of an effect and it certainly felt like a treat - it was lovely and the caramel just melted in my mouth. Big Congratulations on the house sale bet you are glad - happy days!:happy:

@maglil55 The low carb bread is defo worth trying - I am expecting another delivery middle of next week - you only get 12 slices in each loaf - I usually put 2/3 slices in small bags in my freezer and just slip them in between other stuff where there is room so they don't take up a large area of the freezer. I am already thinking about what I will have on sandwiches next week! :)

Hello and welcome @Sarbak

@Chook Ferro roche was my favourite before the big D :hungry: Also, can I please borrow Mr C - I have always wanted my own chef/cook - cheesecake sounds lovely - can you ask him for the recipe for me please?

Brunch - greek yoghurt with flaxseed and goji berries.

Dinner out - mushrooms stuffed with pate (didn't eat the batter), followed by surf n turf (steak with prawns and peppercorn sauce on top) 2 scampi & tartare sauce with a large salad and cheese and coleslaw. Large glass of diet coke. SF jelly when back in house.

Managed 2 walks today - again nice fresh autumn day even nicer when sun was out - probably totalled just under 2 hours so managed 10,000 steps and the rest... no swimmers at the loch - probably getting a bit chilly for them now and got home just before darkness fell at 7.30pm. Got my candles on and just chilling tonight.

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@maglil55 definitely the Mary Berry one. Hard name to forget. We have one called Hell's Kitchen I think but have never watched it that I recall. Real life chefs are brutal enough for me to contemplate. No idea why kitchens are like that. I follow the philosophy of family cooks (not chefs!) that the kitchen is where the neophytes are welcome to come join the generational dance!
@SlimLizzy I didn't take the cat to the vet-- he seems to be fixing it himself. Let us now hope that continues!
@MrsA2 what a win! I like the flavor of kale, and when I microwave chopped curly kale it becomes less tough. @Mauriac shredded shower curtain I laughed out loud!
@Mrs T 123 candles! We used to have a pair of candles at supper every night when the kids were growing up. Then we moved, and kept the cats locked in for several weeks. The only place for the dining room table was against a wall of windows. It was their best vantage point for seeing outside, and since we rarely ate there, it's been impossible to train them out of it. So something furry would get at least singed, and that scares me.
I wound up not having lunch, yay me!, and it was nearly time for barre class when I got home, so my pre-barre was skyr yogurt/olive oil. After barre I was famished and cold (had lain on the floor for 10 minutes after....) and ate both sardines and cottage cheese. The rest as predicted. Then turned heat on on the porch. I'm warm and don't think I'm hungry!plus there's a cat on my lap and somebody nearby has a wood fire in their fireplace....mmmmm smells good!
Goodnight all and Happy Saturday soon!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@zauberflote -- Glad to see your cat is feeling better.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and smoked salmon. A chunk of cheese.

Mr. Z and I went out to meet a friend and had a glass or two of red wine.

Very late dinner: Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and cheese. Some baba ghanoush. One square of 88% chocolate. Nicked some of my husband's döner kebab with some parsley.